Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 01:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

KX mirror locked up

Hi there,

I am not wanting the mirror lock up trick as my camera has this feature built in, but the mirror random locks up does not release, this happen in all shutter speed, is that easy to fix ?

10-13-2016, 03:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a failing shutter/mirror mechanism to me. Probably not much to be done apart from hoping that it stays intermittent.

In case it's the software glitching out, try to clean the lens mount contacts, and blow out any dust that might be lingering in the mirror box.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2016, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

I am not wanting the mirror lock up trick as my camera has this feature built in, but the mirror random locks up does not release, this happen in all shutter speed, is that easy to fix ?
If you have a KX film camera then I would think it's the mirror bumper foam that needs replacing and this is causing the mirror to stick.

Send it off to Eric for a CLA.

Phil.
10-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
If you have a KX film camera then I would think it's the mirror bumper foam that needs replacing and this is causing the mirror to stick.

Send it off to Eric for a CLA.

Phil.
Right that's the possibility, old camera used to have sticky foam !

10-14-2016, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just found out the cause of the problem and fixed that, it wasn't the sticky foam but a mechanical fault, since I'm not a mechanic I try to use layman terms to explain the process.

Remove the bottom plate you will see as shown on the photos, there is a tiny piece of 'spring catch' thing gone out of position to prevent the mirror to release, simply bend it slightly to the right to clear it's way.

1. Standby position shutter and mirror released.

2. Winded up ready to shoot.

3. Spring Catch does not return after release.

4. Bend the spring catch slightly to the right to fix that.

I don't know exactly what caused that, but the shutter worked normally after the 'fix' so I will leave it that way, I can't expect this 'ancient' camera works like new anyway !
10-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax Manuals

We should have sent you this, wear or grease turned to wax frequent problem.
10-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Pentax Manuals

We should have sent you this, wear or grease turned to wax frequent problem.
Thanks !

10-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know exactly what caused that, but the shutter worked normally after the 'fix' so I will leave it that way, I can't expect this 'ancient' camera works like new anyway !
Yours is new lots use ones from 55-65, promise offspring it as momento.

Probably the only things you would need are a larger ice cream box to catch errant screws, can of zippo, cotton waste tweasers and q tips. The cotton waste to absorb wax liquified by zippo, Tweasers to carry drip of zippo to bush/bearing.

Small YY will empty ice cream bin.

Don't clean mirror.

Replace foam before it degernates to dust or sticky.
10-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Complex mechanical devices require periodic maintenance. Your Pentax KX
camera body is long overdue for cleaning, lubrication and adjustment, or CLA.

Once service is performed by an experienced knowledgeable repairer
your old camera should be completely reliable for many years to come.

Without CLA your KX will most likely jam up again; the only question is when.
There's no better way to ruin a day's photography than a disabled camera.

Chris
10-19-2016, 04:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I always carry three bodies and lenses though my CanonPs or K1000, SP, SV, and S1a never failed in service yet. I have need to make film extractor in street.
10-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Yours is new lots use ones from 55-65, promise offspring it as momento.

Probably the only things you would need are a larger ice cream box to catch errant screws, can of zippo, cotton waste tweasers and q tips. The cotton waste to absorb wax liquified by zippo, Tweasers to carry drip of zippo to bush/bearing.

Small YY will empty ice cream bin.

Don't clean mirror.

Replace foam before it degernates to dust or sticky.
Yeah right will try