Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Crikey! I'm amazed the interior of the shop isn't blown out to hell. They must use 2 watt light globes.
It's a great shot, mate. I love the way you've captured the woman so absorbed in her paper that she could be sitting on a bed of nails and wouldn't notice it, let alone the guy with the camera. BTW, do you ever use a polaroid filter when you're shooting through windows? It sounds like you'd have plenty of f stops to spare if you wanted to use one.
Actually, goin' back over me negs, I now see I was thinking of a similar shot I took on that roll that was about f3.5 - that one was at 1/125, as I was walking when I took it, so I need the speed, but I'm certain now the ap was probably 8 or 11.

QuoteQuote:
So you're a night prowler. I was going to ask if you ever get any offers, but I guess Brissie is a bit too respectable for that sort of thing....?
Not now that I stay away from The Beat.

11-19-2008, 03:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
True, nothing like TriX developed in Dektol !
Even though Delta3200 in Rodinal gets awfully close

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I remember when you pushed the limits in the camera of some films like TriX you got grain like golf balls.

If you pushed it again with chemicals at the dev stage these golf balls turned into beach balls.

I'll have a dig through the old stuff and see if I have any examples left.
11-19-2008, 05:42 AM   #33
Inactive Account

One hundred per cent crop of the original, 4800dpi scan here.

I've devved all the shots I've put up here in D-76. Tri-X and D-76 is like a pie and sauce.
11-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Skid, thanks for enlarging your shot - that's serious grain! Looks like it was drawn with a ballpoint pen!
your welcome...

it was in a room with no lights on, the only reason I was able to get a shot at all was the glow of her laptop on her face and a fast 50mm lens.

11-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Artobest, looking again at your pic of the wee bairn, what's your take on the distinction between colour noise and grain? I've never thought of grain being associated with colour, but then I never use colour film and don't know what it's made of, so it's new to me. Enlighten me, if you please.
11-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sunny Day

11-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Winter Portrait

11-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Artobest, looking again at your pic of the wee bairn, what's your take on the distinction between colour noise and grain? I've never thought of grain being associated with colour, but then I never use colour film and don't know what it's made of, so it's new to me. Enlighten me, if you please.
Colour film is grainy like black and white film - both are based on silver halide crystals, the difference being that, in colour film, the crystals are removed during processing leaving behind little blots of dye. Colour films are less obviously grainy, partly because the grain has been selectively bred out of them for years, and partly because of the way our eyes perceive small colour changes (ie not very well). But you can still get good graininess with higher speed films, especially when cropping. It's more complex than black and white grain, but it's there as a kind of stippling. I've done a high-pass sharpen on a 100% crop of the baby pic that may make it artificially clearer (hard to say with all the compression etc).

I don't know about this colour noise of which you speak - do you mean chroma noise, that disgusting speckling you get from digital imaging devices?

Attached Images

11-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Colour film is grainy like black and white film - both are based on silver halide crystals, the difference being that, in colour film, the crystals are removed during processing leaving behind little blots of dye. Colour films are less obviously grainy, partly because the grain has been selectively bred out of them for years, and partly because of the way our eyes perceive small colour changes (ie not very well). But you can still get good graininess with higher speed films, especially when cropping. It's more complex than black and white grain, but it's there as a kind of stippling. I've done a high-pass sharpen on a 100% crop of the baby pic that may make it artificially clearer (hard to say with all the compression etc).
That's a very clear explanation. I didn't realize colour film was silver halide based.I'd always assumed it was some completely different structure. Your crop certainly demonstrates the difference between colour grain and noise.

QuoteQuote:
I don't know about this colour noise of which you speak - do you mean chroma noise, that disgusting speckling you get from digital imaging devices?
That's the one. It's 'orrible and is one of the reasons I bought a film camera (though I still use the digital).
11-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #40
Inactive Account

I just love this photo. I believe that this is Fuji Reala 100, but am not 100% sure without digging around a little.

11-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Lovely, interesting shot. I'm curious about what camera you used, though. Isn't the *ist a digital?
No *ist is a very small film camera.

11-23-2008, 05:02 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
No *ist is a very small film camera.
Sorry, I had it confused with the *ist!

(Walks away, mumbling...).
11-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's one - I don't have the negs to hand so can't say what it was. It's not much cropped. It's filthy with grain though.
Attached Images

11-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Here's one - I don't have the negs to hand so can't say what it was. It's not much cropped. It's filthy with grain though.
Oooh, I love this. Gorgeous composition and grain you could eat with an apple and yoghurt. Very fine indeed, sir.
11-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks mate. It would take a gibbon to stuff up a shot like that, though.