Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I have been reading the "Introduce your film SLR" thread over the past few days and it's been nice drooling over the perfectly posed and light-tented classic equipment that you all have. One thing that seems to be missing from that thread, as well as from this forum in general (yes, I've searched), is an abundance of photos that show how you have your collections displayed. Do you keep them locked away in Pelican cases, locked in a safe, stuffed between pairs of socks or other unmentionables in a drawer, or have them proudly on display in a gorgeous leaded glass display case?

I'm personally interested in the latter so I don't need to see any boring old pics of your Pelican cases or underwear drawers. So let's see 'em (the leaded-glass display cases, that is)!
I don't display my cameras, for the mere sake of the fact that I don't have a display case, and I don't want to simply sit them out lest they get dusty.

My cameras spend their non-shooting time in cases, tucked away safely. I value them much more as tools than I do as knick-knacks or household decor.

That said, I do enjoy the gear pr0n, and given the space for a display case I would probably have one, just because I do think some of my cameras are quite pretty. But they are probably happier locked away from dust, light, and possible theivery.

10-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #17

Original Poster
I thought that locking them away in a dark case is what induces the growth of mold and fungus. Keeping them in a glass display case would allow them to breathe and inhibit the growth of fungus while still reasonably protecting them from dust wouldn't it?
10-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I thought that locking them away in a dark case is what induces the growth of mold and fungus.
Humidity and temperature are a big factor in promoting growth of mold and fungi. Exposure to light only has a slight effect as it is often filtered through a lot of glass and this attenuates the UV-component in sunlight which is what inhibits the growth of mold and fungi. Keeping lenses in a humidity controlled*, dark case that provides protection from extreme temperature should be perfectly adequate.

* RH should be around 30~40%, rule of the thumb is to divide the operating RH in half to find the range that is optimal for storage.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-17-2016 at 10:42 PM.
10-18-2016, 06:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Humidity and temperature are a big factor in promoting growth of mold and fungi. Exposure to light only has a slight effect as it is often filtered through a lot of glass and this attenuates the UV-component in sunlight which is what inhibits the growth of mold and fungi. Keeping lenses in a humidity controlled*, dark case that provides protection from extreme temperature should be perfectly adequate.

* RH should be around 30~40%, rule of the thumb is to divide the operating RH in half to find the range that is optimal for storage.
So I should display them in an air-conditioned case under blacklights?

I have never had a problem with lenses or cameras getting moldy or lens fungus. They are stored in climate-controlled conditions.

That said, if I had space and money for a display case, I think I'd have to. But I'd have to weigh that against the convenience of being able to just grab a camera bag and go, vs. grab an empty bag, stab a bunch of gear into it from the case, then go. Then see the empty spots in my display.

This way lies madness

10-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #20

Original Poster
So do you just keep everything in one bag then or do you have kits divided up for specific shooting conditions? If I keep it all in one bag, the bag would literally weigh like 30 pounds with 5 bodies, several flashes, and 8-10 lenses, winders, etc. I figured that one of the beautiful things about these cameras, my M's anyway, is their size and portability and that I'll likely just decide what kind of shooting I'll be doing for the day and grab just one body and maybe two lenses that will fit in a tiny kit bag. In exploring my storage options, I thought that since this is a vintage collection, it might be nice to display them at the very least for my own enjoyment. In an enclosed display case they would probably be exposed to no more dust than they would in a bag.

I guess maybe I need to consider investing in another full size gun safe (RSC, technically) just for camera gear. With $8000 in Eos digital and now a bunch of film gear, storage is now becoming a primary concern. The EOS stuff in the gun safe is fine for now but if I start putting the film stuff in there too, I'll be out of room.
10-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My collection isn't quite as impressive, but I picked up my cabinet cheap enough.

10-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

So do you just keep everything in one bag then or do you have kits divided up for specific shooting conditions? If I keep it all in one bag, the bag would literally weigh like 30 pounds with 5 bodies, several flashes, and 8-10 lenses, winders, etc. I figured that one of the beautiful things about these cameras, my M's anyway, is their size and portability and that I'll likely just decide what kind of shooting I'll be doing for the day and grab just one body and maybe two lenses that will fit in a tiny kit bag. In exploring my storage options, I thought that since this is a vintage collection, it might be nice to display them at the very least for my own enjoyment. In an enclosed display case they would probably be exposed to no more dust than they would in a bag.

I guess maybe I need to consider investing in another full size gun safe (RSC, technically) just for camera gear. With $8000 in Eos digital and now a bunch of film gear, storage is now becoming a primary concern. The EOS stuff in the gun safe is fine for now but if I start putting the film stuff in there too, I'll be out of room.
If I kept everything in one bag, I couldn't even lift it into my car!

My current system cameras include a Pentax setup (K-5, 5 film bodies, 10+ lenses, acessories)

Leica M setup (Two bodies, 3 lenses)

Pentax 6x7 setup (body, 2 finders, 3 lenses)

Bronica S2 setup (Body, two backs, 3 lenses)

Mamiya C330 setup (Body, two lenses)

A Minolta MD setup (body, 4 lenses)

A 4x5 setup (Field camera, 4 lenses, film holders)

an 8x10 setup (camera, lens, film holders)

An Instant set up (4 cameras)

and finally, a Mirrorless setup (Two bodies, and a mess of adapters, plus one native lens for each of the NEX-5N and Olympus E-PL1)

In addition to the camera setups, I also have a bag full of just camera flashes, and I grab out of that bag when I need a flash.

The mirrorless body kind of melds into whatever else I'm taking as far as 35mm goes, but each of these typically lives in its own bag. The Pentax system gets split up between two or more bags, typically.

I do have a bunch of fixed lens cameras and others that live on a pair of shelves in my room, rather than in bags, but that's a matter of them being grab-n-go more than anything. But I do also have several bags that don't have a permanent "assignment" and are free to take reduced versions of any of the above kits if I want to travel lighter.

But yes, I keep them all in bags, in storage under my bed (Which has an elevated frame and no box spring to make it a storage closet unto itself.) Investing in a safe would be a good idea, especially considering the value of a lot of this gear. I'd use my firearms safe, but it's full of firearms already
11-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #23
Site Supporter

The displays shown above look fantastic with their shiny black modern equipment. However, I have been collecting old cameras for several years and have amassed over 100 cameras and many assorted lenses, as well as a number of modern digital Pentax cameras. My oldest cameras are all shapes and sizes and are up to 75 years old, and include 35 mm, twin-lens reflexes, and antique box cameras. Such a varied collection would not look too attractive in a display case, so the equipment is stored in a number of chests of drawers and any other cubby holes that I can lay claim to. Nevertheless, I take delight in periodically searching through the drawers and suddenly finding a favorite camera that I had forgotten about. Also, my collection is not seen by service people who come to my home and might covet my collection as much as I do

12-22-2016, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
I just thought I would give an update on this topic. I was at a local thrift store and found this real hardwood stereo cabinet with glass doors for $10 so I picked it up. It works well for now but I may eventually go for something a little larger so I can see each piece better. Not bad for $10 though.
12-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Good find and nice collection!

Phil.
12-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I don't display my "collection"; I hide it away.
I'm a bit ashamed, as I collect too much junk...

Chris
12-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

In deference to my wife's preference, my gear is stored in a small, 4-drawer bedside chest (excepting the K500/4.5 and K1000/8). I lined the drawers with Craftsman tool chest rubber mesh and sprinkled small dessicant packs throughout.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending) there isn't room for even one more body or lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I don't display my "collection"; I hide it away.
I'm a bit ashamed, as I collect too much junk...

Chris
12-22-2016, 09:40 PM - 2 Likes   #28

Photos: Albums

From the top: Spotmatic promotional display, Asahiflexes, K series, MX, M series, Spotmatic motor and data bodies, 6x7, Auto 110 and LX, early digital plus the Asahiflex 500/5 Takumar that wouldn't fit on the top shelf.
12-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
From the top: Spotmatic promotional display, Asahiflexes, K series, MX, M series, Spotmatic motor and data bodies, 6x7, Auto 110 and LX, early digital plus the Asahiflex 500/5 Takumar that wouldn't fit on the top shelf.
Wow Asahiflex 500!

Could you post some pics of it? Never seen one before.

Great collection.
12-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #30
Pentaxian

The one on the top of the case could be a 6x9 or 6x12