Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax MZ-10 & MZ-30 with FG Power Grip not working

Hello everyone,

I have a bunch of used gear that I purchased just for the lenses and will be disposing of the cameras at a swap meet coming up.
I have two MZ-10 and a MZ-30 along with a FG Power Grip.

1) I have put new AA batteries into the FG Power Grip but all three cameras will not turn on when connected with the Grip.
Is there something I am missing here? Does the camera need film in it in order to turn on, or something like that?
I just wanted to test the cameras before I sold them.

2) One of my MZ-10s has it's mirror stuck up and won't stay down in order use the view finder. Is there a way to pop it in place to stay down?

3) I know this wasn't in my title, but I also have a Program Plus and the film advance lever won't pull all the way back an set the shutter like it will on my Spotmatic and K1000, is there something I'm missing here or is it broken?

Thanks again everyone!

09-10-2016, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
2) One of my MZ-10s has it's mirror stuck up and won't stay down in order use the view finder. Is there a way to pop it in place to stay down?
This is a common problem with the MZ/ZX series. Pentax used plastic pinion gears on the motors which in time or use would crack or split. There is no fix other than replacing the gear. A replacement motor from Pentax would come with metal gear but stock of these parts appears to be exhausted, not to mention that Ricoh no longer sells parts to end-users. You can purchase a suitable replacement gear - see that last page of the thread below.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/39450-mz5n-m...ce-manual.html

Note: replacing the gear is not a trivial exercise.

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
3) I know this wasn't in my title, but I also have a Program Plus and the film advance lever won't pull all the way back an set the shutter like it will on my Spotmatic and K1000, is there something I'm missing here or is it broken?
The shutter is probably cocked. It won't release unless you have batteries in it - electromagnetic release unlike your Spotmatic and K1000 which are totally mechanical.