Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Asahiflex unusual model

Hi.

Today a new entry into my collection of Asahiflex SLR arrived. It is the Asahiflex IIA, but what is unsual is the mount, it is an m42.

I don't know what is the truth around these m42 bodies. Accoring to Gerjan van Oosen Asahi Opt.Co never made an m42 variant according to factory records, but according to Danilo Cecchis book, they do exist.

Any one here in the PF with some more info to share?

In the photos that I've added are three Asahiflex IIA bodies. L to R: Asahiflex IIA with a chrome and black version of Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58mm f2.4 m37, Asahiflex IIA with a Takumar 58mm f2.4 m42 and then Asahiflex IIA with the more well known all-chrome Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58mm f2.4 m37. THe other pictures shows the mounts on m37 and m42.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting! I can't help you out with any historic facts, but there are cases where camera knock-offs were made. The most famous case are the Soviet "Leica" cameras. I can't say for sure about this one, though. Maybe you can look for "knockoff" indicators
09-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Custom modification perhaps?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Prototype? To test the new mount?

09-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Custom modification perhaps?
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Prototype? To test the new mount?
The topography of the whole front of the camera is changed. I wonder if the two cameras even share the same chassis.

Steve
09-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One writer said the flange of the lens mount to body casting is identical to the AP, so you can unscrew the Asahiflex mount and replace it with an AP mount. Of course the shims that set the lens to film distance might well be different, as these were chosen for the individual parts.
09-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The topography of the whole front of the camera is changed. I wonder if the two cameras even share the same chassis.

Steve
I've definitely seen the bottom angled like that before...just can't remember where.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #8

Looks like a hybrid between an Asahiflex and an AP.
09-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did a bit of experimenting with my Asahiflex and an AP, and while the AP mount would fit, it would require a bit of modification to the Asahiflex and possibly the AP flange. The lower edges of the Asahiflex (IIA) mirror box hit the angled edges of the AP flange, as you might expect from the pictures. These two casting edges would have to be trimmed. The top of the AP flange would also be a very tight fit on the flex, as the mirror box is slightly different also, and the top of the Asahiflex flange has more clearance.
Checci's book does show photos of an Asahiflex with the AP flange (angled sides at the bottom), and since it would take a bit of metal removal to fit this after the fact, perhaps the factory did make some as Checci indicates.
09-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I did a bit of experimenting with my Asahiflex and an AP, and while the AP mount would fit, it would require a bit of modification to the Asahiflex and possibly the AP flange. The lower edges of the Asahiflex (IIA) mirror box hit the angled edges of the AP flange, as you might expect from the pictures. These two casting edges would have to be trimmed. The top of the AP flange would also be a very tight fit on the flex, as the mirror box is slightly different also, and the top of the Asahiflex flange has more clearance.
Checci's book does show photos of an Asahiflex with the AP flange (angled sides at the bottom), and since it would take a bit of metal removal to fit this after the fact, perhaps the factory did make some as Checci indicates.
Interesting information. Would removing the front reveal if some modifications were made or if it looks factory made?
09-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Interesting information. Would removing the front reveal if some modifications were made or if it looks factory made?
Possibly, and very easy. Remove the 4 screws and lift it off, watching for any shims or thin washers between the flange and body. (Replace any shims at the same corner, as they align the mount parallel and at the right distance.)
There were no shims on my Asahiflex, but it has been through a curtain replacement, and who knows...
Look for signs of hand-filed edges where the beveled corners are.
09-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Possibly, and very easy. Remove the 4 screws and lift it off, watching for any shims or thin washers between the flange and body. (Replace any shims at the same corner, as they align the mount parallel and at the right distance.)
There were no shims on my Asahiflex, but it has been through a curtain replacement, and who knows...
Look for signs of hand-filed edges where the beveled corners are.
I will give it a go during the weekend. Is it ok to use a regular flat head screwdriver?
09-16-2016, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I will give it a go during the weekend. Is it ok to use a regular flat head screwdriver?
Yes, just make sure the driver fits well. The screws should not take much to loosen or tighten.
09-19-2016, 03:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, just make sure the driver fits well. The screws should not take much to loosen or tighten.
I gave it a go over the weekend, but the lower right screw wouldn't move with my really bad precision screwdriver kit. The other 3 was easy to loosen. I'll buy a new set, and try again later.
09-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #15

The Asahiflex IIa M42 modified version

I have an Asahiflex like yours. Attached are a photo shown the diference between the M37 and the M42 versions. The first photo shows the different diameter of the mount, Bottom is the original Asahiflex IIA, up is the "transitional" model with a mount that is used in Pentax AP. In the next photo both mounts are compared with a Tower 26 (Pentax AP). Left original Asahiflex IIA, center Asahiflex IIA M42, left Tower 26. The mount of the M42 Asahiflex was modified to make room for the new wider mount, as is shown in the third photo. It seems to me that this was made by hand.

Finally the last photo shows the original lens, a 58mm f2.4 with the M37 to M42 adaptor required to mount this lens in the new wider mount. Beside the Asahi.Kogaku is the regular 58mm f2.4 used in the Pentax AP and Tower 26.

I also hadn't found any information of this variant. I think that these models are really made by Asahi and are the last runners of the Asahiflex IIa models, when they found some shortage of pieces due the change of models.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo