Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK -- now I'm really confused. I don't need my glasses to shoot my K3 and K500 due to the fact they have diopter adjustment capability, but they only adjust -2.5 to +1.5. So if I can see fine with the built-in diopter adjustment range on my K3 and K500, why do I need +3 reading glasses to see through the K2, K1000 and ME Super VF's? Any thoughts? I'm thinking I need to do a little more research (or just suck-it-up and get used to shooting with my glasses on).

Last edited by ripper2860; 01-11-2017 at 01:00 PM.
01-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #17
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably an eye relief effect of the soft eyecup. You're using more central vision than lower vision.

I use a +2 on film cameras but +.5 (by counting clicks) on K-1.

Also, Pentax cameras have a natural -1 diopter setting, so your apparent mis-correction is even larger than it appears. Nikon cameras have an uncorrected eyepiece.
01-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Speaking as another age related spec wearer (reading glasses) could ask a subsidiary question ? I usually have 2.75 reading glasses. The viewfinder magnifiers usually indicate magnification of c. 1.0 to 2.0 - does this mean they won't actually stretch far enough to meet my needs or am I miss-reading (sic) the specs(double sic!).
01-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
Speaking as another age related spec wearer (reading glasses) could ask a subsidiary question ? I usually have 2.75 reading glasses. The viewfinder magnifiers usually indicate magnification of c. 1.0 to 2.0 - does this mean they won't actually stretch far enough to meet my needs or am I miss-reading (sic) the specs(double sic!).

Don't confuse magnification with diopter correction. The former is how much the view through the viewfinder is magnified. The latter is how much latitude there is to achieve correct/critical focus of that view (note that when adjusting or checking this what you are looking at is how sharp the lines etc are on the viewfinder screen, not how sharp the image is, in fact you are better leaving the image through the lens out of focus so to concentrate better on the focus screen).
However in my previous post I referred to a VF magnifier whose design meant that you can't adjust the one without affecting the other.