Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #1

Asahiflex and its viewfinder

Hello all.

I am very fascinated by the Asahiflex, it looks really great.
It is a dream camera now, I just want one....
But, the viewfinder, a waist level type, how is it? (That one, the viewfinder is the only thing holding me back.....)
I mean, I have a Rolleicord TLR with one, so I know a bit, but that one offers a huge viewfinder.
Exakta has the same, but that one is far from good, in my mind. Small, hard to se and focus.

How is the one on Asahiflex?
I also se that have a finder on the left side, a sports finder?

Thanks for helping.

09-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The finder on the left side matches a 50mm lens and you could call it a sports finder.

The waist level finder is not easy to use. It is small and dark. The Asahiflex is mainly a collectors item IMHO, not a tool for today's photographer. A pentaprism finder is just so much better.
09-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello and thanks for the reply.
I was afraid so.
Well, stil looks dam cool,
But, maybe, I need to look at the first one with a pentaprism or the K model. I do like it to be ousted to, not just collecting dust.
09-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have an Asahiflex, and agree the WL finder is not real useful. To get accurate focus you need to flip up the magnifier, and then you can't see the whole frame to compose. It is useful on a tripod or for macro, but for general shooting you eithe scale focus and use the top mounted VF, or use the magnifier only for focus and switch to the VF. It's much like using a Leica model A that had no rangefinder - use a focus aid or scale focus, then compose and shoot.

09-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My Father bought an AsahiFlex IIa while on a business trip to NYC in the mid 50s. His came with the 50mm f3.5, he later added the 83mm f1.9 and a 35mm from Sears, along with extension tubes, the bellows, etc. He used it for family photos, and amassed an excellent collection of flower and mushroom closeups, along with some marvelous scenic shots. The 'Flex is best suited to thoughtful, contemplative shooting.

I am now the custodian of the outfit, which needs a serious CLA, etc.

I used the 'Flex back in the day. A 35mm SLR with a waist level VF is not fun. Action shots are almost impossible; the image is reversed right to left. Vertical shots are even worse, since the image is upside down, in addition to reversed right to left. The 'Flex is a beautifully finished camera, looks much like a SM Leica with a folding viewfinder added. But it is best viewed as an icon, rather than a daily user.
09-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the help.
Well, sadly, I was afraid so. It is a nice looking camera, but the cons are a bit to much for me.
09-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
My Father bought an AsahiFlex IIa while on a business trip to NYC in the mid 50s. His came with the 50mm f3.5, he later added the 83mm f1.9 and a 35mm from Sears, along with extension tubes, the bellows, etc. He used it for family photos, and amassed an excellent collection of flower and mushroom closeups, along with some marvelous scenic shots. The 'Flex is best suited to thoughtful, contemplative shooting.

I am now the custodian of the outfit, which needs a serious CLA, etc.

I used the 'Flex back in the day. A 35mm SLR with a waist level VF is not fun. Action shots are almost impossible; the image is reversed right to left. Vertical shots are even worse, since the image is upside down, in addition to reversed right to left. The 'Flex is a beautifully finished camera, looks much like a SM Leica with a folding viewfinder added. But it is best viewed as an icon, rather than a daily user.
Hi

That needs to be used and I really can recommend a CLA. Eric did a really nice job on one of my Asahiflex cameras. That 83mm is a rare gem... Lucky to have it!

---------- Post added 09-14-2016 at 04:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Norwayasahi Quote
Hello all.

I am very fascinated by the Asahiflex, it looks really great.
It is a dream camera now, I just want one....
But, the viewfinder, a waist level type, how is it? (That one, the viewfinder is the only thing holding me back.....)
I mean, I have a Rolleicord TLR with one, so I know a bit, but that one offers a huge viewfinder.
Exakta has the same, but that one is far from good, in my mind. Small, hard to se and focus.

How is the one on Asahiflex?
I also se that have a finder on the left side, a sports finder?

Thanks for helping.
Hi
Where in Norway do you live? if youre close to the Oslo area, you could have a look at one of my Asahiflex cameras and see for yourself.

09-15-2016, 03:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hello Baard Einar, I live in Elverum, but now and then I go to Oslo.
Great to look at one if I can, thanks.
You collect?

Takk.