Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How hard is it to find a good ME Super

The news that Ektachrome is coming back is making me ponder getting back into taking the odd film. I started my SLR life with a K1000 before moving on to an ME Super with MEII winder. As I still have the winder (survived multiple ME-Supers and emigrating from the UK to the USA) I kinda would like to get another one. I loved that combo - not sure I've ever had a camera as good as that package.

The first one I had needed PCB repairs/replacement which was done by Pentax in Harrow . I later made the mistake (in retrospect) of selling it when I went digital. A second one that my father (inveterate camera buyer/seller) gave me did not survive emigrating to the US - yes I know, what was I thinking!

I can see there are many available but I'm wondering about how hard it is to find a good one. Reading on here there seem to be issues related to the sheer age of the camera. Was my experience with the PCB typical/unusual ? Given that in my case this was "only" after probably 10yrs.

Any buying advice ? Is it a lottery ? Any things I should look out - bearing in mind I'll probably be trawling fleabay.

And yes I know - choosing a camera based on a winder that hasn't wound any film in decades is a bit crazy

01-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
eBay has some ME Super bodies. Maybe you can try getting one in decent physical condition and then send it to Erik H for a CLA. It may not be cheap to do all this but you will have a camera that is better than new.
01-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
UMC

Buying a ME Super indeed is some kind of lottery, as most of them suffer from a small plastic damper on the mirrorbox, that slowly disintegrates itself into sticky debris, thus preventing the mirrorbox mechanism from moving snappily. You might want to try a google search on "ME super ramblings" for further information in this regard.

It is important to note that using the winder on an old ME Super that appeared to be good in the first place might speed up the issue or even make it emerge. Therefore here is a +1 on the advice of getting a decent model and sending it to Eric for CLA before stumbling into a frustrating experience.

Last edited by UMC; 01-07-2017 at 11:32 AM.
01-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you buy it CLA'ed you will probably have to send it in for a tune up anyways.

01-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rule of thumb is that if it is clean (battery compartment, film chamber, and mirror box included) and works (all features), it is worth buying. If any of the list is not true, the cost to repair will be 2x-3x the purchase price at minimum.

That being said, it is not hard to find a M-series Pentax bodies in good condition.* Good luck on your quest

Steve

* The same is true for other brand 35mm cameras of the same vintage. In addition to Pentax, I am particularly fond of Minolta, Ricoh, and Nikon ($$) models of that era.
01-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The ME Super had many good features. However at the time I had one, I had difficulty with getting my fingers on the electric manual speed raise/lower buttons.
So I would not look for an ME Super. I now have a Pentax MX and a Ricoh KR-5 which both use the rotary selector - easier to use with the camera up to the eye,
especially for those of us with fingers of "more than a certain age".
01-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Here's one:
Vintage Penta ME Super with leather case 50 MM lens | cameras, camcorders | Saskatoon | Kijiji
$50 CAD

01-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Consider that a ME Super + a CLA will cost somewhere between $150 and $200. You could take that same amount of money and just buy 4 to 6 ME Super bodies. If one breaks or doesn't work out then you still have 5 or so more to keep you going. But, it becomes a question of quality vs. quantity.
01-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

The Super Program/A is compatible to the same winder...

01-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Appreciate all the comments. Some very good points there. I suspect that finding a "gem" may well turn out to be a question of luck and more than one may be the order of the day. There is a certainly a maths argument about risk buying a few v. buying one and CLA. I'm more inclined to the former as my interest in film is more of a sideline than a primary goal.

And yes being a man of certain age I do wonder how I will get on with those buttons - I'm past the point where I need to fine tune viewfinders for my eyesight :-)
01-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I acquired a couple of Pentax ME Supers, both of them will not fire the shutter. I also have a couple of MZ30s and 50s that do not fire. I wanted the ME Supers because of their place in the history of popular Pentax SLRs, the MZs were for the lenses that they came with. All off ebay and all advertised as "untested" or not working and I was hoping that any problems might be due to battery terminal corrosion and worth cleaning up (it's worked with other brands).
The Pentax cameras I have that do work include P30 (P3), Program and SF variants, maybe I have been lucky there. I also have a K1000 that I am putting a film through that seems to be working well.
I also have various Ricoh, Cosina, Vivitar and Chinon cameras that work (M42 and K mounts).
If you are dead set on the ME, my (albeit limited) experience concurs with earlier posts, you may well need to get one fixed or overhauled if it hasn't already been done or well looked after.
If you would consider a different Pentax or another brand, there are quite a few about.
I have two Canon T90s, (one of them bought as a bundle with a Tamron lens I wanted), they both work even though my original T90 was not used between 2007 and 2015 when I went a bit digital with a K100D Super and I still think they were great cameras with all I might possibly ever want in a film camera. Hope that does not offend anybody!
01-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Hope that does not offend anybody!
Nope! The film camera users here at Pentax Forums are pretty brand-agnostic and many (most?) of us own more than one brand.

Steve
01-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could place a "wanted" ad here on PF, and take your chances with a solid, reputable member here.
01-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
Buying a ME Super indeed is some kind of lottery, as most of them suffer from a small plastic damper on the mirrorbox, that slowly disintegrates itself into sticky debris, thus preventing the mirrorbox mechanism from moving snappily. You might want to try a google search on "ME super ramblings" for further information in this regard.

It is important to note that using the winder on an old ME Super that appeared to be good in the first place might speed up the issue or even make it emerge. Therefore here is a +1 on the advice of getting a decent model and sending it to Eric for CLA before stumbling into a frustrating experience.
About two months ago I bought an ME super with 2 lenses for $10 USD at a flea market. I found the shutter did not work and the film advance was jammed and the plastic damper had disintegrated into a sticky mess, just as you described. There was a Sigma manual 28 - 70 zoom and the aperture blades were frozen. On the other hand the M 50mm F1.7 was in pristine and perfect working condition. My decision was to toss both the ME super and Sigma zoom lens into the trash as not worth fixing and be glad I got a like new M 50 F1.7 for a reasonable price. Its hard to say if all of this talk about ektachrome making a comeback will rekindle any interest in shooting film again. Now that I got used to shooting digital, I can't imagine my K-3 going into the closet and sending out rolls of film again for developing.
01-07-2017, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Its hard to say if all of this talk about ektachrome making a comeback will rekindle any interest in shooting film again. Now that I got used to shooting digital, I can't imagine my K-3 going into the closet and sending out rolls of film again for developing.
To be honest it's a mixture of nostalgia and a re-kindled interest in photography as a skill. Re-kindled by a very much digital and non-Pentax Sony A6000. which will still be my main camera. I'm just interested in film as one aspect of photography. That and re-living my youth with better lenses ...