Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A good article which summarises all the recent developments (no pun intended) of the last few years.

I'm glad to be part of the film resurgence and to see innovative people and companies allow me to continue to use such beautiful film gear.

I didn't know about Bergger producing film in France. Apparently they released a new film recently, which is strange because according to their website they only have one product (B&W 400).
interesting, their fine art papers are very nice, the Cot 320 is particularly good for Platinum prints (not inexpensive but then platinum prints are not inexpensive)

02-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

The most pressing issue for film's longevity is the training of another generation to actually manufacture it, cost, availability and popularity aside.
02-24-2017, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #33
Forum Member

Buy a fine old film camera now

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
For us a nice opportunity to dive in old times - if we own old cameras.
Hey -- you don't need to own an old camera. This is an ideal time to buy one. Lots of barely used fine film cameras are cheaply available.

I had a nice ZX-5n but could not resist upgrading to a like new PZ-1p for $50. Given the price of film and processing it makes little sense not to use a fine older camera. For digital Pentax users with a full frame "K mount" lens, the opportunity to shoot film with a fine camera has never been better.

Processing of a 35mm 36 frame roll is $11 bucks for development and scanning. (+postage)

Digital and Film ... what a deal.
02-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
The most pressing issue for film's longevity is the training of another generation to actually manufacture it, cost, availability and popularity aside.
With the number of people unemployed at the moment (especially young people), I don't think finding people to learn and do the job would be a problem. There are far, far worse jobs out there. Of course, that needs to be done before knowledge is lost.

02-25-2017, 04:06 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Danaher Dempsey Quote
Hey -- you don't need to own an old camera. This is an ideal time to buy one. Lots of barely used fine film cameras are cheaply available.

I had a nice ZX-5n but could not resist upgrading to a like new PZ-1p for $50. Given the price of film and processing it makes little sense not to use a fine older camera. For digital Pentax users with a full frame "K mount" lens, the opportunity to shoot film with a fine camera has never been better.

Processing of a 35mm 36 frame roll is $11 bucks for development and scanning. (+postage)

Digital and Film ... what a deal.
You’re surely right. We’ll find good offers on film cameras.

I can use two film cameras. The Pentax ME Super - my first SLR - and my wife’s Canon EOS 100 bought about 1993. Latter is a very good allrounder that was a bit cheaper competitor to the Pentax Z-1. The camera has a very good build-in GN12-17 flash. At the time this camera seemed to be the better choice for my wife. It was bundled with a good Canon silent ultrasonic 28-80mm lens.

So for me no need for another film camera. Recently I discovered that the canon was loaded with film (Kodak 200) that I forgot at least the last twelve years! Now took the last four images. I’m very curious if they are usable or spoiled.

Think I’ll bring the film to the development service next week and then scan the images with my slide and film scanner. I’m very curious about the images - can’t remember the content!