Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
ZX-60 won't rewind film

I ended up with a ZX-60, but it won't rewind the film. This happened a little while ago, so I may be unclear on what it did exactly, but I believe the motor ran to rewind it, but it didn't actually do anything. I tried also pushing the rewind button, but this had the same result. I eventually had to open it in the dark and wind the film into the canister manually.

Is this a common affliction (I couldn't find anything on it). Would it be an easy repair? (I haven't tried to open it up yet.) I'm not particularly invested in this camera, but if it were an easy fix I would probably try it.

02-15-2017, 01:18 AM   #2

Does the rewind motor keep running?

The ZX/MZ series tended to use plastic gears on the motors which have a tendency to crack or split leaving the mechanisms stuck in various states of action. The most common is the gear failing on the mirror motor leaving the mirror locked up. The repair from Pentax was to replace the motor with a metal gear but the supply of parts appears to have dried up in the last 3 years or so. If it uses the same gear as the mirror motor there is a company in Germany that sells metal gears with the proper specifications. You'll have to search through the various threads on the ZX/MX problems to find the link to the company as I don't have it bookmarked.
02-15-2017, 01:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

To be honest, this failure could be down to a fault in several places and may be completely unrelated to gears. The MZ-60 was the cheapest, crappiest film SLR that Pentax ever made, so I'd recommend just binning it and looking for something better, unless you're happy to manually rewind in the dark.
02-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does the rewind motor keep running?
I don't recall.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The MZ-60 was the cheapest, crappiest film SLR that Pentax ever made, so I'd recommend just binning it and looking for something better, unless you're happy to manually rewind in the dark.
Yeah, that was pretty obvious, and the reason why I am not so invested in it. But a camera's a camera, so maybe I'll try and open it up.

02-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #5

Unless the camera has some sentimental value for you I don't think it's worth paying someone to repair it.

In my opinion you have nothing to lose by attempting a DIY repair.