Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It shouldn't be a question of "why" but "why NOT"

08-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have been thinking of getting an old Canon, not to mount Takumars on, not necessarily, but for all those buttery FD lenses out there...

I can say that around here, can't I, they're film cameras after all... I mean, those poor FD lenses, unlike the Takumars, are orphans now... I hear the loose ones get rounded up twice a year, and if there's no takers... *shudder* oh you don't want to know. So it would be purely for humane reasons.... I'm a member of our local LHS (Lens Humane Societ)...
08-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Exactly...all those FD and MD bodies, lenses, and accessories are just sitting around doing nothing. Why not pick up some older L's and Rokkors? They're obviously not going up in price...
08-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #19

I've actually "saved" a full Minolta kit composed of a couple of SRT101s and the following Rokkor lenses - 21mm, 35mm, 45mm, 50mm, 55mm, 55mm macro, 58mm, 85mm, 100mm, 135mm. Now that some Canon users have found a way to adapt these Rokkors to EOS the prices are starting to reach stratospheric levels.

On that auction site, the 58mm F1.2 and the 85mm F1.7 are selling in the range of 300-600 USD.

I've also slowly acquired a full Nikon kit with old manual focus Nikkor lenses, I guess out of habit. Got the 24mm, 50mm, 55mm macro, 85mm, 105mm and 135mm. I usually manage to find pretty good deals here in the Philippines by visiting old photo studios and asking if they have old stuff they want to dispose of.

After using these lenses, I can honestly say that the Takumars and the K mount lenses are the best manual focus lenses that I have used. The buttery focusing is not a myth.

The Canon FD/FL lenses and the Olympus line never really intrigued me.

Last edited by jake.astig; 08-12-2008 at 03:18 PM.
08-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I have been thinking of getting an old Canon, not to mount Takumars on, not necessarily, but for all those buttery FD lenses out there...

I can say that around here, can't I, they're film cameras after all... I mean, those poor FD lenses, unlike the Takumars, are orphans now... I hear the loose ones get rounded up twice a year, and if there's no takers... *shudder* oh you don't want to know. So it would be purely for humane reasons.... I'm a member of our local LHS (Lens Humane Societ)...
I have an AE-1 with some cool lenses...While my collection is small, I feel I have what I need for it. 28 F/2.0, 50 F/1.8 and 135 F/2.8 that I have not even used. I am looking for a 35 F/1.8 right now....

As far as comparing it to the Pentax, it is big..perhaps bigger than a K1000...All in all I prefer my ME-SUPER over it...Image quality, appears to be the same...

Nesster, go for it.
08-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Make that a small block V-8 into an MG Midget, and I'm with you. Just my style germar.... just my style.

woof!
you have it all wrong, 440 six pack in a triumph TR4A.

but that is off topic.

As someone said, why bother with a canon camera at all, unless it is the only film body you have. I would be better off with the K mount adaptor and any selection from KX ricoh XR2s or PZ-1.

the only good thing about the pentax reverse bayonette mount is that you could have a fixed pin for maximum apature, as it was only the locking collar that rotated not the lens, when you mount. Therefore you can also, I assume, have automatic apature and shutter priority metering.

Its really my inherent lazyness that keeps me away from M42 lenses, I just like automatic apature, so I get K mounts.
08-13-2008, 02:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Its really my inherent lazyness that keeps me away from M42 lenses, I just like automatic apature, so I get K mounts.

I am told: SPF and ES
Never tried either of them but they are open aperture reading screw mount cameras

Fuji had a couple too though these are a bit more specialized, mount wise... I've hankered for the ST705 at times.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
As far as comparing it to the Pentax, it is big..perhaps bigger than a K1000...All in all I prefer my ME-SUPER over it...Image quality, appears to be the same...
Yes those are large cameras, and do not really have an advantage over Pentax. My daughter really liked her uncle's AL though, that's the one with the focus confirmation light. Your kit is approximately what I'd consider perfect, and it's a different aesthetic and aim: larger stuff, faster aperture. Pentax (and Olympus, once they got their OM together) were more about elegance and portability.

I do have a Nikon EM around, I've had the thought of sometime getting into the pre AI Nikons too. There is something different about the lenses. But again, probably no real advantage relative to Pentax these days.

Minoltas I've always heard good things about, but I've never been tempted to become a Minoltean. When I moved to full frame SLR back in '85 Olympus was the natural choice from the Pen FT. The decision back then was interesting: I ruled out Nikon and Canon on the grounds that they were higher priced due to the pro cachet. I also ruled out Pentax because I considered it too amateur. Which left Minolta and Oly. The Minolta view finder was better... but my heart was with Oly.

Perhaps something like Fuji X mount or Konica would make a good adopted brother for the Pentaxes.

08-13-2008, 02:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you have it all wrong, 440 six pack in a triumph TR4A.
Hayabusa engine on a scooter! (there was a vid of it somewhere on the Tube)
08-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you can use those in the Sony digital SLRs

QuoteOriginally posted by jake.astig Quote
I've actually "saved" a full Minolta kit composed of a couple of SRT101s and the following Rokkor lenses - 21mm, 35mm, 45mm, 50mm, 55mm, 55mm macro, 58mm, 85mm, 100mm, 135mm. Now that some Canon users have found a way to adapt these Rokkors to EOS the prices are starting to reach stratospheric levels.

On that auction site, the 58mm F1.2 and the 85mm F1.7 are selling in the range of 300-600 USD.

I've also slowly acquired a full Nikon kit with old manual focus Nikkor lenses, I guess out of habit. Got the 24mm, 50mm, 55mm macro, 85mm, 105mm and 135mm. I usually manage to find pretty good deals here in the Philippines by visiting old photo studios and asking if they have old stuff they want to dispose of.

After using these lenses, I can honestly say that the Takumars and the K mount lenses are the best manual focus lenses that I have used. The buttery focusing is not a myth.

The Canon FD/FL lenses and the Olympus line never really intrigued me.
08-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

My only interest would be one of nostalgia, since a Canon AE-1 was my first SLR, a high school graduation present from my parents, given almost a year early so I could be practiced up on how to use it when I went into the Navy just a few days after graduation. I only had the 50/1.8, a 28/something and later on got some kind of Vivitar zoom. I still have them all, plus the Vivitar 2000 flash I got. The camera and lenses are back home in Tennessee but I have the flash here with me in Japan. Still works just fine, 25 years later.

Nostalgia alone isn't enough to get me interested in branching out my Gear Acquisition Syndrome and LBA to include the Canon/FD stuff, though.
08-13-2008, 05:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My only interest would be one of nostalgia, since a Canon AE-1 was my first SLR, a high school graduation present from my parents, given almost a year early so I could be practiced up on how to use it when I went into the Navy just a few days after graduation. I only had the 50/1.8, a 28/something and later on got some kind of Vivitar zoom. I still have them all, plus the Vivitar 2000 flash I got. The camera and lenses are back home in Tennessee but I have the flash here with me in Japan. Still works just fine, 25 years later.

Nostalgia alone isn't enough to get me interested in branching out my Gear Acquisition Syndrome and LBA to include the Canon/FD stuff, though.

At this point in time your background has become very confusing. You are in Japan, yet you mention Tennessee. I take it you are of US "origin"?
08-13-2008, 05:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
At this point in time your background has become very confusing. You are in Japan, yet you mention Tennessee. I take it you are of US "origin"?
Didn't you ever think my English was really good for a Japanese guy? I am indeed an American. But I've spent well over half my life (so far) in Japan.
08-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Didn't you ever think my English was really good for a Japanese guy? I am indeed an American. But I've spent well over half my life (so far) in Japan.
Most foreigners I talk to think English is my first language. The British accent does confuse them at first, so it's only fair, I suppose.

also

I know plenty of Chinese people who type better than native Americans. (no I don't mean Tomahawk or Cherokee)
08-13-2008, 06:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I think you can use those in the Sony digital SLRs

Uhm no, you can't. As far as I've read, it's impossible to mount an MD lens to an Alpha mount.
08-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #30
Banned

I imagine you first visited japan while in the navy but what made you want to live in japan?