Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Found: MX with Data back

While in the midst of acute GAS for film bodies, I recently acquired this MX body. It has the data back that I was not aware off. From Bojidar Dimitrov's MX page, it says there is a third variant of the MX body [MX(data)]. From the page, the availability is "once in a lifetime, used". Have I just acquired one? Or is this a regular MX, with an additional data back added? Not knowing much about MX's, particularly MX(data) I researched online, but have not found much about it.

Can anyone share your knowledge about this MX? Below are pics of it:

Full album

Sorry for the bad pictures, took them right away after the mail guy delivered.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 04:26 PM ----------

Maybe it's just me, but the links to the pics may have broken. I will try to fix the post.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 04:34 PM ----------

Fixed. Let me know if pics do not show up on your end.

Last edited by aseno; 11-05-2016 at 04:58 PM.
11-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pickup!

I have the manual for the KX databack and it looks and works the same.

There was a Data MX (Chrome only) body that came prepackaged with the MX databack, the combo list for $663.00 in Jan, 1978. (Double the cost of the regular MX)

There was also a Data Back MD ($447.50) for the K2DMD, which just included the back cover/data back. You simply removed the standard K2DMD back cover and replaced in with the databack one.

You will get an image of a clock in the top left of each picture showing the time (minutes/seconds) and date, you have to inscribe the year/month in the middle of the clock..You could replace the clock with the data recording plate where you could put a memo on each shot, like the location.

Phil.
11-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you share with us a picture taken with the data turned on?
11-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Phil. So, it is possible that the one that I have is from the prepackaged Data MX, correct? Am I off base to say that this data MX is the third variant mentioned by Dimitrov? Wow, this Pentax history is getting more interesting...

Anyways, I am still verifying the condition. From the viewfinder, either the prism or the mirror is dirty. The seal below the prism/above the mirror looks brittle.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice pickup!

There was a Data MX (Chrome only) body that came prepackaged with the MX databack, the combo list for $663.00 in Jan, 1978. (Double the cost of the regular MX)

Phil.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 08:47 PM ----------

Absolutely, as soon as I can find the battery for the databack.

A side note, that clock for the databack looks cool. I am tempted to take it off and use it as a pocket watch

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
Can you share with us a picture taken with the data turned on?

11-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
New findings: Actually there are 2 more variations that Dimitrov has not mentioned, MX Medical and MX Medical with Zeiss Dataphot back . See here
11-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aseno Quote
Thanks Phil. So, it is possible that the one that I have is from the prepackaged Data MX, correct? Am I off base to say that this data MX is the third variant mentioned by Dimitrov? Wow, this Pentax history is getting more interesting...

Anyways, I am still verifying the condition. From the viewfinder, either the prism or the mirror is dirty. The seal below the prism/above the mirror looks brittle.
Yep I would assume so, as I can't find the MX DataBack sold on its own. The MX looks like it also had a modification to the body for the Databack, which the other bodies did not need.

Yes you have a very rare Pentax item!

The KX Data is not even mentioned on either Pentax site and I have only ever seen the manual which I bought.

Here is a copy of the manual:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_data_k_kx.pdf

I would send it off to Eric, he should get it working again.

Phil.
11-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Umm... collector's item.

11-06-2016, 02:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While in the midst of acute GAS for film bodies, I recently acquired this MX body. It has the data back that I was not aware off. From Bojidar Dimitrov's MX page, it says there is a third variant of the MX body [MX(data)]. From the page, the availability is "once in a lifetime, used". Have I just acquired one? Or is this a regular MX, with an additional data back added? Not knowing much about MX's, particularly MX(data) I researched online, but have not found much about it.

Can anyone share your knowledge about this MX? Below are pics of it:

Full album

Sorry for the bad pictures, took them right away after the mail guy delivered.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 04:26 PM ----------

Maybe it's just me, but the links to the pics may have broken. I will try to fix the post.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 04:34 PM ----------

Fixed. Let me know if pics do not show up on your end.
It looks good to be a genuine MX Data camera.

I also bought one of them a couple of years ago.

Regards

Chris
11-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Chris. I initially just wanted an MX body, never knew that I could get something unusual. Funny thing is, it does not help the GAS. Wonder if I can find the black one...

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote

Regards

Chris

---------- Post added 11-06-2016 at 08:04 AM ----------

Thanks Phil. Ricoh Canada still has the manual online, if you can stand reading old docs scanned by a fax machine

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep I would assume so, as I can't find the MX DataBack sold on its own. The MX looks like it also had a modification to the body for the Databack, which the other bodies did not need.

Yes you have a very rare Pentax item!

The KX Data is not even mentioned on either Pentax site and I have only ever seen the manual which I bought.

Here is a copy of the manual:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_data_k_kx.pdf

I would send it off to Eric, he should get it working again.

Phil.
11-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #10

The MX Data body will have two little contacts at the back of the bottom plate that connect to pins on the data back. Without the pins the data back will not work. The LX has these as standard as does the MG and some of the Super Program series. Oh, and of course the K2DMD, although I have never seen one with the data back.

---------- Post added 11-07-2016 at 12:31 PM ----------

MX data bodies showing the connection pins

The older Data II on SP II and ESII bodies used a cable connection to the X synch socket, so no modifications to the body were needed. The backs on these bodies can only be removed by unscrewing the hinges, so it isn't a quick procedure to change them but you can adapt it to any body with the same size back.

Another SP II with a more complicated Zeiss data back

Last edited by Paul Ewins; 11-06-2016 at 05:53 PM.
11-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Paul. That SP II with the Zeiss back surely won't pass any airport security, at least here in the US . Regarding MX in general, there is another battery compartment other than the main one , near the winder lock release button. What is that for?

thx,

Andy
11-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #12

That's the cover for the motor drive coupler.
11-07-2016, 12:16 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks, Chris. Can you share where you acquired yours? Were you searching for one, or like me, just happened to found one? Trying to get a sense of how rare this is.

I found the MX body is really interesting, size and functionality wise, but the data back has no functional value to me, just a scarcity/antique value. Maybe someone sees more sentimental value for this kind of body.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote

Regards

Chris
11-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks, Chris. Can you share where you acquired yours? Were you searching for one, or like me, just happened to found one? Trying to get a sense of how rare this is.

I found the MX body is really interesting, size and functionality wise, but the data back has no functional value to me, just a scarcity/antique value. Maybe someone sees more sentimental value for this kind of body.
Another question Chris, if you don't mind: The databack comes with 2 data recording plates, one for the time/watch and one for memo. If you look at the manual, page 9, it says:
"This plate is exactly the same size as the watch, making them freely interchangeable with each other. When you wish to record data other than the time, simply replace the watch with the Data Recordign Plate (on which you have written desired data). One Data Recording Plate is supplied with the camera."

Man, this can be an interesting hunt for that plate....
11-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found my MX Data on eBay in January 2015. It cost me U$74.

However when I received it I discovered that it was the Data MX back on a standard MX. It was missing the two contacts you can see in the photos above and in your online album.

So you seem to have a genuine MX Data camera. Congratulations.

Regards

Chris

---------- Post added 11-09-2016 at 01:02 PM ----------

Another question Chris, if you don't mind: The databack comes with 2 data recording plates, one for the time/watch and one for memo. If you look at the manual, page 9, it says:
"This plate is exactly the same size as the watch, making them freely interchangeable with each other. When you wish to record data other than the time, simply replace the watch with the Data Recordign Plate (on which you have written desired data). One Data Recording Plate is supplied with the camera."

Man, this can be an interesting hunt for that plate....
I've attached some photos of my Data cameras and photos of the two versions of the data recording plates.

K2 DMD with Data MD back and Motor Drive MD

MX (standard) with Data MX

LX with Data LX

Front of Data Recording Plates

Rear of Data Recording Plates

And to round it all off a KX with Zeiss Dataphot

Hope these help.

Regards

Chris

Last edited by seventhdr; 11-08-2016 at 05:11 PM.