Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2017, 12:54 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buyers Beware!

Buyers Beware!

I saw someone posted a link to what looks like an insanely good deal on a Pentax MZ-S in a different thread.

I have recently noticed a rather large amount of camera gear on ebay with insanely low BIN prices, and free shipping. The seller is always in China with a 0 transaction/feedback rating. The photos of the gear is usually just copied from other legitimate listings.

If it looks to good to be true, that's probably because it is.
Always check out the seller.

01-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very true. I got burned on a deal for an external hard drive last all. Fortunately, eBay stepped in and refunded my money.
01-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Ebay

I bought a used 300mm f:4 (M or SMC) a few month ago for less than 150US.
I was delighted and surprised that the lens was brand new.
Good thing also happen on Ebay.
Attached Images

Last edited by gerardbaron; 01-08-2017 at 05:45 PM.
01-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
I bought a used 300mm f:4 (M or SMC) a few month ago for less than 150US.
I was delighted and surprised that the lens was brand new.
Good thing also happen on Ebay.
Was the seller a zero feedback user in China?

01-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Very true. I got burned on a deal for an external hard drive last all. Fortunately, eBay stepped in and refunded my money.

Yeah, you're covered with eBay, they refund you if you don't get an item.
01-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
Yeah, you're covered with eBay, they refund you if you don't get an item.
but if you get the item and it is really a piece of junk

then what

????

(not my experience I hesitate to buy from overseas sellers b/c I am afraid of customs, delays and more $)
01-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
but if you get the item and it is really a piece of junk

then what

????

(not my experience I hesitate to buy from overseas sellers b/c I am afraid of customs, delays and more $)
I think they will refund you if you send it back as well. And if you don't get it, that one I know for sure.

That's the only way I can buy much of my used gear, there are no that many seeking that gear here in Mexico, so I have used eBay a lot! I mostly buy from Japan used gear, and it has always been in excellent condition.

Last edited by Pablo Villegas; 01-09-2017 at 02:08 PM.
01-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can either say you didn't get it, and I think they will refund you if you send it back as well.

That's the only way I can buy much of my used gear, there are no that many seeking that gear here in Mexico, so I have used eBay a lot! I mostly buy from Japan used gear, and it has always been in excellent condition.

I hope you are not advocating lying. The seller would be out of the item and there would be potential insurance payout and that would be fraud.

As someone who has received an item that failed to meet expectations on more than one occasion I can say that most sellers are reasonable - if they failed to represent the item they will make some concession to you. If you are totally unhappy and they are unwilling to deal then eBay's dispute resolution process is available. You can't just "change your mind" and you can't have ignored data in the seller's ad - so if they showed a big scratch and you missed it and then complain - too bad. If they failed to show it and claimed it was optically clean - you have a good leg to stand on.
01-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I hope you are not advocating lying. The seller would be out of the item and there would be potential insurance payout and that would be fraud.

As someone who has received an item that failed to meet expectations on more than one occasion I can say that most sellers are reasonable - if they failed to represent the item they will make some concession to you. If you are totally unhappy and they are unwilling to deal then eBay's dispute resolution process is available. You can't just "change your mind" and you can't have ignored data in the seller's ad - so if they showed a big scratch and you missed it and then complain - too bad. If they failed to show it and claimed it was optically clean - you have a good leg to stand on.
I'm saying if there's no chance of resolution or getting your money back, like the poster I was replying said, receiving a dud instead of what you paid. If you receive something that doesn't work or is in a terrible state, thatwas no stated, the seller was lying, so he won't be willing to take it back. And I don't know if the can refund you if you do get the item, or you need to settle it with the seller.
01-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm saying if there's no chance of resolution or getting your money back, like the poster I was replying said, receiving a dud instead of what you paid. If you receive something that doesn't work or is in a terrible state, thatwas no stated, the seller was lying, so he won't be willing to take it back. And I don't know if the can refund you if you do get the item, or you need to settle it with the seller.
The dispute resolution service covers that. Once you file a dispute you follow their process. Then they come to a decision. If in your favor the item is returned to the seller and they refund your money. The shipping is paid for by eBay and seller. The seller failing to refund triggers sanctions and eBay pays you.

At no time is lying about the item arriving a viable option. I strongly suggest editing your original post as it seems to suggest this.
01-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The dispute resolution service covers that. Once you file a dispute you follow their process. Then they come to a decision. If in your favor the item is returned to the seller and they refund your money. The shipping is paid for by eBay and seller. The seller failing to refund triggers sanctions and eBay pays you.

At no time is lying about the item arriving a viable option. I strongly suggest editing your original post as it seems to suggest this.
I didn't know that, that why I said you can always say it didn't arrive. I never had to settle a dispute with a seller, unless the item didn't arrive. Yeah, I'll edit it. Thanks for clarifying it.
01-09-2017, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you receive an item that is in a condition different than the listing described it as, then ebay buyer protection should cover it if the seller refuses to take it back.

The major point of my original post was that it's always smart to check out the seller.
01-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
If you receive an item that is in a condition different than the listing described it as, then ebay buyer protection should cover it if the seller refuses to take it back.

The major point of my original post was that it's always smart to check out the seller.

Your major point is right on IMHO

luckily the very few times I had "problems" with an item I bought on EBAY, I communicated through EBAY with the seller and we were able to reach a good accommodation acceptable to all. YMMV

As Swift 1 suggests doing, I take my time in deciding - BUYER BEWARE - and check out the item and seller as much as possible.

Good luck to all who decide to try EBAY or a similar site.

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-09-2017 at 02:37 PM.
01-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find condition of items is often overstated and pictures are not always clear enough to see issues. I have had items arrive that were supposed to be clear and free of problems and they were scratched to the point of non-useable. Contacting the seller got me a - oh gee I didn't notice that, and a prompt refund and instructions to keep the item or toss it at my leisure. I use it as a paperweight to this day (EL Nikkor 50 f/2.8)
01-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Buyers Beware!

I saw someone posted a link to what looks like an insanely good deal on a Pentax MZ-S in a different thread.

I have recently noticed a rather large amount of camera gear on ebay with insanely low BIN prices, and free shipping. The seller is always in China with a 0 transaction/feedback rating. The photos of the gear is usually just copied from other legitimate listings.

If it looks to good to be true, that's probably because it is.
Always check out the seller.
I saw one last night and reported it to eBay. Nikon D7000 Buy-it-Now for $48 with free shipping from China, zero feedback seller, only one very small photo.