Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2017, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote
Film-wise I use Ilford XP2 B&W and get them developed at my local Boots. ISO 400 seems to be the norm now.

If your camera is a dud, try the local charity shops. I picked up a nice MZ-50 for my son in law in our local Oxfam for £25. Ran a roll of film through it just to check before I gave it to him and I nearly didn't give it :-)

Plenty of traditional manual focus models out there - film is still seen as a dying art by most of the public, so charity shops don't charge much.
In the past year I have been given a ESII with 6 lens, a K1000. Minolta K-700 with three lenses, a Konica and a different screw mount camera with a couple of lenses and a nice 35mm rangefinder. I have kept the K1000 and one lens from the ESII and have found homes for all but the Minolta so far. The zoom lens of the Minolta is missing either a spring or a ball bearing and I think I will keep it until I fix that. Once people know you use film cameras they seem to like to pawn unused cameras onto you. I did forget that I also got a Canon Fb lens and an EOS film camera. The end was that a couple of people got their first film camera, two got cameras to go with their digital one and the rest of the cameras went to those who will use them. And also a Pentax MZ6 that unfortunately has an electrical problem in that the top LCE and the front red light come on when you turn off the camera. Some day I will attempt to repair it to go along with my working 5n and 7.

02-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know you guys are in the U.K. and all, but shooting 400 what do you do when the sun comes out? Use ND filters? Even if you have a top shutter speed of 1/2000, you're limited to f/8 or smaller outdoors. With my cameras I'm limited to 1/500, so I'd be stuck at f/16 or overexposing by several stops. Conversely if I go inside and drop ~8 stops of light, I can do that with 100 speed film with a fast lens and still be hand-holdable. At least with a rangefinder with a normal lens...
02-09-2017, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #33

Original Poster
I didn't think of charity shops but I am picking up an ebya one tomorrow, an ME super. Fingers crossed it's OK. It was the thing I could never afford when I was a teenager so souldn't resist it !
02-09-2017, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I know you guys are in the U.K. and all, but shooting 400 what do you do when the sun comes out? Use ND filters? Even if you have a top shutter speed of 1/2000, you're limited to f/8 or smaller outdoors. With my cameras I'm limited to 1/500, so I'd be stuck at f/16 or overexposing by several stops. Conversely if I go inside and drop ~8 stops of light, I can do that with 100 speed film with a fast lens and still be hand-holdable. At least with a rangefinder with a normal lens...

If your maximum shutter speed is 1/500th second a neutral density filter may be a good idea.
If you are shooting BW you might want to try a yellow-green filter (-1 to 1.5 stops) instead.
IMO it improved my BW photos so much I now use one on my rangefinder camera at all times.

With any type of camera it's advisable to choose film speed depending on lighting conditions.
I keep ISO400 and ISO100 film in my bag, and choose that which allows use of middle apertures.
Also it's often very bright here near the beach, and I try never to shoot around midday.

Chris

02-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To OP... I am shooting both, and like both. Film has a different look that I like. I think about digital and film images differently, and since I began with film I am at ease with that kind of shooting, and find those images take minimal manipulation in processing--and I love the viewfinders! With digital raw, I post process more, and think about the resulting image differently. I am thinking more about how to enhance the memory of what I saw. Film for me is more immediate, but then less flexible, and when I see an image I feel I am seeing the visual memory of it, what I actually saw. I have to plan more with film as there are color balance and stability issues to take into account. I hope that helps.
David
02-10-2017, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #36

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, further to this discussion, please meet my new arrival ! I could only look at the ads in 1980 in AP magazine as I could never afford one back then, a Cosina CT-1 was more my budget, but at last I have one ! :-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N910F  Photo 
02-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Look and feel of the photos.

Enjoyment of the process, especially the pleasure using a "real" camera, which is much nicer than using any digital camera.

Being forced to improve as a photographer.

Film photography GAS is much more enjoyable than digital.

02-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
XP2 is best about 200ISO but ok at 50. But it is very rare to see the Sun here! XP2 passable at 800ISO!
02-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
Thanks for all the replies, further to this discussion, please meet my new arrival ! I could only look at the ads in 1980 in AP magazine as I could never afford one back then, a Cosina CT-1 was more my budget, but at last I have one ! :-)
You won't be disappointed. I still love (and use) mine, which I bought when they first came out. A really fun capable camera.
02-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
You won't be disappointed. I still love (and use) mine, which I bought when they first came out. A really fun capable camera.
I had a P30n after the Cosina and although I love it the build just no way compares to the ME Super, and it now seems so big ! I just found the P30n in the loft and had forgotten how "modern" the P30n was, early signs are that it survived my dumb idea of storing it in the loft but I will see after it aclimatises. It seems I at least had the sense to put it in the original plastic wrapping and box, and also remove the batteries.

Last edited by Frosty66; 02-10-2017 at 05:18 PM.
02-10-2017, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've intended to shoot more film for a few years, but seem to have actually gotten off to a better start doing it just lately. With backward compatibility with old film lenses, Pentax dslrs certainly make a good platform for testing out those old lenses one still wants to shoot film with, too. I won't be able to afford a full-frame digital camera, but full-frame film slrs are affordable! Today I was taking some pictures with Pentax K1000 I got from a broken camera bin at a camera store going out of business. Five dollars. It did have a worn out part in the ISO Shutter Speed knob assembly which I replace (part expense under ten dollars). The camera seems to have been part of a group used in a high school photography class or club and has gotten heavy use, but it is still working. If I eventually switch to shooting only black-and-white film, I might start developing the film myself (something I have done long ago), although getting scans from negatives seems to be cheaper if it is done with developing, so that is a hindrance, unless I get my own decent quality scanner. I have an old enlarger, and I could start doing my own silver prints from negatives again. I'd love to do that...but there aren't any camera stores near here any more where one could go to get those supplies. The chemicals etc. would have to all be ordered.
02-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was happy to find (several years ago) that Freestyle was still in business:

Home | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
02-11-2017, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
I had a P30n after the Cosina and although I love it the build just no way compares to the ME Super, and it now seems so big ! I just found the P30n in the loft and had forgotten how "modern" the P30n was, early signs are that it survived my dumb idea of storing it in the loft but I will see after it aclimatises. It seems I at least had the sense to put it in the original plastic wrapping and box, and also remove the batteries.
I'm surprised to read this as I'd rate the P30N as better than the ME Super in terms of build quality. I like my ME and ME Super, but they always felt rather fragile compared to other Pentax cameras such as the MX or KX, or even some newer models such as the P30s and SFXn.
02-11-2017, 02:14 AM - 2 Likes   #44

To me film is chevvies (or old holdens here), the drive in , rock n roll and cb radios. My first pentax was a program A, with 70-210 lens , i bought a lens the other day and it came with a program A . Bonus, now i am having fun with it again and it still works fine and metering is all good. Now to get the cb out again! This to me is what pentax is about ,more than just a camera but a lifestyle! "madmen" cry your heart out .
02-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm surprised to read this as I'd rate the P30N as better than the ME Super in terms of build quality. I like my ME and ME Super, but they always felt rather fragile compared to other Pentax cameras such as the MX or KX, or even some newer models such as the P30s and SFXn.
Yo may be right aboutthe ME Super/P30n but WHen I bought the Cosina the ME Super was vastly more expensive and I can only imagine that thge P30n was cheaper when it was replaced, or maybe I was seduced by it's more modern looks at the time. But the build quality is fantastic on the ME Super.

I knew I had the P30n in the loft but when I saw the ME super I just wanted both ! LOL I do seem to have both too as the P30n looks like it's in as good a shape as when I left it. But the plastic cover on the wind on lever is missing. The only way to get one seems to be to canibalise another P30 but it doesnt really cause any problems not being there.

---------- Post added 11-02-17 at 13:29 ----------

One observation about the ME Super which I will either get annoyed with or get used to is the buttons for the shutter speed instead of the dial, picking up the P30n again I was immediately reminded how easy it was to change the dial with one finger whilst still looking through the viewfinder. But I guess with the ME the shutter speed was intended not to be manually set and so the Super appears as an afterthought.