Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

Are light leaks worth repairing?

Hi,

I have some photos from a camera I recently bought and some of them had light leaks.

Is it worth repairing? Can I repairs these by myself or is it better to get a professional to repair them?

Last edited by danlam; 01-07-2017 at 03:56 AM.
11-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danlam Quote
Hi,

I have some photos from a camera I recently bought and some of them had light leaks.

Is it worth repairing? Can I repairs these by myself or is it better to get a professional to repair them?
It would really help if you told us what camera you have.
11-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
It would really help if you told us what camera you have.
Hi Arnold,

It is a Pentax Asahi SP1000
11-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #4

DIY replacements kits should be available and with a few exceptions are easy enough to replace. The kits are not very expensive and some include tools to help remove the old seals and comprehensive how-to guides.

Jon Goodman makes and sells probably the best kits available. You can find his contact information in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/297420-ps...-seal-kit.html

11-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
DIY replacements kits should be available and with a few exceptions are easy enough to replace. The kits are not very expensive and some include tools to help remove the old seals and comprehensive how-to guides.

Jon Goodman makes and sells probably the best kits available. You can find his contact information in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/297420-ps...-seal-kit.html
Cool thanks!
11-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Light seals & mirror bumpers are easy to change, it just need patience and meticulousness. I did my Praktica with wool and self adhesive felt but for my Spotmatic I bought a kit from Jon Goodman (it was way less expensive and no brainer).
11-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danlam Quote
Hi Arnold,

It is a Pentax Asahi SP1000
I have done many cameras this way. The light seals are easy to replace if you can find some foam or velvet sheet (adhesive backed if possible) about 2mm thick. You cut it into strips that will fit into the door grooves on the body. First you have to clean out the old grooves with a toothpick or bamboo skewer. Tape some paper over the insides of the camera so debris doesn't fall into the works, and hold the camera accordingly. Leave a small gap on the top right where the counter reset button sits in the groove. If you use adhesive back, wet it before sliding it into place so it doesn't grip and twist. The mirror bumper should also be done, and if you need details on that, let me know.
11-21-2016, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Jon Goodman's kits:

JGood21967@aol.com

Yes, there are other ways to do it, but Jon charges $10 including shipping and includes easy to follow instructions specific to your camera. His materials are top notch.

Steve

11-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Jon Goodman's kits:

JGood21967@aol.com

Yes, there are other ways to do it, but Jon charges $10 including shipping and includes easy to follow instructions specific to your camera. His materials are top notch.

Steve

And $11.50 international :-)