Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K1000 collector's question

I have seen several different iterations of the K1000.

1. Metal top and bottom cover with a bump next to the film rewind crank where the battery check button on a KX would be. Back of top cover below shutter cocking lever says "Asahi opt. co. Japan. Prism has the AOCO logo and Asahi markings.

2.Metal top and bottom cover with a bump next to the film rewind crank where the battery check button on a KX would be. Back of top cover below shutter cocking lever says "Asahi opt. co. The word "Japan" is not present. Prism has the AOCO logo and Asahi markings.

3. Metal top and bottom cover with NO bump next to the film rewind crank (a small screw instead). Back of top cover below shutter cocking lever says "Asahi opt. co. The word "Japan" is not present. Prism has the AOCO logo and Asahi markings.

4. Plastic top and bottom covers. No bump or screw next to the rewind crank. No Asahi Opt. Co. marking under the shutter cocking lever. Says "Made in China" on the bottom.

Of course there are also the SE versions of these cameras as well which I haven't sorted out yet.

My understanding is that #1 is the very first of these cameras off the line and that they were made in Japan and they are the most desirable because they are perceived as being the most robust and well made.

#2 is possibly also made in Japan (not sure) and may be as well made as #1. I have no idea of the collectible or usability of this version but I would assume that as far as usability, it is probably just as robust and well made as #1. I would guess that it may be slightly less collectible because it doesn't say "Japan" on it.

#3 as I understand it, is made in Hong Kong and the quality started to decline a bit. This seems to be the general belief anyway. This is the run of the mill K1000 and is a great usable camera but may not be up to the same level of build quality as #1 &2. Collectible value is far lower than 1&2.

#4 Far inferior build quality leaves this camera as the least valuable for either collecting or for use as a shooter although if in good condition, it makes a fine daily-use camera.

Have I missed any major differences in these different variations? Am I pretty close on the assumptions of collectible value and build quality?

One more question, I have Version #2 and it has brown leatherette. I have seen a K1000 SE with black leatherette and I would assume that the K1000 SE was also available with brown leatherette although I can't remember if I've ever seen one. Although mine has the brown leatherette, it is not marked as an SE. I was not aware that the standard model K1000 came in brown. Is this one an anomaly or was this a fairly common or well known configuration?

02-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I have seen a K1000 SE with black leatherette and I would assume that the K1000 SE was also available with brown leatherette although I can't remember if I've ever seen one.
The SE came with at least three different coverings: black (similar to Spotmatic and other K-series bodies), brown, and black diamond pattern (rubberized?). A Google image search should bring up examples of all three. The brown versions are fairly common; at least those I have seen have all been brown. I am not sure, but I believe the black and brown are leather, not leatherette. Note too, that there are both engraved and "sticker" versions of the K1000 SE. Your brown camera may well be a "sticker" SE that has lost its sticker. Does it have a split-image/microprism focus aid?

As for desirability and value for collectors...both, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder. No version of the K1000 is particularly rare, except perhaps the diamond leatherette SE.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-10-2017 at 08:53 AM.
02-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

This thread may be of interest:
K1000 Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
02-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I pretty close on the assumptions of collectible value and build quality?
The K1000 that would be most sought after would be the original MIJ version from 1976, that was bundled with the K55/2. The K1000 manual's cover also shows a K1000 mounted with the K55/2.

The 1976 K1000 was basically just like any other "K" Series body and the s/n was in the same location.

Phil.

02-10-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The K1000 that would be most sought after would be the original MIJ version from 1976, that was bundled with the K55/2. The K1000 manual's cover also shows a K1000 mounted with the K55/2.

The 1976 K1000 was basically just like any other "K" Series body and the s/n was in the same location.

Phil.
Wow. I never knew I had a collector's item. (I bought in 1977 it with the savings from my newspaper route.)
02-10-2017, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Wow. I never knew I had a collector's item. (I bought in 1977 it with the savings from my newspaper route.)
Yep if you also have the original box and paper work, then it would have even more value.

I saved up for my KX by working at Revenue Canada (started in the mail room) after graduating from high school. . . Decent pay and it took me about 6 months (still living at home) to also have enough for the camera body and three lenses. (K28/3.5, K55/1.8 & K135/3.5)

I still have all the kit and everything still works the same as it did over 40 years ago.

Phil.
02-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And not to forget the all Chinese version called Mingca MCk10000

02-10-2017, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
And not to forget the all Chinese version called Mingca MCk10000
And another all black K1000 clone:
Presenta K1000

And a satin chrome K1000 clone:
Kiev USA Penflex K2000

Last edited by Moe49; 02-23-2017 at 02:42 PM.
02-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the great input. I collect but I'm not truly what you would call a collector. I have a dozen or so bodies and probably as many lenses but I don't buy the based on their collector value. I buy them because they strike a certain chord in me personally.

(skip to last paragraph to avoid my boring, self-indulgent collecting history)

Here is an example of each in my collection and why each one was included:

I bought the black MX first. I had a few ME Supers, a black K1000 SE, and an LX that I used for years before I switched to digital back in 2002. I had always lusted after an MX (for all the usual reasons) in those days so when I decided to go back to film, the MX was my first purchase and I love the all black Pentaxes.

Once I had the first one, I started to long for my first 35mm SLR again, the ME Super. While I was shopping on Ebay I found a truly mint ME SE with the stunning brown covering for $23 BIN so I grabbed it. It was in such stunning condition that I sent it off for a full CLA by Eric. I wasn't shopping for an ME but I couldn't pass this one up.

A friend called me out of the blue one day while I was still shopping for an ME Super and asked if I would help him to appraise and sell an old bag of 35mm gear so I had him bring it by. It had a near mint chrome ME Super, a near mint chrome MX, and a handful of lenses including a Super Tak 300mm f4 and a 50mm f 1.7, both mint. A deal was made on the items that I wanted so I now had my first love, the ME Super along with another beautiful MX and a handful of other goodies. Yes, I did give him a fair price for everything btw.

At this point, I began to recognize that I had an addiction and I started to discover many other wonderful Pentaxes that I had never heard of. I started to desire an SV. I like the SV because it's fully mechanical and has a self timer. Being savvy to the fact that most of what goes wrong with the old fully mechanical cameras is very easily fixed by a basic CLA, I grabbed a pair of SVs for about $5 each (+ shipping) and picked the better of the two to send to Eric to work his magic. The better one is pretty nearly mint except that someone tried to clean the mirror and scrubbed most of the silver off. The other one has a pretty wrecked shutter curtain so I'll send both to Eric and have him CLA the good one and take the mirror from the bad one. He can send me the good one back and keep the bad one for parts.

My next target was the original K. I found one with the original zebra lens (S/N for the body and lens match the original warranty card), paperwork, and box. I wanted this one because it gets such high praise. Eric has it now for a full CLA, seal replacement, shutter curtain replacement, and other minor repair. I'll be biting my nails to get this one back.

Now that my bases were covered, I wanted an LX like the one I had back in the 90's. I love that camera so much then. I found one that appeared that it had never been touched by human hands before I took it out of the maroon velvet Pentax pouch that it arrived in. I think I gave $300 for that one.

I found a great deal on a lot of three "broken" cameras (2x ME Supers and a KX) for $29 shipped so I bit. I had been wanting the KX ever since I heard it so favorably compared to the MX. The cameras arrived with a few lenses and I cleaned them up and looked them over to discover that the KX is nearly mint, the only trouble being a dead hot shoe (hopefully just contacts to be cleaned by Eric when I send it off to him). One of the ME Supers was in great shape and functioned flawlessly ans the 50mm f2 was a little sticky in the focus ring with perfectly snappy aperture blades. The focus ring smoothed out with a quick cleaning and the body and lens were sold for $40 BIN and went quickly. So far I made $10 and a free, very nice KX to boot in this deal!

The K1000 was my latest acquisition. A guy offered one on my local CL for $35. I looked it over, a mint (with the exception of a couple very light scratches on the mirror) Chinese model so I grabbed it. I only picked it up because the price was right and I thought that with the unreasonably high prices that some people are willing to pay for a K1000, I might be able to flip it on ebay for a profit. While I was looking at prices, I found the brown one with the bump on the top cover for $75 BIN with a 50mm f2 and free shipping. I thought that was a fair price for what it was and since it is known to be more reliable and rugged, I decided to get it. It looks pretty clean. I'll know for sure what the focusing screen looks like when it arrives in about a week. I guess that now I know I'll be listing the Chinese one with the 50mm f2 (I already have one and an f1.7) once it arrives. If my luck holds, maybe I'll get $75 or more for the Mint Chinese K1000 with 50mm f2, bringing my total cost for the brown Japan body down to $35 essentially.

Wow, sorry to have gone on such a tangent about my collection but I just couldn't help myself. Now back to the K1000. My first one back in the 90s was an SE but I don't know what the differences were between the standard and the SE. Also, the one with a stick on SE badge vs the engraved SE badge, I would think that the sticker would most likely have been on the lower quality Chinese ones. Would Pentax have just stuck a sticker on a K1000 that they equipped with metal covers engraved with the Asahi and AOCO logos? If it turns out that they did and that mine turns out to be an SE that the sticker fell off of, how would I identify it as an SE? Edit: I found the answer to this in the K1000 database thread. It will have the split screen with microprism collar. Only one other camera listed with the same configuration (reported as S/N 7873721 by user lawsonstone in 2009) as mine if it turns out to be an SE. Mine is S/N 7811806. Correction. 7873721 has NO bump on the top plate, mine does. That one is listed as a 4th run. By S/N, mine should be a 4th run also but by a bump and serial number on the top plate, it should be a first run model. Strange. When it arrives, I'll add it to the DB.

Last edited by ctrout; 02-10-2017 at 08:49 PM.
02-10-2017, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would think that the sticker would most likely have been on the lower quality Chinese ones.
Nope...evidence is that those were early production SE. If the sticker is gone, the way to tell and SE is whether you have a split-image/microprism center focus aid.

BTW...be aware that the covering on a camera is not always the original.

Steve
02-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well now I'm super excited for it to arrive. The presence of the "KX bump" and the brown skin has me thinking that the odds are pretty good that it is an early SE. I'll certainly report back when it shows up. Thanks again for your input Steve.
02-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The camera showed up today and it it in wonderful condition, showing that it was both well used and very well loved. Super clean with not a dent on it anywhere but with a bit of paint worn off the film door and hinge, and some minor scratching, particularly on the bottom. The only non-typical damage it has is signs that the film door was stuck shut at some point and there are some scratches and signs of the use of some kind of small tool to try to release the latch at the side of the film door rather than fishing for the release through the hole for the rewind crank.

Now for the great news, it appears to be an early SE that had only an SE sticker which is long gone. It DOES have the split screen focus with microprism collar! I've already registered it in the database. Now it appears that there is a discrepancy in the PDF files that list these cameras out by serial number and gen 1-4. By the info in that document, this should be a gen 4 Chinese body with plastic covers and no "KX bump" but the covers on this one are metal with the bump so I'm calling it an early SE gen 1. The only info that is unavailable is the country of assembly or manufacture. With the bump, but without "Japan" next to the "ASAHI OPT. CO." stamp below the shutter cocking lever on the back of the camera, Is it more likely that this one was made in Japan or assembled/made in Hong Kong?

BTW, the sticker on the bottom and inside where the film cartridge goes show that this camera was originally purchased in my home town of Monroe, Michigan at the only camera shop we had there when I was growing up, Maedel Cameras on Front Street. They were in business for over 50 years there and closed their doors in 2004, 9 years after the founder passed away.

Not sure why my photos get flipped upside down when I upload them here but here are the pictures I just took of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by ctrout; 02-13-2017 at 09:08 PM.
02-14-2017, 04:33 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
....the way to tell and SE is whether you have a split-image/microprism center focus aid.

Steve
Unfortunately that isn't always true. My first K1000 which was bought new came with the split-image focus aid and it was not an SE.
02-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for all of the great input. I collect but I'm not truly what you would call a collector. I have a dozen or so bodies and probably as many lenses but I don't buy the based on their collector value. I buy them because they strike a certain chord in me personally.

(skip to last paragraph to avoid my boring, self-indulgent collecting history)

Here is an example of each in my collection and why each one was included:

I bought the black MX first. I had a few ME Supers, a black K1000 SE, and an LX that I used for years before I switched to digital back in 2002. I had always lusted after an MX (for all the usual reasons) in those days so when I decided to go back to film, the MX was my first purchase and I love the all black Pentaxes.

Once I had the first one, I started to long for my first 35mm SLR again, the ME Super. While I was shopping on Ebay I found a truly mint ME SE with the stunning brown covering for $23 BIN so I grabbed it. It was in such stunning condition that I sent it off for a full CLA by Eric. I wasn't shopping for an ME but I couldn't pass this one up.

A friend called me out of the blue one day while I was still shopping for an ME Super and asked if I would help him to appraise and sell an old bag of 35mm gear so I had him bring it by. It had a near mint chrome ME Super, a near mint chrome MX, and a handful of lenses including a Super Tak 300mm f4 and a 50mm f 1.7, both mint. A deal was made on the items that I wanted so I now had my first love, the ME Super along with another beautiful MX and a handful of other goodies. Yes, I did give him a fair price for everything btw.

At this point, I began to recognize that I had an addiction and I started to discover many other wonderful Pentaxes that I had never heard of. I started to desire an SV. I like the SV because it's fully mechanical and has a self timer. Being savvy to the fact that most of what goes wrong with the old fully mechanical cameras is very easily fixed by a basic CLA, I grabbed a pair of SVs for about $5 each (+ shipping) and picked the better of the two to send to Eric to work his magic. The better one is pretty nearly mint except that someone tried to clean the mirror and scrubbed most of the silver off. The other one has a pretty wrecked shutter curtain so I'll send both to Eric and have him CLA the good one and take the mirror from the bad one. He can send me the good one back and keep the bad one for parts.

My next target was the original K. I found one with the original zebra lens (S/N for the body and lens match the original warranty card), paperwork, and box. I wanted this one because it gets such high praise. Eric has it now for a full CLA, seal replacement, shutter curtain replacement, and other minor repair. I'll be biting my nails to get this one back.

Now that my bases were covered, I wanted an LX like the one I had back in the 90's. I love that camera so much then. I found one that appeared that it had never been touched by human hands before I took it out of the maroon velvet Pentax pouch that it arrived in. I think I gave $300 for that one.

I found a great deal on a lot of three "broken" cameras (2x ME Supers and a KX) for $29 shipped so I bit. I had been wanting the KX ever since I heard it so favorably compared to the MX. The cameras arrived with a few lenses and I cleaned them up and looked them over to discover that the KX is nearly mint, the only trouble being a dead hot shoe (hopefully just contacts to be cleaned by Eric when I send it off to him). One of the ME Supers was in great shape and functioned flawlessly ans the 50mm f2 was a little sticky in the focus ring with perfectly snappy aperture blades. The focus ring smoothed out with a quick cleaning and the body and lens were sold for $40 BIN and went quickly. So far I made $10 and a free, very nice KX to boot in this deal!

The K1000 was my latest acquisition. A guy offered one on my local CL for $35. I looked it over, a mint (with the exception of a couple very light scratches on the mirror) Chinese model so I grabbed it. I only picked it up because the price was right and I thought that with the unreasonably high prices that some people are willing to pay for a K1000, I might be able to flip it on ebay for a profit. While I was looking at prices, I found the brown one with the bump on the top cover for $75 BIN with a 50mm f2 and free shipping. I thought that was a fair price for what it was and since it is known to be more reliable and rugged, I decided to get it. It looks pretty clean. I'll know for sure what the focusing screen looks like when it arrives in about a week. I guess that now I know I'll be listing the Chinese one with the 50mm f2 (I already have one and an f1.7) once it arrives. If my luck holds, maybe I'll get $75 or more for the Mint Chinese K1000 with 50mm f2, bringing my total cost for the brown Japan body down to $35 essentially.

Wow, sorry to have gone on such a tangent about my collection but I just couldn't help myself. Now back to the K1000. My first one back in the 90s was an SE but I don't know what the differences were between the standard and the SE. Also, the one with a stick on SE badge vs the engraved SE badge, I would think that the sticker would most likely have been on the lower quality Chinese ones. Would Pentax have just stuck a sticker on a K1000 that they equipped with metal covers engraved with the Asahi and AOCO logos? If it turns out that they did and that mine turns out to be an SE that the sticker fell off of, how would I identify it as an SE? Edit: I found the answer to this in the K1000 database thread. It will have the split screen with microprism collar. Only one other camera listed with the same configuration (reported as S/N 7873721 by user lawsonstone in 2009) as mine if it turns out to be an SE. Mine is S/N 7811806. Correction. 7873721 has NO bump on the top plate, mine does. That one is listed as a 4th run. By S/N, mine should be a 4th run also but by a bump and serial number on the top plate, it should be a first run model. Strange. When it arrives, I'll add it to the DB.
Take more of the anti Coll medication!
02-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Unfortunately that isn't always true. My first K1000 which was bought new came with the split-image focus aid and it was not an SE.
So much for conventional wisdom, eh?

In theory, there were some made with a split image, at least the user manual says so.* Is yours a simple split-image or combo split-image with microprism collar?

Steve

* All the K-series cameras had both microprism and split-image screens in the user manual specifications. It has been my understanding that the K1000 SE is the only K-series body with combined split-image with microprism collar. FWIW, Paul's is the first non-SE I have heard of with a split-image finder, despite the user manual spec.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-14-2017 at 10:00 AM.