Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2018, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #91

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It came up on eBay and it was in such nice condition I couldn't help buying it. It was actually the first Asahiflex item I got.

01-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi
I found this on ebay. Look at the first picture, it looks like it is of a diffferent camera, notice that the slow speed dial seems to be missing. Or am I wrong?

Asahi Pentax Asahiflex Tower 22 | eBay[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 01-13-2018 at 05:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
It came up on eBay and it was in such nice condition I couldn't help buying it. It was actually the first Asahiflex item I got.
It is a really nice item. I sure hope to come across one sometimes in the future. Great find.
01-14-2018, 10:40 PM - 3 Likes   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hi
I found this on ebay. Look at the first picture, it looks like it is of a diffferent camera, notice that the slow speed dial seems to be missing. Or am I wrong?

Asahi Pentax Asahiflex Tower 22 | eBay[COLOR="Silver"]
Looking closely at the nameplate, I think the body in that first photo may be a Tower 24?

I'm just beginning to learn about early Asahi SLRs, but I have some Sears catalog scans I thought some of you might enjoy.
The scans are from Sears' 1955 through 1959 annual camera catalogs. I also have earlier Sears camera catalogs, but Asahi gear didn't appear until the 1955 issue.
You can see larger versions in my Flickr album here.

01-15-2018, 04:08 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Looking closely at the nameplate, I think the body in that first photo may be a Tower 24?

I'm just beginning to learn about early Asahi SLRs, but I have some Sears catalog scans I thought some of you might enjoy.
The scans are from Sears' 1955 through 1959 annual camera catalogs. I also have earlier Sears camera catalogs, but Asahi gear didn't appear until the 1955 issue.
You can see larger versions in my Flickr album here.
Really cool scans, thank you! I am thinking about buying a Sears catalog.

Think you're right, it looks like a Tower 24.

01-15-2018, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really cool scans, thank you! I am thinking about buying a Sears catalog.
. . .

You're welcome. I'm a hopeless nostalgic and I really enjoy paging through old catalogs and ads.
01-17-2018, 12:05 PM - 3 Likes   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found this photo in my files....by the Asahi Kogaku 83/1.9 on my digitall Pentax K5

01-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Gorgeous!!!

01-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Really nice !
03-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Spring is around the corner. Hope to see lots photos of Asahiflex cameras and gear, and photos take with Asahiflex cameras. Photos using these old lenses on new digital cameras are also welcome.
03-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This Asahiflex I is for sale on eBay. It caught my attention due to the flash terminal.

My question is if it has been modified or did it come line this from the factory?

Screenshot from post on ebay.
Attached Images

03-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This Asahiflex I is for sale on eBay. It caught my attention due to the flash terminal.

My question is if it has been modified or did it come line this from the factory?

Screenshot from post on ebay.
That is probably the old one, the Asahiflex I. I have the Asahiflex IIa, which was the most complete and it looks like this:

03-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears that’s the way it came from the factory. According to photos and notes in The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screwmount Guide this is likely the Asahiflex l. The flash terminal looks correct. Remarks: “One unmarked single core flash terminal with X-synchronization, standard lens has a flat, chrome finish front ring with black engravings. Mirror is already a semi rapid-return type. Viewfinder leaves are black instead of chrome as on later models. Tripod mount is on the right-hand side, facing the camera. “Asahi Optical Co.” Is embossed in the back covering.

The eBay image doesn’t show the embossing in the leatherette, but is is a poor photo. Max speeds match. Viewfinder leaves are black. There is no image of the bottom plate. 7,658 were produced. Serial number range estimated 20,000 - 30,000 (showing optimism as to Number of units to produce) so Serial is in the correct range. May, 1952 - October, 1953.

Despite omission of the bottom plate image and the likelihood that Eric can’t repair it, I bought the camera. The lens alone has some value. So now I have Asahiflex I, IIa and IIb, AP, H2, S2-MIB, S3, K, and SV.

I doubt I’ll ever see an S and I’m not likely to mess with looking for an Asahiflex Ia or S2 Super, or any of the crazy SA models. All my cameras work - though focusing the waist level finders is a real pain with my eyesight.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-25-2018 at 09:15 AM.
03-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
That is probably the old one, the Asahiflex I. I have the Asahiflex IIa, which was the most complete and it looks like this:

Yes, it is the Asahiflex I but I have never seen that look on the flash terminal. See this screenshot showing the way the terminal looks on all of the Asahiflex I that I've seen.

Screenshot from PF marketplace.
Attached Images

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 03-25-2018 at 09:48 AM.
03-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it is the Asahiflex I but I have never seen that look on the flash terminal. See this screenshot showing the way the terminal looks on all of the Asahiflex I that I've seen.
HA !!
That photo above looks like my Asahiflex-I
Which I purchased right here at PF-Marketplace a few years ago
Thanks Isaac W.
Attached Images

Last edited by Moe49; 03-25-2018 at 09:26 AM.
03-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see. The ring around the terminal looks like a replacement X-terminal from an Asahiflex II or later. I’ll post a good image when it gets here. I don’t care either way. If it is a replacement I’ll just think of it as character.

At least the lens looks correct.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-25-2018 at 09:42 AM.