Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in love! + EXTRA PICS!

My oh my, I never knew it could hit that hard, but it's true. The second I picked it up I knew I was in love.

Here's my brand new baby:

I my new ME!

Bought it from Michael, a fellow forumer. (thanks again!), and just 11 frames, I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will be in my backpack at all times, competing with as much usage time as the K100D.

Everything feels so well put together, so smooth, so accurate. And you can tell it has been designed by people with much love and passion for photography.

Pentax needs to bring back this feeling of completion and unity between camera and photographer. For this feeling alone is worth all the cameras in the world.

Rave done, time for bed.

So how much do you like the ME?

Last edited by ftpaddict; 07-30-2008 at 11:20 AM.
07-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First off, that is a damn sexy photo of the ME...

and yes, there is something so coherent about those cameras, it makes the photographer feel more coherent as well

congratulations
07-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
First off, that is a damn sexy photo of the ME...

and yes, there is something so coherent about those cameras, it makes the photographer feel more coherent as well

congratulations
It was taken in a hurry with minimal editing. K100D + Tokina AF 70-210 f/4.5. Black and white conversion is all that went on.

I should have stopped down but didn't have my tripod with me at the time. Just a reading lamp on.

BEST THING IS I CAN USE IT ON THE ME!

Backwards compatibility w00t!

Thanks.
07-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha ha!
There's a little nostalgia in every Pentaxian!
Though you can tell these 1970s bodies were built for a lifetime of taking photos in all conditions.
The mechanics of these cams are just sheer works of art!

Congrats!

07-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Ha ha!
There's a little nostalgia in every Pentaxian!
Though you can tell these 1970s bodies were built for a lifetime of taking photos in all conditions.
The mechanics of these cams are just sheer works of art!

Congrats!

It'd better work a lifetime; that's why I bought it in the first place! To take pictures with it. I'm not a collector. Cameras have real value flapping their mirrors on the field.

Thank you.
07-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ME is so solid and straightforward. And oh, that finder!

Chris
07-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The ME is so solid and straightforward. And oh, that finder!

Chris
The viewfinder is superlative. I can say nothing against it! Except for the fact that it's not in my K100D!

07-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I got a film camera it would be a Pentax ME Super. Seems the right combination of features and usability.
07-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd better not spend too much time around here, otherwise I might wind up picking up another film body...I've got a A50/1.7 and a A100/4 macro that would just fine on one of these babies.

If I were going to get another film body, my first choice would be a MX, but I'd be open to either a ME Super or KX. I've got other priorities ahead of this right now, but never say never.

Dan, you are absolutely right about the manual bodies. There's just something special about them that the newer bodies are lacking. If Pentax decided to stick digital innards into a body as solid and simple as one of these, I'd be all over it.

Have fun with your new toy.

Heather
07-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
ms7

Good Morning Dan,

here is another picture of your "Object of Desire". You haven't seen an MX yet. Or the famous LX. I bet you will buy at least one more analogue camera before the year is over.

Makes me feel like a drug dealer when I write about it.

Have fun with it and let us see some of your shots.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A510  Photo 

Last edited by ms7; 07-28-2008 at 10:25 PM.
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that is a real camera!! Sounds like she's The One.

I shot a quick roll of BW yesterday through the ME and M50/2 I have up in the Marketplace - just to be sure everything is still all good. I actually had never shot film through an ME, even though this body has been in a box on my shelf for years.

What a feeling!! First, I had sort of forgotten how GOOD a split-image focusing screen is - and how bright the ME / MESuper viewfinders are.

Second, auto exposure is truly a blast, even for more complex lighting on shots like this one - probably a little soft due to operator error. I had to bracket the shot to get this one. Shot at f/16 in full sun at 4:10 pm.

There were perhaps 100 teenagers getting on this train in my town - I believe the man and woman through the window were the parents of two girls who had just said goodbye.

I haven't spent enough time with my film cameras lately. I'd take the ME down but I still have an MESuper - it'll do!
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey congrats on your new girlfriend...I look forward to seeing some images from that beauty..

Whats the difference between the ME and the ME SUPER?
anyone?
07-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hey congrats on your new girlfriend...I look forward to seeing some images from that beauty..

Whats the difference between the ME and the ME SUPER?
anyone?
Thanks; I have two now.

The difference between the ME and the Super is Metered Manual on the latter.
07-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
If I got a film camera it would be a Pentax ME Super. Seems the right combination of features and usability.
The ME works for me very well. I hardly use manual because I am so accustomed to Pentax' metering. For everything else there is bulb mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
If I were going to get another film body, my first choice would be a MX, but I'd be open to either a ME Super or KX. I've got other priorities ahead of this right now, but never say never.

Dan, you are absolutely right about the manual bodies. There's just something special about them that the newer bodies are lacking. If Pentax decided to stick digital innards into a body as solid and simple as one of these, I'd be all over it.

Have fun with your new toy.

Heather
The MX is nice, but I really wanted Av on my camera. Cracking body nonetheless. I'll be having plenty of fun alright; it's sitting right behind me at work right now. Thank you, Heather.

QuoteOriginally posted by ms7 Quote
Good Morning Dan,

here is another picture of your "Object of Desire". You haven't seen an MX yet. Or the famous LX. I bet you will buy at least one more analogue camera before the year is over.

Makes me feel like a drug dealer when I write about it.

Have fun with it and let us see some of your shots.
I should have gotten the pancake as well! I know the MX, but I like the ME more. The LX is almost a legend, but a bit out of my league for now.
Oh yes, if my flesh-and-blood girlfriend allows, I'll be adding a Program Plus or Super Program by the end of the year.

Pictures when I'm done burning through the rest of the film.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wow, that is a real camera!! Sounds like she's The One.

[...]

What a feeling!! First, I had sort of forgotten how GOOD a split-image focusing screen is - and how bright the ME / MESuper viewfinders are.

Second, auto exposure is truly a blast, even for more complex lighting on shots like this one [...]

There were perhaps 100 teenagers getting on this train in my town - I believe the man and woman through the window were the parents of two girls who had just said goodbye.
It really is a good feeling, and the viewfinder is well and truly stellar.
I'm still trying out the AE and checking for light leaks. This'll be a fun roll to shoot.
07-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #15
Banned

I knew you would fall in love. The very same way I did with my MX. my superA is wonderful and also solidly built and feels and works great but my MX is just something else. It has become the camera I grab when going out. I can only imagine you will also be using your ME quite allot.