Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

Battery grip or Camera?

I have a Pentax ZX-5n 35mm camera. I use it with the FG battery grip. It has been stored for the last couple years, but I wanted to bring it back out an get it working again, as I wanted to put the two lenses I have for it to use.
When I put 4 AA batteries in the grip and turned it on, nothing happened. I put some new AA batteries in the grip and still nothing. I had a new set of AA Lithium batteries and tried those. This time the camera worked, but I started to feel the bottom right side begining to get warm. I immediately opened the battery compartment to remove the batteries, and could smell a burning smell. I've never encountered anything like that before. The camera is fine I think. I then tried two CR2 3v photo lithium batteries in the bottom of the camera itself, and everything works fine.
As I find the camera by itself too small for my hand, I like to use the battery grip, but now I am afraid that if I hook it back up I may damage the camera.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Do you think the battery grip is faulty? The camera? I used it with the grip and AA's before I stored it away for a couple years, and everything worked fine. Any suggestions?

09-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Never had that happen before, but my FG battery grip had some built up battery corrosion way inside on the other end of the grip. Once I cleaned that out the grip worked perfectly. Maybe a similar issue?
09-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Never had that happen before, but my FG battery grip had some built up battery corrosion way inside on the other end of the grip. Once I cleaned that out the grip worked perfectly. Maybe a similar issue?
If the issue is size, not use of the batteries, can you just use the empty grip?
09-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Aslyfox, can't just use the grip without batteries in it because there is a part of the grip that goes up into the camera to use the AA batteries in the adaptor. I guess I could just cut that part off and use the 2 small batteries in the camera body.
But I think I will just order another battery grip for it. I don't trust this one anymore. But thanks anyway.

09-29-2016, 01:21 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by praxis0344 Quote
Aslyfox, can't just use the grip without batteries in it because there is a part of the grip that goes up into the camera to use the AA batteries in the adaptor. I guess I could just cut that part off and use the 2 small batteries in the camera body.
But I think I will just order another battery grip for it. I don't trust this one anymore. But thanks anyway.
Story obviously I wasn't familiar with that particular grip

Good luck
09-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rust never sleeps

I think you are on the right track, as the battery grip is a totally passive device.
AFAIK there are no active electronic components - only electrical contacts.

Chris
11-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #7

I just experienced the same issue with my MZ-5n. It was not used for more than a year. Today I bought 4 fresh Varta batteries for the grip. Worked fine a couple of shots but then it went blank, the mirror got stuck and the film could not be transported and the camera made some weird sounds. I managed to pull the mirror down (gently) while pushing the shutter button in the focusing position. It means that the mirror is probably not broke as it was working again for more shots, but the camera and mirror got stuck again with the weird sound.

I noticed that the camera began to smell like something is burning. I took of the grip and the inside of the camera was smelling. I took of the batteries from the grip and the inside of the grip was smelling too! I'm not sure but I think that the small LCD screen and the light in the viewfinder are shutting when I'm clicking the shutter button while the mirror is stuck.

I tend to think that my issue is similar to yours and that it's concerning a capacitor or a wire that got detached. When I find some time I will have to open my camera to check it out. :|

11-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #8

I just experienced the same issue with my MZ-5n. It was not used for more than a year. Today I bought 4 fresh Varta batteries for the grip. Worked fine a couple of shots but then it went blank, the mirror got stuck and the film could not be transported and the camera made some weird sounds. I managed to pull the mirror down (gently) while pushing the shutter button in the focusing position. It means that the mirror is probably not broke as it was working again for more shots, but the camera and mirror got stuck again with the weird sound.

I noticed that the camera began to smell like something is burning. I took of the grip and the inside of the camera was smelling. I took of the batteries from the grip and the inside of the grip was smelling too! I'm not sure but I think that the small LCD screen and the light in the viewfinder are shutting when I'm clicking the shutter button while the mirror is stuck.

I tend to think that my issue is similar to yours and that it's concerning a capacitor or a wire that got detached. When I find some time I will have to open my camera to check it out. :|