Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wonder, do you guys develop the b&w film by yourself or simply send them to labs? I'm thinking of shooting some b&w again, but to find a good lab to have them developed isn't easy nowadays Got two little kids at home, kinda hard to do it by myself ...

12-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #62
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just wonder, do you guys develop the b&w film by yourself or simply send them to labs? I'm thinking of shooting some b&w again, but to find a good lab to have them developed isn't easy nowadays Got two little kids at home, kinda hard to do it by myself ...
I do it myself because otherwise I'd have to mail it to the next province for processing. Load the canister in the bathroom, then develop in the kitchen with the lights on. I've got temperature and timing down allright, need to work on avoiding water marks and dust when I hang it to dry.
12-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This has been a most enjoyable thread and what wonderful photography!!!

While they are ''all'' great, these in particular are my favs so far in no particular order....Well done!

12-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #64
Veteran Member

12-02-2008, 03:38 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
So, what the heck is *ist supposed to mean, anyway, apart from a search string that could bring up half the dictionary? Asteriskist? (Nightmare for Sylvester the Cat to pronounce, that way)

I'm always trying to figure out what rude word the asterisk is supposed to be hiding. Possibly "*@&# styl-ist that convinced us it was a great idea to wrap everything in ersatz-chrome plastic?"

Anyway, it seems I found the b&W negative people. Hi. I'm not currently shooting any of my film on Pentax, but probably will be eventually doing some of it on one.
The *ist is the last film body that Pentax ever introduced... as of now, anyway; one can always hope for the future . Have a look at it at B. Dimitrov's excellent, excellent site, here.

As for the name, I'm sure it's just marketing mumbo jumbo.
12-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
I do it myself because otherwise I'd have to mail it to the next province for processing. Load the canister in the bathroom, then develop in the kitchen with the lights on. I've got temperature and timing down allright, need to work on avoiding water marks and dust when I hang it to dry.
Try getting some Rexton Hyperwet, it's the best wetting agent I've ever found: that'll really help with the spots. If your water's got a lot of lime in it, you can do sort of a final wash with some distilled water before you do the Hyperwet: that can help, too.

As for dust, the shower can work, and if you have forced-air heat, you can throw something over the vent in there, keeps any that may be present from continunuously blowing around to settle on your film.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-02-2008 at 09:37 AM.
12-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote

While they are ''all'' great, these in particular are my favs so far in no particular order....Well done!
That one of titrisol's - the two baby feet - is such a great composition.

12-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
In addition to what Csoars said, one of those dark-bags is a really good way to fit in your tank-loading time: after I'd lost my old one, I waited a few years before I got round to getting another, and in a couple places where darkness was hard to come by, I would have to wait for night and throw a few blankets and such over my tank-loading in the bedroom. It really slowed up the works, particularly cause my sweetie goes to bed earlier than I do.
12-06-2008, 02:40 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Thanks. I can't take credit for the out-of-focusness of that shot though, much as I'd like to. It's a very close crop of another shot, as shown here. The chief glory of film for me is the pointillist effect you get from close cropping like this. It's something that other mediums just can't reproduce.
Sorry, I don’t know what pointillist effect means.

At the Sean Reid site, there was input from David Adamson, one of the most accomplished and respected digital exhibition printers working today. His clients, some of the most famous photographers and artists in the world, include Robert Frank, Annie Liebovitz, etc.
He states regarding grain; (in the Leica M8 review part 4) “… At this stage I run the file through Alien Skin exposure to apply grain and sharpening. I have found that the addition of small amounts of grain makes the image easier to read; it’s akin to adding dithered noise to analog-to-digital sound conversion. The eye, like the ear, locks on to abrupt changes, whether these changes are visual gradients or sound transitions. Noise in both instances smothes out the jaggies and makes the result more palatable to the viewer or listener.”

Here is another cropped image; probably has caused that some would say that it lacks sharpness. But I don’t mind the silhouette effect :
12-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sune -

Love the greys in that shot. The bench, the hair, the bushes, the grass.
12-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Sune -

Love the greys in that shot. The bench, the hair, the bushes, the grass.
Should I have kept it all in B&W ?

I know that the colour focus, is not exactly precise.

BTW, when discussing the qualities of film and grain, we can’t get by Duncan J Murray.

Here is one of his shots with Ilford Delta 3200 :
User Photo Gallery - People

And a thread discussing digital vs. film :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/25236-still-op...n-digital.html
12-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Should I have kept it all in B&W ?

I know that the colour focus, is not exactly precise.
Well, I don't know - the washed out colour gives it a chilly feel. If that's what you wanted to achieve. Maybe it could be a little warmer, given the subject matter.
12-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote

Just a small observation here.

The way you have re-posted these images is from copies in your own site. I am not sure forum members will appreciate you posting these elsewhere (image shack) without credit and implying that they are your images.
12-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Javier, that last set is excellent! Thanks!

Here's a sample - I used ASA800 film, probably Fuji but I can't remember for sure. Electro-X, Tamron 103a.

Here the same lens on the KX (the wonders of adaptall!) and Ilford XP2:
12-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just a small observation here.

The way you have re-posted these images is from copies in your own site. I am not sure forum members will appreciate you posting these elsewhere (image shack) without credit and implying that they are your images.
Ok, All gone. But why send me the PM and then Post what you sent me in the PM in public?