Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
How's that 40/2.8?
While it is compact and may take some getting used to, it will lack nothing in terms of capturing all the quality that you can.

02-28-2017, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My 40/2.8 Pancake also "lives" on my MX, it's the perfect combination... image quality, compactness, and what for me is the sweet spot focal length for general purpose shooting.
02-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
may take some getting used to
I find when using this lens that instead of closing my fingers down perpendicular to the light path, which often placed my fingers in the wrong place on the barrel, I move my fingers onto the focusing ring from the front of the lens sort of parallel with the light path. With other lenses this would possibly lead to touching the lens element but this lens has a very small front element and this is less likely but working this way allows you to land on the very narrow focus ring right on the front edge of the barrel.
Then 'getting used to' it is a case of awareness and muscle memory.
03-17-2017, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I considered taking the 40/2.8 M as my film lens on my MX when I went to Australia with my family a few weeks ago, but for various reasons opted for the FA50/1.4 (I wanted to try it out on a K-1, which I did get the chance to do). I was glad I chose the faster lens; situations were such that the 40/2.8 simply would not have coped in many of the situations I often found myself shooting film in. It just - only just - fits into the pocket of my Tilley travel vest in this configuration.

On the other hand, this time last year the trip took a different form; I was on my own, the weather was bright and sunny, most of the shooting was outdoors and impromptu, and the 40/2.8 thrived on my ME (which makes for the most compact Pentax "full-frame" package of all).

Next year I will not have either masses of new Limited lenses to try out or family holiday shots from which passable results MUST be guaranteed before we leave a place; that trip will be all-film (with my phonecam as backup), probably even all-B&W, and the MX will likely get the nod again. I am thinking in terms of the Tokina 17/3.5, the SMC-M 40/2.8 and maybe even the SMC-M 135/3.5 for a wide-middle-long trio, leaving some space in the camera bag for things I might find while I am away.

If all-manual all the time is your thing, that black MX with the unobtrusive 40/2.8 is the ideal street photography camera. Sure, the ME lets you set an acceptable DOF, focus quickly and take the shot before a fleeting opportunity vanishes. But if the circumstances are right, the ability to walk up to compliant or inanimate subjects, meter off them at close range and preserve the exposure settings as you step back to recompose and shoot is a godsend.

03-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm still on the lookout for a 40/2.8
03-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The MX is a recent acquisition of mine -- I found my copy at Goodwill's auction site and picked it up for cheap. Fortunately it's in good shape and everything works as it should. This is my first MX but not my first M-series or compact Pentax. I have mixed feelings about these compact Pentaxes. I actually prefer the larger bodies, like the KX (one of my favorites) or K2. I'm thinking that if I can locate a Winder for it, that will help alleviate the scrunched up feeling I get with my right hand.

I just finished running my first roll of film through my MX -- Tri-X. The photos came out properly exposed. I do enjoy using it despite its diminutive size. It has a big, bright, clear viewfinder that makes composition and focusing a breeze. And having different colored LEDs instead of a needle or two is really a nice feature, especially when using the camera at dawn or dusk or at night. It was a very well thought-out system. I want to find either an SE or SG focusing screen for it. I prefer plain matte screens because I'm often using telephotos that are a bit on the slow side -- f/5.6 or slower. I also do a fair amount of macro work where, because of extensions, the microprism or split image are often useless.

Too bad the motor drive is so scarce, but I'll settle for a Winder one of these days soon.
03-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Part of me wishes there had been a needle variant for use in bright sunlight, but perhaps the LEDs in mine are dying or it is time for a battery change. Either way, as soon as this current film is done it's CLA time.

Trouble is, a simple needle would have competed for space with the shutter speed indicator, probably forcing the use of a match-needle system like the KX or the Ricoh XR1.

03-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Part of me wishes there had been a needle variant for use in bright sunlight, but perhaps the LEDs in mine are dying or it is time for a battery change. Either way, as soon as this current film is done it's CLA time.

Trouble is, a simple needle would have competed for space with the shutter speed indicator, probably forcing the use of a match-needle system like the KX or the Ricoh XR1.
From my understanding, when the battery is about to die, it just dies, there's no fading/flicker or what not ( lol, which kind of sucks when you're looking for some kind of battery indicator to get ready to replace them, for now I just keep spares in my bag even though it'll probably be a year or more before I need to).

There's always the KX which shares most the same features, but has a match needle meter, however one pitfall is that the winding lever needs to be out a little bit in order for the meter to be turned on. (MX will turn it on with the winding lever out, but doesn't have to be, since a half press of the shutter will engage it while the winding level is pushed in).
03-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I find the K series/Spotmatic body slightly too bulky, the MX just right. Best M42 in my stable should be the almost MX sized Fujica ST 705, but the lenses to allow open aperture metering on those have extensively been ruined by DSLR or Spotmatic shooters filing the aperture coupling tabs down, the survivors are insanely expensive, and the tripod bushing is stupidly far off centre, so I cannot use a mini table top rig when travelling; what were Fuji thinking?

The S1a is just smaller enough from bottom to top plate that I find it easier than a Spotmatic to hold, but the lack of a built in meter tells against it sometimes. The clip on meter it came with is currently in repair. I am awaiting the chance to try that combination out and see how well it works. My other problem is its current load-out of TMax 400; until the snow goes away, outdoor photography with it is a somewhat drab and dreary proposition where I am.
03-19-2017, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I find the K series/Spotmatic body slightly too bulky, the MX just right. Best M42 in my stable should be the almost MX sized Fujica ST 705, but the lenses to allow open aperture metering on those have extensively been ruined by DSLR or Spotmatic shooters filing the aperture coupling tabs down, the survivors are insanely expensive, and the tripod bushing is stupidly far off centre, so I cannot use a mini table top rig when travelling; what were Fuji thinking?

The S1a is just smaller enough from bottom to top plate that I find it easier than a Spotmatic to hold, but the lack of a built in meter tells against it sometimes. The clip on meter it came with is currently in repair. I am awaiting the chance to try that combination out and see how well it works. My other problem is its current load-out of TMax 400; until the snow goes away, outdoor photography with it is a somewhat drab and dreary proposition where I am.

03-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Just heard from Eric. My new to me MX is repaired and about to be returned. Apparently a previous someone had tried to do a 'repair' and had bent a couple of levers. I thought it only needed a CLA but no the internals were 'pretty bad'.
Even with fresh batteries the leds were under exposing by a stop or two. 'Good for a long time, is the prognosis.
I had paid a lowish price for it knowing it wasn't pristine and knowing I would be sending it off. Seems to be a good result bringing a seriously sick body back to life rather than spending the fee on a CLA to perhaps learn it was in perfect shape and therefore a needless expense.
03-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Just heard from Eric. My new to me MX is repaired and about to be returned. Apparently a previous someone had tried to do a 'repair' and had bent a couple of levers. I thought it only needed a CLA but no the internals were 'pretty bad'.
Even with fresh batteries the leds were under exposing by a stop or two. 'Good for a long time, is the prognosis.
I had paid a lowish price for it knowing it wasn't pristine and knowing I would be sending it off. Seems to be a good result bringing a seriously sick body back to life rather than spending the fee on a CLA to perhaps learn it was in perfect shape and therefore a needless expense.
Nice The one I have was serviced by him back in November by the previous owner, and on that invoice it does say he checks and calibrates the meter. If mine is any indication, yours should be spot-on when you get it back for quite some time.
03-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Glad to hear. Will post photos when it gets back. I had a black ME Super done as well. Can't wait.
03-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Glad to hear. Will post photos when it gets back. I had a black ME Super done as well. Can't wait.
:P The Mechanical and Electronic sisters.
04-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Still waiting for the post from US to OZ - no parcel yet and its been 4.5 weeks now. Surely the post doesn't take this long...?