Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have never seen that turntable in real life. Is it a Harmon Kardan? Interesting arm.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #9 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #10. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
No, not a Harmon Kardon. ;-) This unit worked very well with my McIntosh electronics and Bozak Concert Grands. ( I liked to play orchestral and pipe organ recordings on my Willli Studer Revox half track)

Last edited by Rickster; 08-13-2008 at 08:04 AM.
08-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry guys, but I'm digital in every way possible. Even though I suffer from hearing loss (from working in a stamping plant) I can hear stuff on remastered digital recordings that I never heard on the original. You also don't need a giga watt state of the art system for good quality sound anymore (got rid of my Marantz and Bogen amps years ago).

I also do not agree with Brendan's statement of taking pictures with a digital. It captures as much information as film does, but in using his words, neither take a "picture", it up to the printing to do that.

I'll bet he's trying to joint the Flat Earth Society too.
07-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

OK ... long enough.

It's a Marantz SL12 Straight Line Tracking Turntable

Marantz SLT-12 on thevintageknob.org
07-09-2012, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

When CD's first came out they were so flat sounding, but that was lots of years ago and a whole lot of tech. There are certain CD's that I kind of miss the crackle and pop thing with. But that's not because of my ears. That's simple nostalgia. I first heard them like that. Listening to a Beatles tune my ears just expect that noise that's all. I like both digital and analog music and photography but I don't confuse quality with nostalgia. My K-x can kick my SPII's arse in terms of what it can do. My CD's sound a 100X better than my old vinyls. That's a fact. But I still like listening to the vinyl sometimes and I still like the mindset of shooting film sometimes. It's the same reason I pull out my old cast iron 50's Singer every once in a while to sew on. It's a great machine and it's fun to use. But my Janome is it's equal and then some. I don't really believe it has to be either or when it comes to anything like that. I think you can do both. Love new tech and have an appreciation for antique tech too. I just don't see it as something worth having a battle over. I have a digital media player. I have old vinyl. I have a DSLR and I have old film SLR's. They actually compliment each other.

07-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Negatives last forever
Only if stored correctly, heap of mine sure didn't like the damp they found themselves in.
07-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Negatives even properly stored can deteriorate over time. My parents always stored theirs in a cool, dry place. Well, as cool and dry as it ever gets here, anyway. First 10 years or so up North it was fine. No loss to speak of. They did okay even here in sweat land, for a while. But the past few years most of their early negs just faded almost into oblivion. I've been trying to scan a few just to try it and it's hardly worth it there's so little on the negs now in some cases. They weren't likely even taken from the box once they took them except by me to look a couple of times for particular shots to make prints but you can see on some of them how badly they have degraded. One side of the strip will be okay the other shot and they are brittle too. Negs don't last forever unless you have a climate controlled room with special cabinets like my one teacher does and even he's making digital backups now. That's how I paid for my lessons. I spent a lot of time scanning his work. He's got 65 years worth and he's only half done. But I really enjoyed it. It was a thriller to see it all.
07-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #37

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I was never a fan of his work (remember Encino Man? :ugh: )
His views on choosing movies I think is even more interesting than his views on photography. I saw an interview of an interviewer who spoke to him once. The interviewer was well known for getting "into" the people that he was interviewing and he did one on Brendan Fraser. The long and the short of it is that Brendan Fraser will take any job that he's offered because as a boy he went to a prestigious private school in Canada. Then in his last year, his father lost his job so he got kicked out....He said that he would make sure that would never happen to his kids.