Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
nicholas411

great macro lens for the k1000

Hi Guys,

i'm keen to get a macro lens for my k1000.....i was wondering what you would suggest. i want to get in close to view the details of plants and flowers. thanks

09-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any of the pentax 50 or 100 mm f2.8-f4 manual focus lenses would be great. These aren't the only ones. What do you plan to use it for?
09-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you are shooting plants and flowers, the Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/2.8 macro is excellent:

Pentax 50mm F/2.8 SMC A Macro K Mount Manual Focus Lens {49} | KEH Camera

However, if you might want to shoot insects and other small critters, best to back off and go with the Pentax SMC-A 100mm f/4. Note with the slower lens, you'll probably want and need to shoot 400 ISO film.

Pentax 100mm F/4 SMC A Macro K Mount Manual Focus Lens {49} | KEH Camera
09-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would look for a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP90/2.5 - great lens for portraits on film as well as a great macro.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-2-sp-90mm-f-2-5-52b.html

09-27-2016, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll second the Pentax 50 or 100 macro lenses, as both are excellent. The 50 is also fine for all around use, and the 100 is also great for portraits. For macro work you need to stop down quite a bit to have any depth of focus, which means lower shutter speeds - so a small or tabletop tripod is handy. For a K1000 the Pentax-A lenses have no advantage over the Pentax-M lenses, which are less expensive. The -M 50 is an f4 lens, but a very good performer. Again, for macro f2.8 has so little depth of focus that you would stop down more than f4 anyway.
09-27-2016, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I'll second the Pentax 50 or 100 macro lenses, as both are excellent. The 50 is also fine for all around use, and the 100 is also great for portraits. For macro work you need to stop down quite a bit to have any depth of focus, which means lower shutter speeds - so a small or tabletop tripod is handy. For a K1000 the Pentax-A lenses have no advantage over the Pentax-M lenses, which are less expensive. The -M 50 is an f4 lens, but a very good performer. Again, for macro f2.8 has so little depth of focus that you would stop down more than f4 anyway.
Agreed, but a few reasons why I'd still go with the Pentax-A f/2.8 over a Pentax-M f/4:

a) More forward compatible.
b) Brighter in viewfinder to aid with manual focusing.
c) Better lens performance one stop sooner; the f/2.8 reaches optimum sharpness starting around f/5.6 vs. the f/4 at f/8. True, with macro depth-of-field you'll want to be more in the f/8-f/11 range, but we're talking differences of very, very shallow vs. very shallow.

The best argument for the Pentax-M is price.
09-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

No one suggested the A* 200/4 macro? Hens teeth and unicorn horns, in case some one is wondering why I am grinning...

09-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The A50/2.8 is a good everyday "walkaround" lens that also does macro.
OTOH the Tamron 90mm macro is also quite useful as a portrait lens.

For macrophotography depth of field is critical.
IMO you should consider getting a body with DOF preview.
If you like your K1000 suggest you look at the Pentax KM.

Chris
09-27-2016, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Agreed, but a few reasons why I'd still go with the Pentax-A f/2.8 over a Pentax-M f/4:

c) Better lens performance one stop sooner; the f/2.8 reaches optimum sharpness starting around f/5.6 vs. the f/4 at f/8. True, with macro depth-of-field you'll want to be more in the f/8-f/11 range, but we're talking differences of very, very shallow vs. very shallow.

The best argument for the Pentax-M is price.
Be curious to see the testing you did that made you reach that conclusion. My own test below shows the results I get with the Pentax 50mm f4 macro is practically at max resolution at f4 and starts loosing detail at f16 using a film body. On my K20D it is at max res at f4 and starts loosing detail at f11.

Full size version 50mm f4 macro

Full size version Fuji Velvia

Since these are used lenses, perhaps the differences in our results may be attributable to the condition of our lenses. Perhaps a better condition lens may even perform better then my own results?

The best argument for the Pentax M 50mm f4 macro is price and the fact that it will outresolve any film or sensor you can put behind it.

BTW, I also tested my Pentax M 100mm f4 and it is equally a great performer as my 50mm.
09-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #10
nicholas411

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Thankyou
09-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Be curious to see the testing you did that made you reach that conclusion. My own test below shows the results I get with the Pentax 50mm f4 macro is practically at max resolution at f4 and starts loosing detail at f16 using a film body. On my K20D it is at max res at f4 and starts loosing detail at f11.

Since these are used lenses, perhaps the differences in our results may be attributable to the condition of our lenses. Perhaps a better condition lens may even perform better then my own results?
Impressive and thorough tests...nice! My conclusions were not based on a technical test but anecdotal from when I shot with a K1000 using Kodachrome 64 and Plus-X many many moons ago. I had the 50mm f/2.8 and at least with my copy, I wasn't happy with the sharpness until f/5.6. My presumption on the 50mm f/4 is obviously not true with your copy and although I've found it rare for lenses in general to have peak performance at either aperture extreme, you have at least one good argument that the f/4 is the exception.

I did play with these macros on a K50 and was not happy with the overall IQ compared to the modern 35mm Limited or 100mm WR macro, so I didn't bother going any further. Thanks for posting actual tests.
09-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
nicholas411

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
No one suggested the A* 200/4 macro? Hens teeth and unicorn horns, in case some one is wondering why I am grinning...
what does that mean ? hens teeth ?

---------- Post added 09-27-16 at 06:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Thanks Chris

---------- Post added 09-27-16 at 06:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

Full size version 50mm f4 macro

Full size version Fuji Velvia

The best argument for the Pentax M 50mm f4 macro is price and the fact that it will outresolve any film or sensor you can put behind it.

BTW, I also tested my Pentax M 100mm f4 and it is equally a great performer as my 50mm.
thanks for the info, is it possible to see that test larger?
09-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Impressive and thorough tests...nice! My conclusions were not based on a technical test but anecdotal from when I shot with a K1000 using Kodachrome 64 and Plus-X many many moons ago. I had the 50mm f/2.8 and at least with my copy, I wasn't happy with the sharpness until f/5.6. My presumption on the 50mm f/4 is obviously not true with your copy and although I've found it rare for lenses in general to have peak performance at either aperture extreme, you have at least one good argument that the f/4 is the exception.

I did play with these macros on a K50 and was not happy with the overall IQ compared to the modern 35mm Limited or 100mm WR macro, so I didn't bother going any further. Thanks for posting actual tests.
One of our geniuses falconry, who frequents the forum on occasion once went through a lengthy explanation as to why the sharpest lenses peak at ƒ4 or faster, not ƒ5.6. So if it peaks at ƒ4, you can bet, it's really sharp.
09-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #14
nicholas411

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
the KM body has a dof preview?
09-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nicholas411 Quote
what does that mean ? hens teeth ?
hen's teeth - Wiktionary