Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Diopter vs. Magnifier for K2, ME Super and K1000

Getting back into shooting film and have dusted off my K2, K100 and ME Super. Love them and they are in perfect working order with only issue being my eyes are not what they used to be and I absolutely HATE shooting with my glasses on. After some experimentation with reading glasses of various power, I've determine that I likely need a +3 diopter. Went online and the Pentax +3 diopters are pretty pricey with generic variable magnifiers being much more available and affordable. So I thought I would ask the experts here if a focusing magnifier could perform in a a similar capacity as a diopter and allow one to adjust for focusing and reading of the VF meter information for the bespectacled folks like me. I suspect the answer is NO, as a diopter and magnifier are engineered differently and are deserved for different purposes, but what the heck -- never hurts to ask and I've never been flamed by the fine folks here for asking stupid questions. Heck, if you fine folks tolerated my what is crop-factor questions when I first signed up, this one should be A PIECE OF CAKE!! Or if you know of any 3rd party diopters compatible with Pentax M VF's -- I'm all ears (eyes).

Thanks in advance.

01-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The issue with eyepiece accessories on the M class bodies - especially the later cameras e.g. SuperA / Program and onward is the FoV of the Magnifier M and Refconverter M block the information in the margins of the focusing screen. Pentax issued A versions of both accessories that had a small notch in the lower margin of the frame to reveal the margin data. The Magnifier and Refconverter / Refconverter ll for the K class and earlier M42 bodies will not fit you MESuper - the VF frame of the M class and later bodies is slightly larger. (See my reply in your Wanted post).

I suggest seeking both Correction Lens Adapters ('K' and 'M') in your specific prescription correction.

Boz's K-Mount Page has a full detail. Scroll down to 'Viewfinder Attachments'.
01-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Getting back into shooting film and have dusted off my K2, K100 and ME Super. Love them and they are in perfect working order with only issue being my eyes are not what they used to be and I absolutely HATE shooting with my glasses on. After some experimentation with reading glasses of various power, I've determine that I likely need a +3 diopter. Went online and the Pentax +3 diopters are pretty pricey with generic variable magnifiers being much more available and affordable. So I thought I would ask the experts here if a focusing magnifier could perform in a a similar capacity as a diopter and allow one to adjust for focusing and reading of the VF meter information for the bespectacled folks like me. I suspect the answer is NO, as a diopter and magnifier are engineered differently and are deserved for different purposes, but what the heck -- never hurts to ask and I've never been flamed by the fine folks here for asking stupid questions. Heck, if you fine folks tolerated my what is crop-factor questions when I first signed up, this one should be A PIECE OF CAKE!! Or if you know of any 3rd party diopters compatible with Pentax M VF's -- I'm all ears (eyes).

Thanks in advance.
The three cameras you mentioned all have diopters available as a view finder attachment. You can find them new and used online.

However the K2 & K1000 has a smaller viewfinder frame than the ME Super, so Pentax has a "M" version for the ME Super. (The diopter will have a "M" on the side. The "K"Series one is unmarked)

I would skip the magnifier as you will poke yourself in the eye, a right angle converter would be a better bet, but using it handheld is also a pain. (Better for tripod work)

Phil.
01-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The issue with eyepiece accessories on the M class bodies - especially the later cameras e.g. SuperA / Program and onward is the FoV of the Magnifier M and Refconverter M block the information in the margins of the focusing screen. Pentax issued A versions of both accessories that had a small notch in the lower margin of the frame to reveal the margin data. The Magnifier and Refconverter / Refconverter ll for the K class and earlier M42 bodies will not fit you MESuper - the VF frame of the M class and later bodies is slightly larger. (See my reply in your Wanted post).

I suggest seeking both Correction Lens Adapters ('K' and 'M') in your specific prescription correction.
Thanks. I was not really aware of the difference. I've found a single +3 diopter on 'the auction site' and it appears to be an M, although at much higher than you estimated. Not able to really get any hits on a K diopter, but it could be me and my weak search skills. I saw your reply on the WANTED post and hope you will be able to find one or more that you can sell.

Thx.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The three cameras you mentioned all have diopters available as a view finder attachment. You can find them new and used online.

However the K2 & K1000 has a smaller viewfinder frame than the ME Super, so Pentax has a "M" version for the ME Super. (The diopter will have a "M" on the side. The "K"Series one is unmarked)

I would skip the magnifier as you will poke yourself in the eye, a right angle converter would be a better bet, but using it handheld is also a pain. (Better for tripod work)

Phil.
Thanks. Found a rather pricey M on the auction site, but no luck on a K yet.

01-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately it isn't in the box - only +2. The rectangular Nikons fit the M bodies. $54.98 is . . . No.
01-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately it isn't in the box - only +2. The rectangular Nikons fit the M bodies. $54.98 is . . . No.
Yeah -- way too much. Found a used one for M +3 less. Don't really care about a box, etc. I'll keep an eye out for a K, but if you happen to find a link for one at the'auction site', let me know as I really don't know what to look for on a K.

Thanks!!
01-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Yeah -- way too much. Found a used one for M +3 less. Don't really care about a box, etc. I'll keep an eye out for a K, but if you happen to find a link for one at the'auction site', let me know as I really don't know what to look for on a K.

Thanks!!
No specific mention of M is the most common clue

Will do. There's a Refconverter A at KEH FYI.

01-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #8

The problem (as noted previously) with using either the magnifier or refconverter for diopter correction is that they are magnifiers. Even with the "A" versions there us cutoff of the viewfinder.

The other drawback is they are awkward to use. The magnifier is essentially a tube sticking out from you normal eyepiece and the refconverter has a bulky tube sticking out at 90 degrees and you to look into it at 90 degrees from the camera lens.

They came with two styles of eyecups - a small one and a larger dish shaped cup. Finding a used magnifier or refconverter with both eyecups included is rare.

If somebody knows of a 3rd party eyecup (including other brands like Nikon) that will fit let us know. Since the eyecups on my magnifier and Refconverter M are old they feel a bit dried out and I'm afraid to remove them as they might crack. Both are the small type eyecup.
01-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Pentax magnifier is very good for getting the absolute critical focus you want. It is specific for use only with the K series or M series.

If you're looking for a magnifier/right angle finder, then consider the Olympus Varimagni Finder that was made for the Olympus OM series but also fits the Pentax K & M series as well as the LX. It also fits most all of my other brands too. Very versatile.

BTW, some of the finders for the LX have built-in diopter adjustment. The FA-1W finder has the widest diopter range of -3 to +1.
01-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No specific mention of M is the most common clue

Will do. There's a Refconverter A at KEH FYI.
Thanks. I just realized that I actually already own a Pentax Magnifier FB and had it tucked away in my K3 bag for critical focus use. It does seem to fit on my K2 and ME Super (didn't try the K1000), but it while it does to seem be an excellent focusing aid, allowing me to focus without glasses, it severely cuts the VF view making it impossible to read the meter information. Looks like diopter is the way to go.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If you're looking for a magnifier/right angle finder, then consider the Olympus Varimagni Finder that was made for the Olympus OM series but also fits the Pentax K & M series as well as the LX. It also fits most all of my other brands too. Very versatile.
Very interesting find on the OM finder. It has certainly peaked my interest.

Last edited by ripper2860; 01-10-2017 at 09:51 PM.
01-11-2017, 12:12 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The "M" is hard to come by and the "K", virtually non-existent. I would love to find a +1 K.

The Pentax magnifier is very good for getting the absolute critical focus you want. It is specific for use only with the K series or M series.
The K and M series cameras use different size viewfinder accessories. The K-series viewfinder frame is same as that used on M42 bodies, while the M-series specification continues to the current day.)

was made for the Olympus OM series but also fits the Pentax K & M series as well as the LX.
I have heard this said before. Which does it fit better? The M-series eyepiece accessories are a very loose fit on K-series and M42 bodies. K-series eyepiece accessories are too narrow to fit M-series and later cameras.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-15-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: For clarity
01-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The rectangular Nikons fit the M bodies. $54.98 is . . . No.
I own the Nikon DK-20C and it is a perfect fit on my Ricoh XR bodies, but VERY tight on Pentax M-series and later bodies. Note that Nikon diopter numbers have are -1 compared to most others. A Nikon 0.0 is equivalent to Pentax 1+.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-11-2017 at 12:36 AM.
01-11-2017, 08:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From my experience with it you will be able to get this VF magnifier to work (mainly) as a diopter correction*.

1.08 - 1.60x zoom viewfinder magnifier (China) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I have been playing with a recently acquired Pentax magnifier-M (that's a straight one rather than the right angle ref-converters), what i've learned from this is that while the increased 2x magnification over my tenpa 1.36x is a noticeable gain for precise focus, it is offset by noticeable light attenuation - the viewing is even dimmer. And the exit pupil isn't very big and the vignetting is significant. Conclusion: 2x's not recommended for general use.

*hang on - are you myopic? if so then you mean -3 correction not +3. Not sure if this china VF magnifier would do +3.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-11-2017 at 08:15 AM.
01-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #14
Forum Member

you could also try buying a really cheap pair of plastic lens glasses online in your prescription , then carefully trim the lens down to fit inside the viewfinder, did this with my Hasselblad prism finder and works perfectly. I used a dremel to do mine.
01-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
From my experience with it you will be able to get this VF magnifier to work (mainly) as a diopter correction*.

*hang on - are you myopic? if so then you mean -3 correction not +3. Not sure if this china VF magnifier would do +3.
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I don't really know. My vision is bad all the way around -- problems reading a book, problems reading a computer screen, and problems seeing at a distance while driving. I currently use progressive lens glasses with +3 power at the bottom, +2.5 at the center and +1.5 at the top. I use the bottom of the glasses for reading and using the VF on the film cameras. I also confirmed ability to see VF meters clearly and ability to focus by using a pair of +3 single power reading glasses, so it seems +3 is the way to go for me as it relates to a dipoter.

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlH Quote
you could also try buying a really cheap pair of plastic lens glasses online in your prescription , then carefully trim the lens down to fit inside the viewfinder, did this with my Hasselblad prism finder and works perfectly. I used a dremel to do mine.
I have Yashica and Richoflex TLR cameras with waist level finders and have no issues with my glasses shooting those. I do have some Yashica, Minolta and Konica Range Finders and my old Pentax film cameras that I'd love to start shooting again, but hate wearing glasses with those. I've given up on finding diopters and magnifiers for the Range Finders, but hope to get the Pentax cameras back in action.

Last edited by ripper2860; 01-11-2017 at 11:16 AM.