Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a very clever setup, really; they left you able to use all the speeds you could reasonably hand hold the camera at with a normal lens on it. Bit like the venerable Pentax K, really - all the speeds you can use WITHOUT a tripod are on the top dial...

12-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Gee Phil, I don't know, with the current weather the right pair of socks might let me stay out another hour playing with my new toys. . . .
Too true... Though in CTrout's case, I'd rather be barefoot in the snow with a new-to-me LX than in some cold wet socks.

---------- Post added 12-20-16 at 06:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's a very clever setup, really; they left you able to use all the speeds you could reasonably hand hold the camera at with a normal lens on it. Bit like the venerable Pentax K, really - all the speeds you can use WITHOUT a tripod are on the top dial...
Pretty clever indeed! Never completely without by a long shot.

Say, does anyone know if the LX in bulb mode requires battery for operation? I'm assuming that it does, but sure would be nifty if it did not.
12-20-2016, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Say, does anyone know if the LX in bulb mode requires battery for operation? I'm assuming that it does, but sure would be nifty if it did not.
Bulb mode does not require batteries.
Also, the shutter button lock can be used to lock the shutter open in bulb mode or prevent the shutter from being accidentally fired.
12-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Bulb mode does not require batteries.
Thanks Les! That's excellent to know. In that case, with a bit of creativity, you could use the camera sans power in nearly any situation, provided you have a stop watch or excellent sense of time.

12-20-2016, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Gee Phil, I don't know, with the current weather the right pair of socks might let me stay out another hour playing with my new toys. . . .
Too true... Though in CTrout's case, I'd rather be barefoot in the snow with a new-to-me LX than in some cold wet socks.
Sounds like you gentlemen need some new boots for your photo shoots! I'm covered in that department pretty well, with warm ones, waterproof ones and just plain ugly warm/waterproof gum boots.

Problem I'm having is with a good pair of camera gloves, the ones I have are pretty useless when it gets near freezing.

Paul you will need a good pair of both when you are wrestling with the "Black Dragon" in the field, has it arrived yet?

Phil.
12-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #81
Pentaxian

I tested my LX out in the cold when we had a freeze. Temperature wasn't a problem at all and using it with thick gloves on was uneventful.

12-20-2016, 09:04 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I tested my LX out in the cold when we had a freeze. Temperature wasn't a problem at all and using it with thick gloves on was uneventful.
Was this in Santa Cruz? The city must have completely shut down!

12-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Was this in Santa Cruz? The city must have completely shut down!
No but just as bad as it was in Atlanta!
12-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though I sold the LX I did keep two Pentax manual focus bodies with electronic shutters.

The first is the ME-F, which I keep as a curiosity. Perhaps I will find the focus confirmation useful one day.

The second is the often underestimated P3N, aka NEd.
This model is cheap as chips, so can be treated almost as a disposable.
I do so love its AE lock, a useful feature sadly lacking on the LX.

Chris
12-21-2016, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Sounds like you gentlemen need some new boots for your photo shoots! I'm covered in that department pretty well, with warm ones, waterproof ones and just plain ugly warm/waterproof gum boots.

Problem I'm having is with a good pair of camera gloves, the ones I have are pretty useless when it gets near freezing.

Paul you will need a good pair of both when you are wrestling with the "Black Dragon" in the field, has it arrived yet?

Phil.
Hi Phil: Yes, the Saturn V has landed. Here's a post about how mrs monochrome received the news.

I looked into the support you used in your review of the Black Dragon and I'm assembling surplus gear to raise funds for proper tripod and head. For the time being my interest is limited to photographing my 10-day-old Grandbaby twins with the 28-105, and A35-105 on LX .

AFA socks and boots go I'm well covered, but I always appreciate the new socks my son gives me every year.
12-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I do so love its AE lock, a useful feature sadly lacking on the LX.
That may have been sold as "P30T " in Australia.
Do you refer to the "Exposure -memory -lock" button Item 10 on page 4 of the manual, and on page 30 ?

I had one and it failed through warranty repeatedly so i rarely got to use it.
When warranty expired it failed again and I immediately donated the horrible thing as un-repairable back to the local agent.
The other no-go with the P30T was that it only could use DX film.
12-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
That may have been sold as "P30T " in Australia.
Do you refer to the "Exposure -memory -lock" button Item 10 on page 4 of the manual, and on page 30 ?

I had one and it failed through warranty repeatedly so i rarely got to use it.
When warranty expired it failed again and I immediately donated the horrible thing as un-repairable back to the local agent.
The other no-go with the P30T was that it only could use DX film.

Yes, I remember reading of your woes. I've had a couple of P3Ns and a P30T but experienced no failures. I guess I've been lucky.

BTW these cameras are not fancy but Eric Hendrickson tells me they are good quality.
Though assembled elsewhere he says all the parts were made in Japan.

The DX only problem is no problem for me. I almost always shoot at box speed, and with these bodies I limit myself to films in DX-coded cartridges.

Chris
12-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The DX only problem is no problem for me.
It persisted too. Here is the 1990 P30T manual along with a roll of Fuji Superia 200 that went to Japan and back to Michigan.
https://app.box.com/s/4s1q4s8fcwad76fgodrr5vvwxg0xawgg

Edit The Australian P30T had "A" mode for the -A lenses and

-could also used with -M lenses per page 24 of the manual.
That required rotating the shutter speed dial to quiet the meter leds.

Last edited by wombat2go; 12-21-2016 at 08:50 PM.
12-22-2016, 04:59 AM   #89
Pentaxian

I was playing around with my P30T the other day - it has aperture priority with ALL lenses (I checked that out on a non-A Vivitar 28/2.8). Putting an A series lens on the A setting forced the camera into program mode, which was a shame, because I think the opportunity was there to put it in shutter priority unless both dials were set to A and to give a blink warning if the set speed was out of the lens's aperture range. (On the Super Program, the camera defaults to Tv mode if the selector dial is in manual and the lens is set to A.)

I suspect if the film era had gone on much longer, we might have seen that feature added.

I wonder if it's possible to buy DX-coded refillable cartridges. I certainly know it's possible to mimic the DX code with conductive tape.
12-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I was playing around with my P30T the other day - it has aperture priority with ALL lenses (I checked that out on a non-A Vivitar 28/2.8). Putting an A series lens on the A setting forced the camera into program mode, which was a shame, because I think the opportunity was there to put it in shutter priority unless both dials were set to A and to give a blink warning if the set speed was out of the lens's aperture range. (On the Super Program, the camera defaults to Tv mode if the selector dial is in manual and the lens is set to A.)

I suspect if the film era had gone on much longer, we might have seen that feature added.

I wonder if it's possible to buy DX-coded refillable cartridges. I certainly know it's possible to mimic the DX code with conductive tape.
There are DX-coded refillable cartridges, that came up in a thread a few weeks ago.

When you say it has aperture priority with all lenses, does that include aperture ring-less lenses?