Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The PZ-1P is underrated...

I picked up this amazing camera last week and only a few moments ago discovered the light-up screen function:

What do you love about this camera?

09-25-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I had the Z-1 - the 1P basically only had the panoramic option and a different resistant coating on the body, as far as I remember - it was the only camera I've driven into the ground through overuse - the autowind gave out after many hundreds of films - but it was very rugged and reliable up to that point -and the offsetting of the flash to the side worked very well in preventing red-eye and giving better modelling. I think there was only one more flagship 35mm SLR before the digital age - and yes - I used to love the lilac illumination
09-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What exactly was the "panoramic" option? I used to see it offered on P&S cameras and was of the understanding that it was no more than a fancy name for top-and-bottom crop.

As for "drove into the ground... over hundreds of films..." I guess if you look at the equation of price of camera divided by number of rolls of film shot, you come to a figure of camera price per roll of film. When that gets low enough that this figure added to the cost of each roll is less than a mail-in disposable, the camera has well and truly paid for itself.
09-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
What exactly was the "panoramic" option? I used to see it offered on P&S cameras and was of the understanding that it was no more than a fancy name for top-and-bottom crop.
yeah - it was purely a mechanical masking of the film (and viewfinder) - never really saw the point, but it was a brief craze in the camera world

09-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love this camera bought one new from B&H a decade or 2 ago paid about $750 , unfortunately after years of non use the mirror fell off. Great camera , can be had cheap these days.
09-25-2016, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
As for "drove into the ground... over hundreds of films..." I guess if you look at the equation of price of camera divided by number of rolls of film shot, you come to a figure of camera price per roll of film. When that gets low enough that this figure added to the cost of each roll is less than a mail-in disposable, the camera has well and truly paid for itself
I think the camera cost me in the region of GBP400 - and I certainly shot more than 400 rolls of film on it
09-25-2016, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Access to so many shooting modes (including hyper program and hyper manual) made this thing really unique. Oh, and the odd hotshoe placement, too

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The Pentax Z-1P/PZ-1P instruction manual is 115 pages long.

Chris

09-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I recently bought a PZ-1 from the forum but haven't yet tried it out. I have yet to plough through the manual.

I want to compare it with my SFX which I really like.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Oh, and the odd hotshoe placement, too
I think the SFX/SF1 was the first with the offset hotshoe - needed with the pop-up flash.
09-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

my first Pentax slr.
09-25-2016, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Fantastic camera. I've had mine for a year and I love it. The best shutter/motor sound of any motorised SLR, imo.

09-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Great and very rugged camera... to a certain extent. The popup flash cover broke off mine just from sitting in the camera bag. It looks like the cheap plastic hinges just disintegrated. Luckily it can kind of snap in place, but it falls off often, risking being lost and the capacitors (I think) in the exposed flash can shock you. Eventually I'll just have to glue it in place, it's not like I'll ever have use for the popup flash. The functionality shows its age however. It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't set the camera to aperture or shutter priority and the manual is very confusing on the subject. Seems like it is by default set to some sort of automatic demo user mode which blocks the selection of anything but Hyper Program and Manual exposure. Once I figured out how to get the Aperture Priority working it became my favorite film camera. It may not have the autofocus features or technological wiz-bang that my friend's EOS 3 has, but there's something I can't put my finger on that makes the camera a joy to use.
09-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #13
UMC
Forum Member

Apart from the Super A (Program A) this was my most admired analog camera.
  • OK, the power zoom was not much more than a gimmick, however it was something unique that not even Canon had in the early 90ies.
  • But the really best and greatest feature of this camera was Hyper-Shift-Program, something that is totally common among Pentax DSLRs today, but 20 years back this was THE breaktrough for using P-Mode as a serious photographer.
  • Another small, but important feature was the position of the hotshoe. Now you could use a big flash in indirect mode and still use the built in flash for a small catchlight.
There are more things to mention, like the user modes and the very ergonomic styling.

Anyway, I have used it from 1998 till 2009 and the vast majority of all my family shots (when our children were small) were taken with this camera - so it is probably the most important camera in my private museum.

Last edited by UMC; 09-26-2016 at 02:03 AM.
09-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
however it was something unique that not even Canon had in the early 90ies.
Minolta brought it in at the same time as Pentax - it was a bit of a battery draining gimmick - the most potentially useful aspect of which, on paper, is the ability to pre-set a focal length and go straight to it, but it was no quicker than doing it manually. What amazes me is that the power zoom on the old lenses still works on new bodies - typical Pentax ;D

Last edited by ffking; 09-26-2016 at 03:55 AM.
09-26-2016, 02:07 AM   #15
UMC
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
... the most potentially useful aspect of which, on paper, as the ability to pre-set a focal length and go straight to it,...
Right - and there were 2 more arguments:
  • You could (semi-)automatically create a photo with the then famous "zoom effect" (e.g. a train coming towards you, artificially blurred by quick zooming while taking the picture at a relatively long exposure time).
  • When turning off the camera a power zoom lens automatically enters its shortest mechanical position, so that you can easily stowe it away.
If all these arguments justify the additional mechanical and electrical complexity is a question that history has answered meanwhile...