Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barcel36 Quote
I have an Asahiflex like yours. Attached are a photo shown the diference between the M37 and the M42 versions. The first photo shows the different diameter of the mount, Bottom is the original Asahiflex IIA, up is the "transitional" model with a mount that is used in Pentax AP. In the next photo both mounts are compared with a Tower 26 (Pentax AP). Left original Asahiflex IIA, center Asahiflex IIA M42, left Tower 26. The mount of the M42 Asahiflex was modified to make room for the new wider mount, as is shown in the third photo. It seems to me that this was made by hand.

Finally the last photo shows the original lens, a 58mm f2.4 with the M37 to M42 adaptor required to mount this lens in the new wider mount. Beside the Asahi.Kogaku is the regular 58mm f2.4 used in the Pentax AP and Tower 26.

I also hadn't found any information of this variant. I think that these models are really made by Asahi and are the last runners of the Asahiflex IIa models, when they found some shortage of pieces due the change of models.
Really appreciate you sharing this info. Really interesting. How did you come across the m42 version of the Asahiflex?

Regards, baard-einar

09-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Really appreciate you sharing this info. Really interesting. How did you come across the m42 version of the Asahiflex?

Regards, baard-einar
I found it in Ebay about six months ago, the seller was located in Japan. I have this Asahiflex IIa models:

Asahiflex IIa (50/3.5) M37 s/n 557xx
Asahiflex IIa (50/3.5) M37 s/n 710xx
Tower 22 (50/3.5) M37 s/n 818xx

Asahiflex IIa (58/2.4) M42 s/n 769xx

So it is confusing the M42. If it had a much higher serial number, the last run theory could be an explanation, but there are models (M37) with higher s/n that the M42. Also I had several Asahiflex IIb (M37) and Tower 23 (M37) with serials in the 80xxx range. Maybe the s/n are no so consistent with the date of manufacture like in other brand/models.

I never had seen an Asahiflex IIb, nor a Tower 23 with M42 mount. With the one you own, I had only see three of this Asahiflex IIa M42 models in the last five years that I become interested in them.

Regards,

Álvaro
09-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is really interesting.

Danilo Cecchi writes in his book "The Asahiflex underwent a few subsequent minor modifications during the second half of the 1950's. Some of the Asahiflex IIa cameras were made with the standard 42x1 screw mount." He shows a photo of such a camera on page 38.

Gerjan van Oosten writes in his book "I once saw an Asahiflex camera that was halfway between: it had been adapted with a 42mm mount, probably by an instrument maker. Another time, I even saw an Asahiflex with the mirror box of the Asahi Pentax or another pre-Spotmatic camera. According to Asahi Optical factory records, no Asahiflex camera with 42mm thread were ever produced!"
09-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I did a bit of experimenting with my Asahiflex and an AP, and while the AP mount would fit, it would require a bit of modification to the Asahiflex and possibly the AP flange. The lower edges of the Asahiflex (IIA) mirror box hit the angled edges of the AP flange, as you might expect from the pictures. These two casting edges would have to be trimmed. The top of the AP flange would also be a very tight fit on the flex, as the mirror box is slightly different also, and the top of the Asahiflex flange has more clearance.
Checci's book does show photos of an Asahiflex with the AP flange (angled sides at the bottom), and since it would take a bit of metal removal to fit this after the fact, perhaps the factory did make some as Checci indicates.
Did the pics posted of the Asahiflex with m42 support your findings and concerns? The casting edge you refer to, is it inside the chrome cover?

---------- Post added 09-25-2016 at 12:41 AM ----------

I have an Asahiflex like yours. Attached are a photo shown the diference between the M37 and the M42 versions. The first photo shows the different diameter of the mount, Bottom is the original Asahiflex IIA, up is the "transitional" model with a mount that is used in Pentax AP. In the next photo both mounts are compared with a Tower 26 (Pentax AP). Left original Asahiflex IIA, center Asahiflex IIA M42, left Tower 26. The mount of the M42 Asahiflex was modified to make room for the new wider mount, as is shown in the third photo. It seems to me that this was made by hand.

Finally the last photo shows the original lens, a 58mm f2.4 with the M37 to M42 adaptor required to mount this lens in the new wider mount. Beside the Asahi.Kogaku is the regular 58mm f2.4 used in the Pentax AP and Tower 26.

I also hadn't found any information of this variant. I think that these models are really made by Asahi and are the last runners of the Asahiflex IIa models, when they found some shortage of pieces due the change of models.
I guess those metal strips are part of the flash contact system? The Tower 26 and the m42 Asahiflex seems to share the same design. Any thoughts on this?

Tom wrote about thight fit on the top of the mirrorbox. Do you see the same? And can you use the cover from Tower 26 on the Asahiflex m42 straight off?

Cheers, baard-einar

09-25-2016, 01:02 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
I have four different Asahiflexes (IIA, late IIB, Tower 22 and late Tower 23) that all have serial numbers between 81xxx and 84xxx and all are M37. I'm leaning towards an after purchase modification for the M42 units rather than coming from the factory that way. FWIW the Asahiflex serial numbers do appear to be sequential which is something of a rarity for Pentax 35mm cameras.
09-26-2016, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #21

Did the pics posted of the Asahiflex with m42 support your findings and concerns? The casting edge you refer to, is it inside the chrome cover?

---------- Post added 09-25-2016 at 12:41 AM ----------

I guess those metal strips are part of the flash contact system? The Tower 26 and the m42 Asahiflex seems to share the same design. Any thoughts on this?

Tom wrote about thight fit on the top of the mirrorbox. Do you see the same? And can you use the cover from Tower 26 on the Asahiflex m42 straight off?

Cheers, baard-einar
Sorry but a can´t answer you question about using the cover of the Tower in the Asahiflex body. Right now, I am in a trip and don't have the cameras at hand

regards,

Álvaro
08-08-2021, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry but a can´t answer you question about using the cover of the Tower in the Asahiflex body. Right now, I am in a trip and don't have the cameras at hand

regards,

Álvaro
Hi All,

I have two Asahiflex with M42 mounts.
S/N 78438
S/N 83425

Regards,
Gordon.

08-14-2021, 03:51 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi.

Today a new entry into my collection of Asahiflex SLR arrived. It is the Asahiflex IIA, but what is unsual is the mount, it is an m42.

I don't know what is the truth around these m42 bodies. Accoring to Gerjan van Oosen Asahi Opt.Co never made an m42 variant according to factory records, but according to Danilo Cecchis book, they do exist.

Any one here in the PF with some more info to share?

In the photos that I've added are three Asahiflex IIA bodies. L to R: Asahiflex IIA with a chrome and black version of Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58mm f2.4 m37, Asahiflex IIA with a Takumar 58mm f2.4 m42 and then Asahiflex IIA with the more well known all-chrome Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58mm f2.4 m37. THe other pictures shows the mounts on m37 and m42.
It is easy to mount the mirror housing from an M42 camera onto an Asahiflex. You can see it by the rounded-off shape at the bottom!
I have also seen an Asahiflex that was roughly modified with a file to put on an M42 mount.
My contact person at Asahi Optical specifically confirmed me that they never made M42 Asahiflex cameras
Cecchi says a lot more that doesn't add up, such as how thick the coating that AOCo applied was. Coating is microscopically thin!
Everyone can believe what they want, I will stick to the facts. I did not spend more than 20 years of research for nothing!

Regards, Gerjan van Oosten (Argos)
08-14-2021, 04:06 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Argos Quote
It is easy to mount the mirror housing from an M42 camera onto an Asahiflex. You can see it by the rounded-off shape at the bottom!
I have also seen an Asahiflex that was roughly modified with a file to put on an M42 mount.
My contact person at Asahi Optical specifically confirmed me that they never made M42 Asahiflex cameras
Cecchi says a lot more that doesn't add up, such as how thick the coating that AOCo applied was. Coating is microscopically thin!
Everyone can believe what they want, I will stick to the facts. I did not spend more than 20 years of research for nothing!

Regards, Gerjan van Oosten (Argos)
Hello Gerjan,

That post was written 5 years ago and I have learned a lot since then. I was back then trying to piece together the to me available information on the matter and to get a discussion going. I have great respect for your research and I do not see that I am doubting anything from you, but just pointing out different "offical" information that was out there.

I am sorry that my post upset you, that was not my intention.

Best, Baard-Einar
08-14-2021, 04:42 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Gerjan,

That post was written 5 years ago and I have learned a lot since then. I was back then trying to piece together the to me available information on the matter and to get a discussion going. I have great respect for your research and I do not see that I am doubting anything from you, but just pointing out different "offical" information that was out there.

I am sorry that my post upset you, that was not my intention.

Best, Baard-Einar
understood!