Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
I found my MX Data on eBay in January 2015. It cost me U$74.

However when I received it I discovered that it was the Data MX back on a standard MX. It was missing the two contacts you can see in the photos above and in your online album.

So you seem to have a genuine MX Data camera. Congratulations.

Regards

Chris

---------- Post added 11-09-2016 at 01:02 PM ----------

I've attached some photos of my Data cameras and photos of the two versions of the data recording plates.

K2 DMD with Data MD back and Motor Drive MD

MX (standard) with Data MX

LX with Data LX

Front of Data Recording Plates

Rear of Data Recording Plates

And to round it all off a KX with Zeiss Dataphot

Hope these help.

Regards

Chris
Thanks Chris, those are awesome collectiton there. Thanks for pointing out about the contacts. Now I understand what Dimitrov was saying about MX's 'body modification'. I see your LX has both the watch and data recording (memo) plate. That should be very hard to find nowadays.

11-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aseno Quote
Thanks, Chris. Can you share where you acquired yours? Were you searching for one, or like me, just happened to found one? Trying to get a sense of how rare this is.

I found the MX body is really interesting, size and functionality wise, but the data back has no functional value to me, just a scarcity/antique value. Maybe someone sees more sentimental value for this kind of body.

Hey,

If you want to sell it, let me know.

Cheers, baard-einar

---------- Post added 11-19-2016 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
The MX Data body will have two little contacts at the back of the bottom plate that connect to pins on the data back. Without the pins the data back will not work. The LX has these as standard as does the MG and some of the Super Program series. Oh, and of course the K2DMD, although I have never seen one with the data back.

---------- Post added 11-07-2016 at 12:31 PM ----------

MX data bodies showing the connection pins

The older Data II on SP II and ESII bodies used a cable connection to the X synch socket, so no modifications to the body were needed. The backs on these bodies can only be removed by unscrewing the hinges, so it isn't a quick procedure to change them but you can adapt it to any body with the same size back.

Another SP II with a more complicated Zeiss data back

Wow, really cool collection. Data backs is not an item one needs these days, and it was really for special needs. On the MX it is tiny and the large data back seems to make handling difficult.

Es II with data back is also hard to find. Think you could get it for Spotmatic as well?

Cheers, baard-einar
11-19-2016, 11:42 PM   #18

There is a list here - Screwmount Bodies which shows a Spotmatic Data model as well as an SPF Data. Since the back is a straight swap, albeit with the hinge screwed in place, there is no real difference between the regular (or motor drive) versions of the various cameras and the databack versions other than the presence of the databack.
11-20-2016, 06:10 PM - 3 Likes   #19

Original Poster
Per your request, I spent a roll testing the functionality, and here are some samples. I was expecting that the ASA info would be captured, since it has an ASA dial, then I realized it's just a dial for the databack to determine how much exposure it should give.

You can write something with a pencil on the center of the clock, if needed. I forgot to do that when I put the film in.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Not so good for portrait:
[IMG][/IMG]

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
Can you share with us a picture taken with the data turned on?

11-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Per your request, I spent a roll testing the functionality, and here are some samples. I was expecting that the ASA info would be captured, since it has an ASA dial, then I realized it's just a dial for the databack to determine how much exposure it should give.

You can write something with a pencil on the center of the clock, if needed. I forgot to do that when I put the film in.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Not so good for portrait:
[/URL][/IMG]
Cool and it's Y2K ready too boot!!!

Phil.
11-28-2016, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found this NOS Pentax Digital Data M in my local camera store for a whopping $19.50CDN. ($14.25USD)

You can use it on the ME, MV, MV1, ME Super with the supplied synchro cord or on the MG, ME-F, Super A, Super Program, Program A & Program Plus without the cord.

This data back was released in 1985 and has a year range of 1980 to 2019. It uses two SR44LR44 button batteries.

Phil.
Attached Images

11-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have that back on my SuperPROGRAM. I suppose I'll have to find a regular back in three years.

11-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I found this NOS Pentax Digital Data M in my local camera store for a whopping $19.50CDN. ($14.25USD)

You can use it on the ME, MV, MV1, ME Super with the supplied synchro cord or on the MG, ME-F, Super A, Super Program, Program A & Program Plus without the cord.

This data back was released in 1985 and has a year range of 1980 to 2019. It uses two SR44LR44 button batteries.

Phil.
Sweet data back

---------- Post added 11-28-2016 at 09:55 PM ----------

Thinking of selling it. I have too many gears, and playing with antics would not help my GAS. Will I regret this?

Last edited by aseno; 11-28-2016 at 10:56 PM.
11-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suppose I'll have to find a regular back in three years.
Or go back in time! You can still use the HOUR/MIN/SEC mode.

Sweet data back
Thanks, looking forward to trying it out on my Super Program.

Phil.
12-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I have a box full of LX data backs and bits I have been meaning to sell. Is the memo insert the same for the MX and LX versions?
12-09-2016, 04:59 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe it is the same for the MX,LX and K2 DMD Data Backs. At least mine are all interchangeable.

Regards

Chris