Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back to the roots

A couple of weeks ago I was out walking with an old friend. After having shot digital for quite a number of years I dusted off my 1969 Spotmatic loaded with a Kodak Gold 200, to relive the feeling shooting of film.

Muscle memory is a funny thing. First of all they had forgotten that you have to advance the film between shots . Next, after each shot I looked at the back of the camera in hopes to get a glimpse of the histogram .
It definitely was educational. Here are som shots with the 55/f2 @f8.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Scan Dual IV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Scan Dual IV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Scan Dual IV  Photo 

Last edited by Bengan; 01-10-2017 at 12:19 PM.
01-10-2017, 03:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful photography here, sir. In my film days, that brand and ISO number was my all time favorite. Amazing shots and you did not have to do any PPE.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony
01-10-2017, 05:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Next, after each shot I looked at the back of the camera in hopes to get a glimpse of the histogram
The first time I took a picture of my kids with a film camera, they asked to see the picture. I had to explain why they couldn't until later.
01-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The first time I took a picture of my kids with a film camera, they asked to see the picture. I had to explain why they couldn't until later.
That's what inspired Edwin Land to invent the Polaroid camera.

01-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple of weeks ago I was out walking with an old friend. After having shot digital for quite a number of years I dusted off my 1969 Spotmatic loaded with a Kodak Gold 200, to relive the feeling shooting film.

Muscle memory is funny thing. First of all they had forgotten that you have to advance the film between shots . Next, after each shot I looked at the back of the camera in hopes to get a glimpse of the histogram .
Good stuff, welcome back!

Phil.
01-10-2017, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You're part of a fast growing trend.
Film photography makes a stunning comeback | European CEO
At the beginning of 2016 I had one unused film camera, an ME Super which belonged to my father. Now I have 7 including medium format. If the bug has bitten, beware!
01-10-2017, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
You're part of a fast growing trend.
Film photography makes a stunning comeback | European CEO
At the beginning of 2016 I had one unused film camera, an ME Super which belonged to my father. Now I have 7 including medium format. If the bug has bitten, beware!
Good article, thanks for posting.

I never gave up on film and switched to digital, as well as I never sold my turntable and gave up on vinyl. People eventually see the light............

Phil.

01-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
k22
Site Supporter

A couple of weeks ago I was out walking with an old friend. After having shot digital for quite a number of years I dusted off my 1969 Spotmatic loaded with a Kodak Gold 200, to relive the feeling shooting of film.

Muscle memory is a funny thing. First of all they had forgotten that you have to advance the film between shots . Next, after each shot I looked at the back of the camera in hopes to get a glimpse of the histogram .
Love the immediacy of digital but film is so refreshing, so humble...
01-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very nice images!
01-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dusted off my 1969 Spotmatic loaded with a Kodak Gold 200, to relive the feeling shooting of film.
Funny is it not, but the yearning to shoot film stays with some of us. After a while, I just have to select a film camera and film to satisfy this urge. Nice shots by the way.
01-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Wonderful photography here, sir. In my film days, that brand and ISO number was my all time favorite. Amazing shots and you did not have to do any PPE.

Thanks. Not completely without post editing though. The scanner lacks IR channel, so dust remowal is manual labour. At the same time I added a little noise reduction and slight leveling (I got spoiled by the automatic level feature in digital bodies).

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

I can relate to your kids impatience.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Good stuff, welcome back!
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Very nice images!
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Nice shots by the way.

Thanks, I will definitely do this again.
01-11-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Good article, thanks for posting.

I never gave up on film and switched to digital, as well as I never sold my turntable and gave up on vinyl. People eventually see the light............

Phil.
We stopped with vinyl more than a decade ago but never got rid of the albums or the turntable. A fellow photographer who used to be very anti film (digial so much better and that film was dead circa 2008) sells high end audio and with the return of vinyl he has now accepted that there are reasons to shot film. I bought a Riga cartridge from him and we are back to putting on discs.

So now vinyl and CDs film and digital, manual transmissions and manual transmissions

OP great to return to your roots even if it is only an occasional visit.