Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax LX focus issues

Hi All,
Before i send my LX in for a CLA, I was wondering if anyone knows what could be the issue with my LX.
I own 2 LX's and take them with me for citytrips. I noticed after developing that my focus was waaaay off with my Pentax 28mm lens at small apertures. So I bought a new lens as I thought the lens was ready for its pension, but now I have the same issue with my new (second hand Petri 28mm) lens. This time I can see very clearly through the viewfinder that it only focuses in the lower part of the viewerfinder. The rest is blurry, almost like you put a lensbaby on.
I checked if it might be my focusing screen being loose, but it is sitting fine. I took some pics and after developing I have the same issue. The focus is off. While I focus close it is off by a meter or more.
So the question is if anybody knows if anything else might be wrong?
Is it my eyes, my camera or my lens?
Thanks,
Vince

09-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Vince - I'm taking a guess here, but I'm wondering if the mirror is out of alignment?
09-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bumpers under the mirror degrade over time (the same issue that causes the common lazy shutter problem), and the mirror starts sitting out in the wrong position, leading to misfocused images. A competent CLA will include replacement of hte bumpers followed by realignment of the mirror.
09-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thumbs up for using the LX! Which film you prefer?
(And yes, take the camera to CLA).

09-12-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for mirror out of alignment and +1 for CLA
09-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok, I'm sending it in for some probably overdue CLA. Luckily the guy I know has time for it the coming weeks.
He also fixed a rollei 35 se I found at a flea market.

My film of liking is the HP5 at the moment. Just because I only take pictures occasionally and when city tripping. I push to 1600 and develop with microphen.