Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 01:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Salud!
any instant coffee will do the trick, I used store brands (as long as it is 100% coffee)
Arm&Hammer is sodium carbonate, in the Netherlands is DrieHoek Soda, in Germany is also sold in any supermarket as soda. There should be some in Romania (it seems to be a large exporter). DO NOT confuse it with Caustic Soda thouhg (NaOH)
Another alternative brand is pH+ in pool-supplies section of hardsware stores which is mostly carbonate.
In the worst case get some bicarbonate in the pharmacy/supermarket, put it in a pan/pyrex in an overn at ~150 C for a couple of hours and you should have converted the bicarbonate into carbonate.

PLEASE read the followng website, Donald is a great guy and he did a lot of work in 2004-2005, testing, refining and documenting.
http://silent1.home.netcom.com/Photography/Dilutions%20and%20Times.html

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Just spotted a bit of a problem:

No Arm&Hammer or Folger's Coffee Crystals available here!

Can anyone suggest any alternatives?

Last edited by titrisol; 08-06-2008 at 02:11 AM.
08-16-2008, 12:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here is a link to a few of my first Caffenol C developed shots.

So far I am happy with the results. I solved the "foam" problem, with Titrisol's sugestion to mix the washing soda first, and let it settle. Then the Ascorbic acid, then the Coffee. I also changed the agitation pattern from an inversion, to a twist type. I used a Patterson tank that allows the spool to be turned in the tank. I used a +360, -360 deg turn every 30 sec.

Overall I am very happy with the results.

I posted the photos in a new thread, so here is the link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/34755-urban-landscape.html#post318292

Eric.