Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2016, 03:44 PM - 3 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I know I have some images that look great on screen, but maybe wouldn't make good prints.

Yes, definitely this. I've never been able to get a good print of one of my favourite Kodachromes. It looks intense on the lightbox and projects well too, but even Cibachrome couldn't produce a print that I liked. There's so much detail in the foreground that you can only see by looking at the actual slide.

12-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
The Eiffel tower shot is ace.

Fascinating to see what folks put forward as their "best" photos -- in most cases, y'all post far better ones elsewhere, in my opinion.

Full disclosure: the concept of "best" sets my teeth on edge.

By way of analogy, there's a video game I spend way too much time playing: Dead Island Riptide, we're talking thousands of hours . I even made a sort of ode to this game (without mentioning it by name) about a year ago, here.

Dead Island a bit long in the tooth (like my pc), but then I use a camera that's older than me, and I'm no spring chicken.

The object of this game is to survive, complete various tasks and oh by the way, kill lots of zombies. To assist in this latter, paramount goal, one gathers, upgrades and enhances various weapons. The weapons are rated in deadliness, force, and durability by a color scale: white the least, then green, blue, purple -- and here's where the analogy comes in: the "best" weapons are yellow (or "gold").

Only they're not always the "best". For example, I have a green, envenomed axe that is a more dependable killer than yellow brass knuckles. The knuckles are good for maybe a half-dozen kills before they need repairs, the axe can take a licking and keep on ticking. Also you can kill two zombies with one swing of the axe, or at least stagger them. Then you can jump on their heads -- most satisfying. I reckon I'll sell the knuckles.

So you may be better off posting your "green" photographs. Just sayin'
That's a really weird analogy. The criteria for posting is up to anyone who wants to post in the thread based on nothing more than their own feelings about a photo, one they felt "deserves" or has already deserved printing (or projecting, certainly, or otherwise displayed) for whatever reason. And, I hope folks share that reason and some thoughts, the details of how it was printed or displayed, at what size and on what type of media etc.. I think it could provide a lot of insight. Fewer and fewer shots are printed these days, so it's interesting, to me at least, to see what is deemed "good enough to print" as it were. There's plenty of similar feedback and exploration otherwise of "green" shots in the COOL thread. If you don't want to post anything here, that's fine.

---------- Post added 12-04-16 at 05:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Yes, definitely this. I've never been able to get a good print of one of my favourite Kodachromes. It looks intense on the lightbox and projects well too, but even Cibachrome couldn't produce a print that I liked. There's so much detail in the foreground that you can only see by looking at the actual slide.
Absolutely! Dang near every shot I've made on Fuji Sensia slide film looks like garbage to my eye on-screen. But projected or printed they transform completely.

---------- Post added 12-04-16 at 05:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Perhaps they are like Owen's coin collection in Throw Momma from the Train.
Hahaha! There's a reference. Exactly that. I dunno... what is "print worthy" to someone means, to me at least, a photo taken that they'd like to share in some larger way outside of the screen, or simply enjoy well enough to place somewhere that they themselves can view it whenever they wish. For whatever reason that may be... from that perfect light scene they came across months ago, to a baseball game with Dad many years ago. Doesn't matter. A good photo has meaning to at least one person.

Last edited by chickentender; 12-04-2016 at 06:24 PM.
12-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That's a really weird analogy.
Uh yeah, it's meant as a joke.

The whole idea of what's 'good', or even 'best' in photography is something that a lot of people struggle with particularly in this era when a kind of technical perfection is in easy reach for all, and we are culturally swamped by a tsunami of photographic output. I personally see interesting photographic qualities in virtually everything posted in the film and medium format (where most of it is digital, and very good it is too) threads. So when people want to post something that they are publicly claiming is 'best,' I also see a reaching for safer work that will fit received criteria of subject and composition that I find relatively uninteresting, simply because we've seen it before, and it expresses less of the photographer's personality. So that's why the concept of 'best' sets my teeth on edge. I equate it with mediocrity and sameness.
12-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Uh yeah, it's meant as a joke.

The whole idea of what's 'good', or even 'best' in photography is something that a lot of people struggle with particularly in this era when a kind of technical perfection is in easy reach for all, and we are culturally swamped by a tsunami of photographic output. I personally see interesting photographic qualities in virtually everything posted in the film and medium format (where most of it is digital, and very good it is too) threads. So when people want to post something that they are publicly claiming is 'best,' I also see a reaching for safer work that will fit received criteria of subject and composition that I find relatively uninteresting, simply because we've seen it before, and it expresses less of the photographer's personality. So that's why the concept of 'best' sets my teeth on edge. I equate it with mediocrity and sameness.
A long-winded joke eh. I agree with some of your sentiments here, but ... bit of a buzz-kill to the thread.

12-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Slides sure can be frustrating in that way. Nonetheless, that color is INTENSE. Very awesome scene.
12-04-2016, 10:14 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been printing this one to greeting card stock. It looks really nice on fine art paper and I may yet print it large for hanging.

North Head Light near the mouth of the Columbia River. Olympus XA using Kodak Gold 200 film. Scanned on Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED.

Steve
12-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
"Half-assed"
That's hilariously bizarre. Is that 35mm as usual? It looks cropped to more of a 6x7 aspect. Did you print this?

---------- Post added 12-04-16 at 09:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been printing this one to greeting card stock. It looks really nice on fine art paper and I may yet print it large for hanging.

North Head Light near the mouth of the Columbia River. Olympus XA using Kodak Gold 200 film. Scanned on Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED.

Steve
All sorts of nice tones. Always interesting how the paper stock affects a photo as well. Also I had no idea how many XA shooters here there were.
12-05-2016, 03:45 AM   #38
Pentaxian

"A long-winded joke eh."

Had you.

"bit of a buzz-kill to the thread. "

Apparently not.

"Is that 35mm as usual? It looks cropped to more of a 6x7 aspect. Did you print this?"

I crop many of my 35mm shots. In this case it was a twofer: light leak and improved the framing. I stopped printing stuff a few years ago. I got too many boxes of prints lying around to justify carrying on with it. In many ways I consider the internet the perfect medium for viewing and publishing photographs, though I certainly enjoy viewing prints at exhibitions.

12-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Further to this (the rationale for making prints), there is an interesting short essay up on disphotic:

QuoteQuote:
[...] the question of what photography has become (is becoming, will be) still seems so unclear. Not just unclear, but uncomfortable, a question which might have answers waiting in the wings, but answers which many are unwilling to call upon for fear that these understudies might upstage those they replace. Survey the fields of creative photography, from art to documentary, and you will observe many unwilling even to consider the proposition that photography has become something profoundly different, alien, to what it has been for the previous one and half centuries. Turning away from itís new physical immateriality, technical subjectivities, itís now truly infinite reproducibility, itís increasingly networked and automated state, many people prefer to continue to invest themselves in an idea of the medium which feels as anachronistic as the telegraph. Analogue film, luscious prints and beautiful books of photographs are on the rise again, a trend often explained as being the result of a renewed interest in research and process, but which I often suspect in fact belies a deep conservatism, a regression less than a revolution. These things were photography once, but they are manifestly not photography now.

This problem of an unwillingness to engage with, let alone embrace, photographyís changes might seem to be a purely an academic, theoretical one, but this question of what photography has become is bound up in the far larger question of what photography is for. That, at least in the fields with which I am concerned, is the purpose of illuminating, explaining, or provoking the critical issues or our day. Ours is a world full of known unknowns, and unknowable knowns, where so many of the things that urgently need to be brought into the light are constructed (by accident or intent) to elude what we would traditionally think of as the sight of the camera and the explanatory power of a photograph. Make no mistake, photographs can change the world, but their capacity to do so is unpredictable, limited by their ability to reveal or suggest, and this ability for change always has as much potential to be regressive as it does positive.
12-05-2016, 03:40 PM - 3 Likes   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Eeek! Somebody killed my BUZZ!!!

No big deal, here is another one that I have been printing to card stock, though people I've given them to tell me they intend to frame.

KMZ Zorki 4K, KMZ Jupiter-8 50/2 (LTM), Legacy Pro 100

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-05-2016 at 06:46 PM.
12-05-2016, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Eeek! Somebody killed my BUZZ!!!

No big deal, here is another one that I have been printing to card stock, though people I've given them too tell me they intend to frame.

KMZ Zorki 4K, KMZ Jupiter-8 50/2 (LTM), Legacy Pro 100

Steve
Make sure you follow up with them, visit their homes and verify. People *say* the darndest things.
Sweet shot.

---------- Post added 12-05-16 at 04:48 PM ----------

I did this one to card-stock a while back. Was never wild about it on-screen, but printed it was entirely different. I think I mentioned: Sensia seems to be this way for me often.

remember these nights
by Kevin Rosinbum (Eyewanders Foto), on Flickr
Pentax MZ-3 | FA 31/1.8 | Fujichrome Sensia 400
12-05-2016, 07:03 PM - 6 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

I made a print of this (8x8 IIRC) on Moab Entrada Natural Rag, a few years ago as a gift for my wife's grandfather. I'll be making another print of it tomorrow for a gift for a friend.

Hasselblad 500c/m
Carl Zeiss Planar C T* 80/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
12-05-2016, 11:30 PM - 3 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

A print of this slide was a runner-up in a camera store contest. Kodachrome and Yashica Lynx c1976
12-06-2016, 12:00 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote

A print of this slide was a runner-up in a camera store contest. Kodachrome and Yashica Lynx c1976
Priceless!
12-07-2016, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm rediscovering film photography and am still learning. Having much more fun with photography in general using film than with digital. I've only had an 8 x 10 made of this one. The print looks better than the scan on screen, amazingly enough. Taken with a Pentax MX (which I bought on the forum marketplace) on Ilford HP5+ pushed to 800.

Harnessing the Earthworm by Benjamin Chan - Photo 182346921 / 500px