10-02-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing

12-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello All - has anyone ever replaced the leatherette (?) on the front of an Asahiflex? I'm fortunate enough to have picked up an Asahiflex I, non-operational (but may consider sending to Eric for attention), and a little bit rough around the edges.

I was thinking of buying a spare of a 'newer' version - there are a few on eBay cheap-ish from Japan - and transferring the covering over, but worry with whatever I buy, the covers will be so old and brittle they'll fall to pieces trying to move them anyway.

Or do i just leave as-is and call it patina, knowing how rare these are?
12-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Hello All - has anyone ever replaced the leatherette (?) on the front of an Asahiflex? I'm fortunate enough to have picked up an Asahiflex I, non-operational (but may consider sending to Eric for attention), and a little bit rough around the edges.

I was thinking of buying a spare of a 'newer' version - there are a few on eBay cheap-ish from Japan - and transferring the covering over, but worry with whatever I buy, the covers will be so old and brittle they'll fall to pieces trying to move them anyway.

Unless the covering is beyond repair, it is probably better to leave it as is. Remember, the camera can only be original once. If it does need replacing, looking for a modern lookalike material will probably a lot easier. And the camera will then be as good as new.
12-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just FYI, the texture of the leatherette in the first two versions is a bit different from that in newer models

12-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Just FYI, the texture of the leatherette in the first two versions is a bit different from that in newer models
Thanks - I was aware of that but getting a second model I to replace the damaged covering is a long shot :-)
12-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or you could paint it black, replace the leatherette with something new, and throw it up on your favorite auction site as an Asahiflex SE dealer edition...
OK, I realize that's not even funny...

I'd consider how bad it really is and what you plan on doing with the camera.

If the leatherette is really bad, and you want to shoot with it, with working history as your goal rather than perfect preservation, the find something as close as you can get to the original and recover it.
It won't do the camera any good to be out in the wild without protection from greasy fingers and dust.

If it's just going to be on a shelf looking cool, like someone else said, it's only original once.

And I can't imagine you'd have much luck finding a donor body that has usable leatherette that would survive a transplant (and then what do you do with that one?)

That decision may come down to what's going on with it mechanically. If it doesn't work and it can't be fixed, how does that change things? Does the leatherette have to come off for a repair?

Good luck, and we'll want to see the results...

-Eric
12-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks - I was aware of that but getting a second model I to replace the damaged covering is a long shot :-)
Eric can fix those old Asahiflexes but he doesn't offer replacement of shutter curtains anymore. Only some 7600 bodies were made, only for sale in Japan in the short period May 1952 to October 1953. Eric had my Asahiflex I but he was unable to get the shutter timing correct. But otherwise it works and looks great, but I cannot use it.

Post some pictures of your camera.
12-28-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Or you could paint it black, replace the leatherette with something new, and throw it up on your favorite auction site as an Asahiflex SE dealer edition...
OK, I realize that's not even funny...

I'd consider how bad it really is and what you plan on doing with the camera.

If the leatherette is really bad, and you want to shoot with it, with working history as your goal rather than perfect preservation, the find something as close as you can get to the original and recover it.
It won't do the camera any good to be out in the wild without protection from greasy fingers and dust.

If it's just going to be on a shelf looking cool, like someone else said, it's only original once.

And I can't imagine you'd have much luck finding a donor body that has usable leatherette that would survive a transplant (and then what do you do with that one?)

That decision may come down to what's going on with it mechanically. If it doesn't work and it can't be fixed, how does that change things? Does the leatherette have to come off for a repair?

Good luck, and we'll want to see the results...

-Eric
It'll likely be shelf queen - looks like it needs work that may not even be possible any more, but given the rarity I'm still happy to have snagged it. I have newer Asahiflex models that do work, so if I have the hankering to shoot, I have options.

Thanks!

---------- Post added 12-28-19 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Eric can fix those old Asahiflexes but he doesn't offer replacement of shutter curtains anymore. Only some 7600 bodies were made, only for sale in Japan in the short period May 1952 to October 1953. Eric had my Asahiflex I but he was unable to get the shutter timing correct. But otherwise it works and looks great, but I cannot use it.

Post some pictures of your camera.
I'll post some pics when I get a moment of my whole collection - I thought holidays were meant to be quiet, but It's not working out that way right now...

Thanks

12-29-2019, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are some pictures - as they said in Chernobyl 'Not great, not terrible'

She needs a further good clean, but is already way better than when she arrived. I'm just glad to finally have one in my collection.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11 Pro  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11 Pro  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11 Pro  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11 Pro  Photo 
12-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nice addition. congrats
12-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
very nice addition. congrats
Thank you!
07-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today I unwrapt this weird looking Asahiflex.

Is it a I? Or a late Ia, or mabe a mix of I and IIb?

The top plate is all clear Asahiflex I: Serial number is within the range, the dial is also spot-on a I (tale tale is the 1/20th speed, later had 1/25). Pressing the shutter it also works like the Asahiflex I, i.e. the mirror goes up when pressing the button down, and returns when you release the button.

The Asahiflex I has one single flash teminal but this camera has two terminals of the modern type found on the IIb (or some sources mentions a late version of the Ib).

Looking on the bottom of the camera, the Asahiflex I has the tripod socket placed off center, this camera has it placed dead center.

The rewind lever on the bottom plate, only have an arrow and the letter R, with an arrow pointing toward the front of the camera. Identical to the Asahiflex I. Vs other models have a two-way arrow with the letters R and A, or just the arrow with R but toward the back side of the camera.
(from top to bottom in the last photo: Asahiflex I, Asahiflex I??, Asahiflex IIb)

Any one with any ideas?

Anyone with some good ideas of what this could be?
(Yeg
Attached Images

08-11-2020, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Last week, I finally managed to get a complete kit of the "Asahi Flash-gun", "Highest Class for Asahi-flex".

I don't know much about this flash like price and when it was introduced nor where it was sold. Maybe someone have more info to add?

The pictures below shows the whole kit, and I quote from the box (including spelling and grammar mistakes..)
  • ONE HARD CHROME PLATED REFRECTOR
  • ONE STRONG BASE PLATE
  • ONE SAFTY DOUBLE CONNECTION PLUG
  • ONE BATTERY CONTAINER EXTENTION
  • ONE TEST LAMP
  • ONE CAN BE USED LAMINATED BATTERY

The camera shown is the Asahiflex IIA with a rare (?!?) black and chrome Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58mm f2.4
Note that it is missing the protective plastic cover to avoid beeing blasted with bits from the bulb and that this copy have "exposed" cables.
Attached Images

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 08-11-2020 at 02:55 AM.
08-11-2020, 03:04 AM - 2 Likes   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More on the Asahi Flash-gun.

I now have two copies of this, one is missing the mounting brackets and the tiny tin to store the cable in. But I noticed some differences between the two.

Note the look of the cable and plug as well as the colour of the TEST-button and the small red dot on the terminal and plug to make sure you plug it in correctly.

First two pictures is one version, red test button and no red dot. and then vice versa.
Attached Images

10-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here you can find some details about the some of the lenses for the m37 mount.

Missing stats on aperture blade count and dimensions for M37 Lenses - PentaxForums.com