Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Asahiflex I sales figures?

Ever since buying my Asahiflex I on eBay some 8 years ago, I have not seen another one for sale. Or maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Yes, I mean the first camera model from Pentax, with the type I 50mm f/3.5 Asahi-Kogaku Takumar lens. Although my camera has a defective shutter and is missing the leather on the front, it is otherwise in a great shape. The leather is not really a problem, I can rip that off from a IIB if needed

However, it would be nice to know about any Asahiflex I (or IA) sales in the previous 8 years. (Never mind the IIB and IIA's which are easy to find). Anyone?

08-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Ever since buying my Asahiflex I on eBay some 8 years ago, I have not seen another one for sale. Or maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

However, it would be nice to know about any Asahiflex I (or IA) sales in the previous 8 years. (Never mind the IIB and IIA's which are easy to find). Anyone?
I've watched a couple pass by. Usually damaged in some form, but a mintish one went past some time back. Can't recall selling price and it's gone from my watches. If I see another, I'll look you up. I think the mnemonic is sufficient... heh.

woof!
08-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Inactive Account

. Although my camera has a defective shutter and is missing the leather on the front, it is otherwise in a great shape.
Wonder what Eric would say if you sent him that one to work on?

I've seen some II's but not a I.

CW
08-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
CW
I can't swear to this, but the shutter looks an awful lot like the pentaprism models that followed. If that is the case, replacement parts may be easier than you think to find.

I looked into the history of all this and the Original 1957 Asahi "AP" was based on a prototype that was CLEARLY derived from a modified Asahiflex IIA. Please see: Asahiflex

Compare:

Asahi 11B (Earlier than IIA, so just subsequent to IA):

Original Asahi "AP"

hmmm... looks like a direct 1:1 to me. If ** this is true, I'll bet the basic curtains from any of the subsequent models up to the SV might work... I'll bet a lot of the internals are interchangeable, and the IIB was NOT that big a step up from the IA.

woof!

08-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums

CW
Truth.

I have a recent email from Eric [EDIT: I can't find the actual email, but I recall the conversation] asking me if he could have an extra day or two to repair my MESuper because he was hand-fabricating shutter curtain parts for an Asahiflex.

(He would probably hand-cut new leathers, too.)

Last edited by monochrome; 08-04-2008 at 08:08 PM.
08-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's a little more on interchangeability between Asahiflex and Original AP. Look about halfway down for: "Asahiflex IIA and Asahi Pentax compared"

I know it is about IIA's, but if ther eare differences, then it stands to reason that the differences between 1/1A and Ap are greater... best I could do in a pinch. Seems there are significant differences ...

Asahiflex IIA and Asahi Pentax compared

It is interesting to find that Eric does do repairs on Asahiflex though.

woof
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Camera Skin

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
(He would probably hand-cut new leathers, too.)
And you might try here: CameraLeather.com Custom camera leather and leatherette

we routinely do custom recovering of cameras we don't make pre-cut kits for

Usual caveat: I am in NO way associated etc.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

If you go this route, the Black & White Cobra is ABSOLUTELY out of the question.

But the cobalt Kid would be nice.

Bill
08-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a recent email from Eric [EDIT: I can't find the actual email, but I recall the conversation] asking me if he could have an extra day or two to repair my MESuper because he was hand-fabricating shutter curtain parts for an Asahiflex.
I don't know if he had to hand fabricate mine but he's just finishing up putting a new curtain my S1a along with doing a CLA.

CW

08-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster

CW
OK, who is Eric? I have seen his name in a few For Sale postings here, so I suppose he's a famous Pentax repairman?
08-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I can't swear to this, but the shutter looks an awful lot like the pentaprism models that followed. If that is the case, replacement parts may be easier than you think to find.
But the shutter mechanism itself is completely hidden. I don't think many parts are interchangeable between the models. I don't have proof of that, but I do have all Asahiflex models (I, IA, IIB, IIA) but the shutter assembly should be different. The I was reportedly a very unreliable camera, subsequent models are usually still working although they often have a slow 2nd curtain which does not close completely, so the mirror stays in the up position.

QuoteQuote:
I looked into the history of all this and the Original 1957 Asahi "AP" was based on a prototype that was CLEARLY derived from a modified Asahiflex IIA. Please see: Asahiflex
Thanks for linking to an article I've personally written

Last edited by Asahiflex; 08-04-2008 at 11:24 PM.
08-05-2008, 03:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The I was reportedly a very unreliable camera, subsequent models are usually still working although they often have a slow 2nd curtain which does not close completely, so the mirror stays in the up position.
Logic would seem to dictate that going from unreliable to reliable rules out interchangeability of the parts.... On the other hand, I do know that there are components in the mirror linkage mechanism of the AP that are also prone to failure. This is why you find so many with the mirror flipped up. The part is exactly the same part as in the SV, a much later model that did not have the problem. The difference appears to be that in the AP it is made of mild steel and in the SV it is made of hardened steel.

Thanks for linking to an article I've personally written
Nicely done, and very interesting. Until now I have never contemplated going any further back with the collection than 1957.

woof!
08-05-2008, 05:07 AM   #12
Inactive Account

OK, who is Eric? I have seen his name in a few For Sale postings here, so I suppose he's a famous Pentax repairman?
Go here: Home

Don't know what challenges you might have to overcome to get that camera into the US. For our European friends lets start a rumor about a genius Pentax repairman located somewhere in a castle in Transylvania. What do you think? Maybe NOT!!!

Bill
08-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Go here: Home

Don't know what challenges you might have to overcome to get that camera into the US. For our European friends lets start a rumor about a genius Pentax repairman located somewhere in a castle in Transylvania. What do you think? Maybe NOT!!!

Bill

I can deal with that! It's no more than a 4-hour drive away!
08-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I can deal with that! It's no more than a 4-hour drive away!
Yes, ask for Vlad Ţepeş. Here's a pic.

08-06-2008, 12:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Yes, ask for Vlad Ţepeş. Here's a pic.
We happen to be very close friends, Vlad and I.

And I know for sure he has never ruled over Transylvania. Just Wallachia, where I am now.