12-03-2016, 07:56 AM - 5 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

"Half-assed"

12-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'll play. Out and about with a photo-friend. Christmas day, Los Angeles, 1984. Canon EF w/35-105. Tri-X. Unimproved scan. The framed version is sitting on the shelf in the bathroom :-)
That's a beaut, Colton. I think I've seen this one but can't remember where it was taken.

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
These are the two that I've got hanging as 12"x18" prints next to my desk at home, because they both bring back wonderful personal memories. Both shot with an Olympus XA and Konica VX400 negative film, which used to give a warm, saturated colour rendering that I loved.

Times Square

Sorrento
I've been shooting an XA off-and-on lately. Such a great tiny machine. I used to steal my mom's back in the day and finally tracked down my own early this year. I think I've a couple rolls of VX400 frozen. I should toss one in. I wish I had Italy nearby as well! Great shots. I was in Sorrento about a decade ago and regrettably didn't get to enjoy as I was very very very sick at that portion of the trip.
12-03-2016, 06:28 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These B+W shots came out very well when I had them printed. They were originally shot using ACROS100, then I digitized them using my K5+Voigt 90/3.5 with close-up lens. Post-processing and Printing was done by a professional using a high-end commercial ink-jet printer (can't remember the brand), but the 8 x 12" prints were excellent.

12-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
These B+W shots came out very well when I had them printed. They were originally shot using ACROS100, then I digitized them using my K5+Voigt 90/3.5 with close-up lens. Post-processing and Printing was done by a professional using a high-end commercial ink-jet printer (can't remember the brand), but the 8 x 12" prints were excellent.
Oh yes - I can imagine those looking remarkable on print.

12-03-2016, 08:46 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That's a beaut, Colton. I think I've seen this one but can't remember where it was taken.
That was taken from Mesa Verde National Park, looking east at the San Juan mountains.

---------- Post added 12-03-2016 at 07:57 PM ----------

I have a 12"x18" print of this framed and hanging in my entryway.

Pentax MZ-L
SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm
Agfa APX 100
Minolta Scan Dual IV
12-03-2016, 09:10 PM - 5 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
That was taken from Mesa Verde National Park, looking east at the San Juan mountains.

---------- Post added 12-03-2016 at 07:57 PM ----------

I have a 12"x18" print of this framed and hanging in my entryway.

Pentax MZ-L
SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm
Agfa APX 100
Minolta Scan Dual IV
That's fantastic. Hadn't seen that before. That would definitely look nice printed large.

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 08:11 PM ----------

I forgot about this one, oddly, and am surprised I didn't post it at the beginning. It printed 24x20 and hung at The Film Shooters Collective NSEW Exhibition in St. Louis this past summer and in fact it sold there as well, to my delight. It was shot at Cape Horn on the Washington State side of Columbia River, looking S.E.across to Oregon. Shot with the 67 and 90/2.8 on RVP50.

12-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

[/COLOR]I forgot about this one, oddly, and am surprised I didn't post it at the beginning. It printed 24x20 and hung at The Film Shooters Collective NSEW Exhibition in St. Louis this past summer and in fact it sold there as well, to my delight. It was shot at Cape Horn on the Washington State side of Columbia River, looking S.E.across to Oregon. Shot with the 67 and 90/2.8 on RVP50.
That must have looked epic at that size! Gorgeous work.

12-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
That must have looked epic at that size! Gorgeous work.
Sadly - I never saw it in person. Ellen sent me a video which was awesome of her to do. I was sort of looking forward to getting it and had "reserved" a space on our wall (still empty actually). But happy to have it sell - and to Cameron's dad no less.
12-03-2016, 09:21 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

That's fantastic. Hadn't seen that before. That would definitely look nice printed large.
Thanks
This is from the same roll and is also printed 12"x18" and hanging right next to the previous image.

Pentax MZ-L
SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm
Agfa APX 100
Minolta Scan Dual IV
12-03-2016, 10:56 PM - 5 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just recently got these developed. Shot a couple of years ago with a 645 and Velvia.

12-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice ones! Gotta love that 67...
12-04-2016, 06:22 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Another Tri-X shot, I'm sure. I think somewhere on the way to, or near, Apple Valley, CA (early 80's). Unevenness due to scanning a self-printed 8x10.

Technically not great, but it's the H-1 Hercules, aka Spruce Goose. It was once housed in the big dome next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach. I knew the security guy, and his dad joined us there one evening. Went in it, sat in "the seat", stood on the wing. 15mm FE.

Eiffel tower, using my grandma's Kodak (Brownie?). Looks like I have the same level-horizon issue today. The print, which has been discarded, was a bit better - this is a rough proof scan. 1973-ish.

Somewhat blah perhaps, but it's the open area of the Arizona memorial, which is more moving in person. Canon EF, K64(?).
The Eiffel tower shot is ace.

Fascinating to see what folks put forward as their "best" photos -- in most cases, y'all post far better ones elsewhere, in my opinion.

Full disclosure: the concept of "best" sets my teeth on edge.

By way of analogy, there's a video game I spend way too much time playing: Dead Island Riptide, we're talking thousands of hours . I even made a sort of ode to this game (without mentioning it by name) about a year ago, here.

Dead Island a bit long in the tooth (like my pc), but then I use a camera that's older than me, and I'm no spring chicken.

The object of this game is to survive, complete various tasks and oh by the way, kill lots of zombies. To assist in this latter, paramount goal, one gathers, upgrades and enhances various weapons. The weapons are rated in deadliness, force, and durability by a color scale: white the least, then green, blue, purple -- and here's where the analogy comes in: the "best" weapons are yellow (or "gold").

Only they're not always the "best". For example, I have a green, envenomed axe that is a more dependable killer than yellow brass knuckles. The knuckles are good for maybe a half-dozen kills before they need repairs, the axe can take a licking and keep on ticking. Also you can kill two zombies with one swing of the axe, or at least stagger them. Then you can jump on their heads -- most satisfying. I reckon I'll sell the knuckles.

So you may be better off posting your "green" photographs. Just sayin'

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 12-04-2016 at 08:03 AM. Reason: afterthoughts
12-04-2016, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
The Eiffel tower shot is ace.

Fascinating to see what folks put forward as their "best" photos -- in most cases, y'all post far better ones elsewhere, in my opinion.
Yes, "best" is vague and subjective. Three of the four I posted have some particular meaning to me - (not particularly the Apple Valley shot, which is only "graphic").

Perhaps they are like Owen's coin collection in Throw Momma from the Train.
12-04-2016, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess part of the criteria I used were contest recognition and/or sales... I sell hardly any of my pictures, but my DC Monuments shot financed another lens for my P67 and some more film! Otherwise, they pleased me enough to put them on display at home.
12-04-2016, 12:04 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote

Full disclosure: the concept of "best" sets my teeth on edge.

'
I don't think the intent of Kevin's OP was for "best" photos, but print worthy photos.
Of course, this is subjective and up to the poster.
I know I have some images that look great on screen, but maybe wouldn't make good prints.
A large framed print can really change the feel of a photo.