Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

OMG! The LX is NOT a camera for the average Joe! Costs more than a BMW to own!

So I just picked up a mint LX on eBay, coming from Japan, should be here by Friday. I paid $300 + shipping for a total of $332. You can see pics of it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/217364-gear-...u-got-317.html. I hear that Eric charges somewhere around $200 for a CLA so if it needs it (I'll probably get it done whether it appears to need it or not), My total cost will be around $550 for an LX that appears and functions as new. Now, here in the forums I have seen threads begrudging how terribly unaffordable these cameras are. Yeah, I paid $60 for an MX in near mint condition that after a CLA will have cost me about $160 and will probably last longer than I will. I have probably $7000 in two eos bodies and two L lenses so what's $550 for an amazing piece of engineering like the LX? I don't get why people think that $500+ for the best 35mm manual focus camera ever built is sooo much money. I mean, we are living in the age of $6000 digital bodies and $2000 lenses and people whine about a $500 camera? Am I missing something here?

12-06-2016, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 shutter is rated to 300,000 actuations. How much money would 300,000 analog prints cost?

Just sayin'. I have a CLA'ed late model LX myself.
12-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
So I just picked up a mint LX on eBay, coming from Japan, should be here by Friday. I paid $300 + shipping for a total of $332. You can see pics of it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/217364-gear-...u-got-317.html. I hear that Eric charges somewhere around $200 for a CLA so if it needs it (I'll probably get it done whether it appears to need it or not), My total cost will be around $550 for an LX that appears and functions as new. Now, here in the forums I have seen threads begrudging how terribly unaffordable these cameras are. Yeah, I paid $60 for an MX in near mint condition that after a CLA will have cost me about $160 and will probably last longer than I will. I have probably $7000 in two eos bodies and two L lenses so what's $550 for an amazing piece of engineering like the LX? I don't get why people think that $500+ for the best 35mm manual focus camera ever built is sooo much money. I mean, we are living in the age of $6000 digital bodies and $2000 lenses and people whine about a $500 camera? Am I missing something here?
Short answer: no, you clearly are not missing something, at least *here*. In other circles it may well be suggested that you are.

That said, in most cases I am of the "if it ain't broke, don't go fixin' it" camp.... But for the LX for whom parts are more and more scarce, that may not be advisable. Yours is clearly a late model, but it won't be TOO far behind the older ones at this point.

I love my LX. It has some circuit board issues (it's an older one) that I work around and has been CLAd by Eric as well. It ain't cheap, but it's in my top-3 cameras in sheer joy of use. In 35mm terms, there are none I like shooting/handling more.

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 10:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K-1 shutter is rated to 300,000 actuations. How much money would 300,000 analog prints cost?

More analogous to "300,000 analog negs and/or slides", and you also have to factor in storage media.... but yeah, pretty much.
12-07-2016, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I have a LX serviced by Eric. Delightful camera. A true Pentaxian will not complain about the cost

12-07-2016, 06:52 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
A true Pentaxian will not complain about the cost
I will always complain. About everything. Last camera body I bought was an SP for Can.$35 about a year ago. I did not get it CLA'd. It mostly works. Fabulous camera.
12-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I will always complain. About everything. Last camera body I bought was an SP for Can.$35 about a year ago. I did not get it CLA'd. It mostly works. Fabulous camera.
My SP came as lens cap for an earlier auto Tukamar 40£ for both : yes battery compartment needed qtip otherwise apart from corrosion here and there works ok.
12-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The LX costs are not bad, considering what Leica and Contax bodies and lenses cost, and a service by a good tech is also much more than for an LX.
I bought my LX new, back when it was a new model, and put it aside after the usual aging problems, while my Leicas just kept on working. Then a few years back had Eric service it, so it works like new. It has great features, but compared to my favorite Leicas it isn't as nice to use.
I bought a Leicaflex SL in 1969, which is still the standard for a precise SLR. (They also have aging problems with prisms desilvering and CdS cells failing. They now sell for a lot less than the LX, but in 1969 was about $660 new.)
12-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every SP I own has a battery cap that seems welded on...probably still have mercury batteries inside...

My Spot F on the other hand seems to be in pretty good shape...

12-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The LX costs are not bad, considering what Leica and Contax bodies and lenses cost, and a service by a good tech is also much more than for an LX.
I bought my LX new, back when it was a new model, and put it aside after the usual aging problems, while my Leicas just kept on working. Then a few years back had Eric service it, so it works like new. It has great features, but compared to my favorite Leicas it isn't as nice to use.
I bought a Leicaflex SL in 1969, which is still the standard for a precise SLR. (They also have aging problems with prisms desilvering and CdS cells failing. They now sell for a lot less than the LX, but in 1969 was about $660 new.)
The Leica world is more than a bit ridiculous in my opinion. This was posted over at the Film Shooters Collective, written by Dante who's a regular on the RF forums. A bit scathing but certainly has some truth to it.

That Leica CLA culture - Dante Stella
12-07-2016, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I know it's heresy but I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel on LXs. I've bought two, both of which have issues which are essentially un-repairable. One still shoots (mostly) but they're super fragile. My K1000 seems indestructible and basically shoot circles around them. I'll probably put them up for sale here to someone that will love them more than me. Looking at them and thinking of the money spent (and opportunity cost) just makes me angry.

Re: Leicas, one thing I'll say in their favor is resale. Nothing holds its value like a Leica M (except maybe their lenses).
12-07-2016, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
The Leica world is more than a bit ridiculous in my opinion. This was posted over at the Film Shooters Collective, written by Dante who's a regular on the RF forums. A bit scathing but certainly has some truth to it.

That Leica CLA culture - Dante Stella
Some truth indeed. Many times a CLA is wasted money and may be done poorly, so a better term is "full service." I once posted a snapshot Eric had sent me of my H1a completely torn down on his bench. A full service on a Leica is similar, and should only be done when needed. Leica and especially Contax (RF models) have very tight running clearances, and are affected more by dried or thickened lubricants. If that happens you find the shutter speeds off, and cheap techs may try to adjust by adding spring tension, which may help the speeds but add stress on the mechanisms. You can tell these by the clunkier sound of the shutter, and if you want it to last a long time, avoid them.
Back in the 1960s people would make similar comparisons to car engines: the US V8 would keep going with haphazard maintenance, while many European cars needed more frequent proper service. Which approach is better? Depends on your criteria and priorities.
12-07-2016, 06:47 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
I know it's heresy but I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel on LXs. I've bought two, both of which have issues which are essentially un-repairable. One still shoots (mostly) but they're super fragile. My K1000 seems indestructible and basically shoot circles around them. I'll probably put them up for sale here to someone that will love them more than me. Looking at them and thinking of the money spent (and opportunity cost) just makes me angry.

Re: Leicas, one thing I'll say in their favor is resale. Nothing holds its value like a Leica M (except maybe their lenses).
Was just talking this very thing over with some folks on another forum. It is heresy in some "circles", but those are silly circles. I've nearly waded into that Leica ownership pool many many many a time, always backed out. If I were to go in at all at this point it would be into Contax-Land.

I've borrowed a handful of a Leicas RFs over the years and for all these reasons, I've continued to enjoy them as I do my niece and nephew: absolutely GREAT to hang out with and spoil for the day, but I give them back to their parent directly afterwards - they take care of them.

So I guess a Leica to me is much like a boat; I like having friends with boats.
12-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Don't know about prints, but this Man Has 1,580 Kodachrome Rolls (50,000 slides) Developed as Processing Ends
12-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I would say about 85 000USD$ for 300 000 prints of analog and 27 000USD$ for 300 000 prints of digitals (Wallmart 4x6). So yeah, the price of a BMW lollll
12-08-2016, 02:38 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A mechanical Leica will likely be repairable far further into the future than a Pentax LX.
Pentax no longer manufactures parts for the LX and Eric will likely retire in a few years.
Leica supplies spare parts much longer than most camera manufacturers,
and there is enough money in servicing Leicas to sustain numerous repairers.
Further Leicas retain their value rather well, and so are more of an investment.

In my experience electronics don't age well. When spare parts are no longer available
your sophisticated electronic camera may turn into an expensive paperweight.
With this in mind a few years ago I sold my Pentax LX, along with my
Konica Hexar AF, Bronica RF645 and Contax T cameras.

Chris