Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote

You don't need to tell them to push/pull the film unless you deliberately shot at that equivalent iso and had the same setting for the entire roll. For example, you'd use iso 400 film and set the camera to iso 800, then tell the lab to push 1 stop. Doesn't work for individual pictures. Many labs offer some sort of scanning, usually for free or a couple $, so you could compare your results with theirs in terms of final exposure, color etc.

I've recently purchased a dedicated film scanner and prefer the results it gives me. The lab I do business with is charging 10$ per roll for scans, dust removal cost extra and the TIFFs they give you are compressed and way too sharpened and noisy.

01-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
I've recently purchased a dedicated film scanner and prefer the results it gives me. The lab I do business with is charging 10$ per roll for scans, dust removal cost extra and the TIFFs they give you are compressed and way too sharpened and noisy.
For those of us with years of negs and slides, and those of us who have no plans on stop shooting film, a film scanner is a wise investment. I wish Nikon or Sony or Epson would make a multiformat film scanner at an affordable price. But it will probably come from left field like Lomography or Kodak or Fujifilm, and why not!
01-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
For those of us with years of negs and slides, and those of us who have no plans on stop shooting film, a film scanner is a wise investment. I wish Nikon or Sony or Epson would make a multiformat film scanner at an affordable price. But it will probably come from left field like Lomography or Kodak or Fujifilm, and why not!
In the meantime, there's a lot of older scanners available and compatible with OS X and Windows 10 with the vuescan or silverfast. If I decide to buy a medium format (Let say a Lubitel) I'll just get an Epson Flatbed.
01-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Most of my wet print kit enlargers trays tubes etc. we're free! Pig to print underexposed negs!

01-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the meantime, there's a lot of older scanners available and compatible with OS X and Windows 10 with the vuescan or silverfast. If I decide to buy a medium format (Let say a Lubitel) I'll just get an Epson Flatbed.
I do use VueScan with an old Minolta film scanner with OS X, but even used, they sell for at least $1500. For sure an Epson flatbed is an affordable solution, but the quality is greatly compromised. They look fine until you do a side-by-side comparison with a film scanner. I do not have first hand experience with Plustek or Braun, but the reviews have not been promising.

---------- Post added 01-14-17 at 08:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Most of my wet print kit enlargers trays tubes etc. we're free! Pig to print underexposed negs!
For sure, nothing will replicate the experience of printing in a darkroom with photographic paper, and I continue to do that as well. However, I personally rarely enjoyed the drum processes of Type C, Type R, Ciba/Ilfochrome P-30 color printing using either subtractive or additive systems. Got some amazing results, but never the same type of satisfaction as black and white printing with trays and safelights.
01-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I do use VueScan with an old Minolta film scanner with OS X, but even used, they sell for at least $1500. For sure an Epson flatbed is an affordable solution, but the quality is greatly compromised. They look fine until you do a side-by-side comparison with a film scanner. I do not have first hand experience with Plustek or Braun, but the reviews have not been promising.

---------- Post added 01-14-17 at 08:28 PM ----------

Multi Scan Pro? I have a DiMage IV :-)
01-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Multi Scan Pro? I have a DiMage IV :-)
Yes, Dimage MultiScan Pro. Just couldnʻt afford the Nikon CS 9000 at the time, but no regrets with mine. But I know Sony wonʻt fix them, so when this one eventually dies (uses fluorescent source; not LED) Iʻll be in the market for a multiformat film scanner again.