Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #1

Iraqi film adventure for a Solider

Need some help from you guys with some film selection for my little trip to Iraq coming up. I will be carrying my trusty newly CLA’d Pentax Spotmatic F with the 50m F1.8, and a Canon AE-1 with 50m F1.4 kit lens. I will be in Iraq for 9 months and I want to carry 9 rolls of film with me. Also guys I will be leaving very soon so shipping must be here before I head out. What do you guys have in mind for the trip and where do I buy the film from I was thinking about going with B&H Photo as I have bought from them before?

P.S
I am willing to try out Lomo Chrome’s Purple 400 film.

Last edited by zionfarm; 10-09-2016 at 05:30 PM.
10-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've tried Lomo 100 with very good rersults but not Lomo Chrome Purple. I would recommend Portra 160, 400 and even 800. Also some Fuji Provia or even Velvia would be great to have on hand. Good luck, have fun and post some when you get a chance.
10-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I've tried Lomo 100 with very good rersults but not Lomo Chrome Purple. I would recommend Portra 160, 400 and even 800. Also some Fuji Provia or even Velvia would be great to have on hand. Good luck, have fun and post some when you get a chance.

Thank you kind Sir I will look into these films.
10-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

9 rolls for 9 months!? That seems a bit light on?

Anther vote for Portra 400. Keep in mind that it's fine to shoot it 1 or 2 stops over box speed (so 200iso or 100iso), so it's quite versatile if that's the only film you have.

If you're taking two bodies I'd stick a nice black and white in the other. I like Tmax in both 400 and 100. Neopan Acros100 is great if you're shooting in very bright light - it handles highlights very well.

Out of interest why are you taking both the Canon and Spotmatic? Two SLRs with fast fifties seems like unnecessary redundancy? My experience with travel is keep it as simple as possible and you'll enjoy your time more.

10-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
9 rolls for 9 months!? That seems a bit light on?

Anther vote for Portra 400. Keep in mind that it's fine to shoot it 1 or 2 stops over box speed (so 200iso or 100iso), so it's quite versatile if that's the only film you have.

If you're taking two bodies I'd stick a nice black and white in the other. I like Tmax in both 400 and 100. Neopan Acros100 is great if you're shooting in very bright light - it handles highlights very well.

Out of interest why are you taking both the Canon and Spotmatic? Two SLRs with fast fifties seems like unnecessary redundancy? My experience with travel is keep it as simple as possible and you'll enjoy your time more.
The reason is I was going to take a picture per day. But you're right I might take more rolls with me.

The Spotmatic is my favorite and also my first SLR camera so I am a little attached to it. Just tonight as I was checking out my Spotmatic the meter seem to not work when I adjusted any kind of setting. The canon i know works and it can help me out with its more reliable meter.

More votes for the Portra 400 thank you.
10-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Advice

Take 40 rolls of film and make sure you keep it cool during the blazing heat there.
You may want to consider a couple lead lined bags for the flights there and back also.
10-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
what about black and white film?

10-10-2016, 04:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
what about black and white film?
Because the situation in Iraq isn't all black and white.
10-10-2016, 04:38 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by zionfarm Quote
Need some help from you guys with some film selection for my little trip to Iraq coming up. I will be carrying my trusty newly CLA’d Pentax Spotmatic F with the 50m F1.8, and a Canon AE-1 with 50m F1.4 kit lens. I will be in Iraq for 9 months and I want to carry 9 rolls of film with me. Also guys I will be leaving very soon so shipping must be here before I head out. What do you guys have in mind for the trip and where do I buy the film from I was thinking about going with B&H Photo as I have bought from them before?

P.S
I am willing to try out Lomo Chrome’s Purple 400 film.
Bring film but don't forget a basic digital point-and-shoot. I had by Pentax Optio point-and-shoot with me during my Iraq tour in 2009. You can take video with it as well.

Stay safe.

obin
10-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zionfarm Quote
where do I buy the film from I was thinking about going with B&H Photo as I have bought from them before?

1. B&H is great. Very rarely beaten on price and highly reliable. I've bought a ton of stuff from them over the years (shipping to Aus) and have never had a hiccup.

2. Might be worth checking if they will post film to Iraq. If you're there for 9 months this might make like easier (not having to go through airports with 40 rolls...). I have no idea what you're doing there, so this might not be an option...
10-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
1. B&H is great. Very rarely beaten on price and highly reliable. I've bought a ton of stuff from them over the years (shipping to Aus) and have never had a hiccup.

2. Might be worth checking if they will post film to Iraq. If you're there for 9 months this might make like easier (not having to go through airports with 40 rolls...). I have no idea what you're doing there, so this might not be an option...

You're right I have priced around and they're good with pricing & shipping.

I don't have an address yet until I get there. I am in the U.S Army.

10-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Freestyle is also good for film if you are in the US:

Home | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Phil,
10-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Take a mix of films.

I highly recommend Lomo 100. Some say it's the old Kodak Gold 100. Wonderfully fun colors and rendering without being over saturated.

Portra 400 gives good tones. Ektar 100 is too cartoony for me.

Don't forget Agfa Precisa 100. It's not Kodachrome but still very nice nostalgic rendering while being sharp and smooth grained. Another highly recommended and underrated film.

If you want to do B&W try Kodak B&W400 if you can find it. The film can be processed with C-41 chemicals. I think Illford has their own version.

Avoid Fuji Superia and cheap Kodak 200 and Kodak 400. Junk.

These films ought to be available on Amazon so delivery shouldn't be a problem, I assume.

Good luck on your deployment! We'll be keeping you in our prayers!
10-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If you want to do B&W try Kodak B&W400 if you can find it. The film can be processed with C-41 chemicals. I think Illford has their own version.
Ilford XP2 Super
10-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the design criteria for Kodak Tri-X has always been superior tolerance to
extreme environmental conditions, both unexposed and in latent image retention.

Tri-X was the overwhelming favorite of news photographers and photojournalists
working in Vietnam. Though today's Tri-X has been reformulated I am confident it
will perform well in the adverse conditions you will encounter during your service.

Chris