Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2016, 02:11 AM   #1

Repairing Pentax P30

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone,
i'm new to this forum and to repairing
I found a P30 on ebay for less than 20$, the camera seemed in good shape without scratches or signs of abuse, the vendor sold the camera as functional but not tested,
I received the camera and i noticed that is not working, the metering display is not showing off and the shutter don't works,

I found in the battery compartment traces of dust of the previous batteries, i attempted to clean the compartment and the contacts with alchool, reinserted batteries, tested again nothing happened, I guess the problem is something regarding electronics but in a repairing lab they asked me over 100$ for restoration so i want to make an attempt with my hands.

Can you give me some advices on what to test first what to do and what to avoid?
I started disassembling the plate under the camera taking every piece in order, i'm trying to pull off the top cover, i removed the 2 screws in front and the 2 on the back, the advance lever and the rewind knob but the cover seems locked on the advance lever side, how can i remove that?

Thanks in advance
Andrea

09-05-2016, 04:57 AM   #2

Before you go too far, you need to be totally sure about the batteries working. For some reason i have found Pentaxes to be quite finnicky about batteries, compartments, and the little holder buttons. Ideally put the batteries in and measure that the voltage is actually getting to where it's needed.
09-05-2016, 05:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Rod Quote
Before you go too far, you need to be totally sure about the batteries working. For some reason i have found Pentaxes to be quite finnicky about batteries, compartments, and the little holder buttons. Ideally put the batteries in and measure that the voltage is actually getting to where it's needed.
thank you Johnny for the reply, i tested the p30 with batteries that work well on my other p30t, i've tried even with fresh new batteries, but no luck even with those
09-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
Do somebody know why the top cover won't get out even if there are no screws?

09-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's got one of the screw-in battery covers, make sure that any corrosion on this has been thoroughly cleaned or scraped off. I have an inherited P3 that was failing to work for this reason; once that corrosion was gone, it worked like a charm.

An alternative is that the state of the camera was misrepresented, in which case the seller should be held accountable (unless you are prepared to spend the extra to get it fixed and are prepared to write off the cost of obtaining the body).
09-05-2016, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have an excellent and fully functional copy of a P30T that you can have for the price of shipping if that costs less than a repair quote. Probably under $20, but depends on where you live. Let me know, I'd like it to go to a home where it will get used.
09-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If it's got one of the screw-in battery covers, make sure that any corrosion on this has been thoroughly cleaned or scraped off. I have an inherited P3 that was failing to work for this reason; once that corrosion was gone, it worked like a charm.

An alternative is that the state of the camera was misrepresented, in which case the seller should be held accountable (unless you are prepared to spend the extra to get it fixed and are prepared to write off the cost of obtaining the body).
i'm having some troubles opening the top cover, i have to remove this nut that seems the last one that block the piece from moving, how can i proceed? i don't know which instrument i have to use

Andrea

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ALE-L21  Photo 
09-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good, strong, medium-sized tweezer could be useful. There are also reasonable camera repair tools on eBay that will make it much easier if you plan to repair of inspect cameras on a regular basis. Oh, and be careful about the direction of the turn, I think this could turn the opposite way, i.e. turning it right may looses it.

Last edited by demondata; 09-06-2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Adding more info
09-07-2016, 04:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
A good, strong, medium-sized tweezer could be useful. There are also reasonable camera repair tools on eBay that will make it much easier if you plan to repair of inspect cameras on a regular basis. Oh, and be careful about the direction of the turn, I think this could turn the opposite way, i.e. turning it right may looses it.
thank you for the reply,
Are you sure that the unscrew can be done with a tweezer, i found that on other pentax models they used rubber pads
09-07-2016, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #10

Or needle-nose pliers. A proper lens wrench is the best thing though
NeewerŪ Professional Flat and Pointed Tips DSLR Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
NB I'm putting the link above just for a picture - I've forgotten which one I have but it looks similar. Basically two flat-head screwdrivers attached together! I'm sure it'll be a normal thread i.e. anticlockwise to unscrew.

If you mean the shutter speed knob - I don't know, it may stay with the top cover.
09-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly what I meant, Johnny Rod. I have several sets that are similar to those in your link, and they work well. There are some really cheap ones, but I strongly advise anyone not to be guided by price alone - they are not sturdy, screws don't lock, points are not aligned, etc. (guess how I know!) Te ones in your link seem fine, there are much more expensive ones as well, probably for pros.
09-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
they are not sturdy, screws don't lock, points are not aligned, etc.
Yes, I have the cheaper one with a single flat cross bar. It has all the problems demon mentions
09-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #13

Original Poster
I went for a cheap one too, I'm gonna give you updates as soon as it put hands on it, thank for the help
09-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #14

The one I have has the pair of bars, but you have to use some real muscle to tighten the screws enough. Often I don't bother unless something is really hard to unscrew. Tweezers unfortunately are never stiff enough unless the screw is loosened. Needle nose pliers sometimes, but I have left a few scratches form those! A pair of flat blade screwdrivers can be used, though it is tricky, but I have had to do that when I can't get the tool onto something small. A bit like this - I learned it on a 45 gallon drum originally too, with a pair of spanners!
NB 45 UK gallons=210 Litres presumably equals 55US Gallons!
09-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hi guys,
I give you some little updates,
i succeed to remove the advance lever nut and consequentially the top cover
Made some contacts cleaning with white vinegar (shutter contact etc) i made the same in the battery compartment,
Tried the camera again with fresh new batteries but it seems dead, my guess is that the acid of the old battery ruined some wires just under the battery compartment,

I'm new to this so i ask some help from the veterans repairers, if and only if my guess is right how can i isolate the ruined wire?
Are there any tricks to diagnose the problem?