Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Refconverter?

I'm thinking of getting a refconverter so that I can use my Pentax 35mm cameras mounted to my wheelchair mount.
Anyone here use these much? Are they difficult to see through?
I'm thinking of getting the refconverter-A and the refconverter 645. Will the refconverter-A work with a ZX-5N?

02-11-2017, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't answer your question about the ZX-5N, Colton, but I can say that I found the refconverter-A to be a joy to use in a number of situations. Optically, it's very good (I suspect it's much better than the cheap ones you'll find on eBay, but I'm guessing there) and of course it displays the image the correct way, unlike the earlier model that showed the image swapped L-R. I didn't find it difficult to see through, as there's some eye relief. The only reason I stopped using mine was the advent of the FLUcard on my K-3 and the flippy screen on my K-1. The LX, of course, doesn't need it if you have one the equivalent viewfinders.
02-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I can't answer your question about the ZX-5N, Colton, but I can say that I found the refconverter-A to be a joy to use in a number of situations. Optically, it's very good (I suspect it's much better than the cheap ones you'll find on eBay, but I'm guessing there) and of course it displays the image the correct way, unlike the earlier model that showed the image swapped L-R. I didn't find it difficult to see through, as there's some eye relief. The only reason I stopped using mine was the advent of the FLUcard on my K-3 and the flippy screen on my K-1. The LX, of course, doesn't need it if you have one the equivalent viewfinders.
Thanks Rob
02-11-2017, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Colton: The Refconverter A for K-mount cameras came with a screw-in eyecup - if you can find one - that might increase its utility in your ergonomic circumstances. KEH has an Eyecup. I use one with my SuperPROGRAM and MZ-S from time to time, and even used it on my K-3 once. Very helpful for long lens tripod shots, which I do seated.

The Olympus Vari-Magni OM also works. It is a bit more sophisticated (I used one for a while) and often less expensive NOS/NIB than a used Pentax A.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-11-2017 at 05:25 PM.
02-11-2017, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #5

There are a couple of Refconverter As listed on KEH. EX and BGN. Both are reasonably priced.
02-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Colton: The Refconverter A for K-mount cameras came with a screw-in eyecup - if you can find one - that might increase its utility in your ergonomic circumstances. KEH has an Eyecup. I use one with my SuperPROGRAM and MZ-S from time to time, and even used it on my K-3 once. Very helpful for long lens tripod shots, which I do seated.

The Olympus Vari-Magni OM also works. It is a bit more sophisticated (I used one for a while) and often less expensive NOS/NIB than a used Pentax A.
Does the Olympus Vari-Magni fit Pentax finders?
02-12-2017, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

The Olympus Vari-Magni Finder in this review is mine and I use it on my K-5 and K-7. I haven't tried it on my other cameras.

Olympus VariMagni Finder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

02-12-2017, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Does the Olympus Vari-Magni fit Pentax finders?
The M frames, yes. A tiny bit loose, but not meaningful.
02-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered the Refconverter 645, and if that works for me I'll probably get the Refconverter-A .
02-20-2017, 01:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There is a Pentax Ref Converter in this list of Pentax lenses on Gumtree in Australia: Pentax/Takuma camera lenses | Miscellaneous Goods | Gumtree Australia Pine Rivers Area - Joyner | 1138163860