Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #1

K1000 help

Hello, new to this forum!

I recently got my first Pentax Camera. A K1000 while being new to pentax I am in no way new to SLR cameras or photography. But when I got this camera the mirror would get stuck half way (fixed) the shutter release wouldn't let it go every time you pressed it (fixed) thr shutter was slow (fixed) it had dust and foam in the prism (cleaned out) and had bad light seals (replaced)

I've decided since I have put all this effort into it I'm going to customize it into my own camera but that's a different story.

But there is one thing I cant figure out. I've used multiple flashes and on some the flash would fire when you released the shutter and when you advanced the film. Then some (including all corded flashes) would flash every time it got charged enough and just keep flashing even if you didn't touch the camera. I can't see any issues internally. Any idea what I should be looking for?

---------- Post added 10-01-16 at 11:15 PM ----------

Also forgot to add the flash then stopped working altogether with no settings changed. All flashes function fine on my other cameras

10-02-2016, 01:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old foam can jamb the internal works. (My K1000 would fire before the mirror came up.) Have you removed the bottom plate to check the flash contacts?
10-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WW2JAKE Quote
But there is one thing I cant figure out. I've used multiple flashes and on some the flash would fire when you released the shutter and when you advanced the film. Then some (including all corded flashes) would flash every time it got charged enough and just keep flashing even if you didn't touch the camera. I can't see any issues internally. Any idea what I should be looking for?
Flash sync on your camera is done with a set of contacts on the shutter curtains. One of those is apparently sticking in the closed state.

You can download the K1000 service manual for free from:

Pentax Service Manuals at Pentax-Manuals.com

A detailed description of how the sync works and how to troubleshoot the contacts is found in the second section of the K1000 service manual.

Good luck.

Steve