Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #1

Differences in the Spotmatic family

So lately I've been interested in Spotmatics, and might buy one eventually. I'd like to know the differences between all the Spotmatic models.

I do know a little about each. I know the SP 500 and SP 1000 lack self-timers, and that the SP 500 has an unmarked shutter speed above 500 that may or may not be 1000. I also know that the SP-F can use full-frame metering with the S-M-C and SMC Takumars.

But what I don't know is what the differences between the SP and SPII are, and if there are any additional differences between the SPII and SP-F, and I don't know what makes the Electro-Spotmatics so special.

Can anyone please help me?

08-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spotmatic Features Evolution

Here is a table that list the features of each Spotmatic body, and the evolution of their capabilities and features over time. Enjoy!

Die Cast Pro - Spotmatic Family Traits
08-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here is a table that list the features of each Spotmatic body, and the evolution of their capabilities and features over time. Enjoy!

Die Cast Pro - Spotmatic Family Traits
You beat me to it monochrome! I just copied the link to this page and came back to reply...
08-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Die Cast Pro

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
You beat me to it monochrome! I just copied the link to this page and came back to reply...
At one time, in a different stage of my addiction, that was my favorite website.

Gradually I am becoming more dependent on taking pictures and less on having (really neat old) cameras.

08-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Early and Late Spotmatics???

Hey, thanks for the link....

The Die Cast Pro site indicates there was an early and late Spotmatic.

It looks like the only difference in the specs on these two cameras is the "camera back film roller" which I assume is that sprung pressure plate attached to the back door. Does any one know what other differences there might be? Anyone know of a serial number matrix anywhere?

I just got my hands on a truly pristine Spotty which I'm now guessing is a "late model," equipped with the pressure plate. Just trying to find out more about this particular model.

Regards,

germar
08-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
I don't know what makes the Electro-Spotmatics so special.
That site will answer most of your questions.

The Electro-Spotmatic is really just an early ES, but a rare variant where it spells out Electro-Spotmatic rather than just ES on the body. The Electro Spotmatic is one of the more "uncommon" Pentaxs, and technically it was the forerunner (some say production prototype) of the Spotmatic ES. It was produced in small numbers.

The very early ES's, (and this includes the Electro-Spotmatics) were prone to circuit board failures. Consequently, It is hard to find and Electro-Spotmatic that works in Auto mode. This was fixed relatively quickly and most of the ES's have the revised design and still work.

Look at the page here:

Die Cast Pro - Asahi Pentax Electro-Spotmatic Index

Compare:

Die Cast Pro - Honeywell Pentax ES Index

woof!
08-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks folks for those links. I have been looking for a spotmatic on eekbay, but the more I look the more confusing it gets...

08-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote

It looks like the only difference in the specs on these two cameras is the "camera back film roller" which I assume is that sprung pressure plate attached to the back door.
Actually on the SP II which I have, there is a small metal roller before the film pressure plate. I believe that is the difference you were referring to. Other than the SP II, I don't know which other Spotties have that roller.

CW
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Another page with spotmatic info
Screwmount
08-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys! It would seem that there are fewer differences than I thought...

By the way, when I said "Electro-Spotmatic" I meant the entire ES series, and it would seem to be aperture priority, which is very cool. Do many of those cameras still work?
08-04-2008, 05:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Actually on the SP II which I have, there is a small metal roller before the film pressure plate. I believe that is the difference you were referring to. Other than the SP II, I don't know which other Spotties have that roller.

CW
Ahh, okay I just took a look at my Spot and it does not have the roller the SPII has, so I guess it's an "early" version. Wow, so that gives it a birthday somewhere around 1964-65. Just got back a roll of Fuji 100 and it looks spectacular, I'm so pleased. These spots are just timeless!

Thanks for the leads and the links, everyone!

germar
08-04-2008, 05:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Ahh, okay I just took a look at my Spot and it does not have the roller the SPII has, so I guess it's an "early" version. Wow, so that gives it a birthday somewhere around 1964-65. Just got back a roll of Fuji 100 and it looks spectacular, I'm so pleased. These spots are just timeless!
If you have the original Spotmatic, then it's good to know that there are two versions. The first version has a much smaller metering switch than the later version, which is almost twice as big. Also, the first version has a screw at the side of the top plate, near the strap lug, the later version has a screw partly below the film wind lever.

By the way, I own the world's largest Spotmatic II. I should post a pic of it; it is a plastic shop window model from the 70's. Maybe it's also safe to say that I own the world's largest Pentax
08-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for the help guys! It would seem that there are fewer differences than I thought...

By the way, when I said "Electro-Spotmatic" I meant the entire ES series, and it would seem to be aperture priority, which is very cool. Do many of those cameras still work?
Mine does.
08-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Yes. Most were built with the revised electronics, so many of them still work on "Auto". If it is an ES, chances are better than even that it is a later revision and that it works.

woof!
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
If you have the original Spotmatic, then it's good to know that there are two versions. The first version has a much smaller metering switch than the later version, which is almost twice as big. Also, the first version has a screw at the side of the top plate, near the strap lug, the later version has a screw partly below the film wind lever.
Ahh, I've been waiting for a real Spotmaniac to surface on the thread! Asahiflex, thanks for your additional information, I now think my camera is a later version of the original Spotmatic, as I have the screw partially blocked by the film lever ring. I have nothing to compare the meter switch to, but I can't imagine it getting much bigger than it is on this sample. This is more consistent with the condition of the camera, which is pretty much as new. Otherwise, I was figuring I had a museum piece if it was 1964 vintage and in such great shape.

thanks,

germar