Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They're really fun!
Did you get yours back from Eric? Please do post some photos.

07-12-2017, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Asahi-Kogaku 135mm

I was finally able to find a good looking Asahi-Kogaku Tele-Takumar 135mm f3.5. The prices for these have risen, not many are seen on eBay or from other sources. Now it has arrived and I am pleased. I had the original lens hood and lens cap from an earlier purchase. This one came with generic front cap and m42 rear cap as well as the original m37->m42 adapter. The seller had it marked with m42 mount.

The lens was produced between autum 1953 and winter 1957. It is made in chrome finnised brass, engraved in meters or feet. My copy has feet. It does feel solid and heavy in your hands.

Enclosed are some photos of the lens and some taken with the lens on K-3 with 3de party m37->m42 and original m42->K-adapter. I find the lens to produce fine, pleaseing images, shown are off the camera jpeg, just trimmed. The close-up of the leaves are 100% enlargement of the bush. All on f5.6 or f8. Almost straigt against the sun, flowers without hood, bush is with hood.

Using the lens is a bit odd, just as another has noted before. Due to the way it mounts, and the fact that the whole front rotates as you focus, the preset dial can end up on the "wrong" side, that slows down setting the prset, but once that is done, you just focus, and then close down the aperture to the desired preset value. Having the camera on M makes setting the correct exposure easy. Green button is good to have
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-01-2017, 04:31 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hope more of the Forum users have been out shooting with their Asahiflex / Tower SLR this summer.

Or maybe you have some cool gadget or lens for these cameras that you want to show us?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-01-2017, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They’re on the way to Eric. He asked me to wait until he clears his backlog.

10-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi.

I came accross this odd version: another m42 mount. THe seller doesn't seem to know what he is offering (writes it has 40.5mm mount?) and talks about the Auto-Tak 35mm f3.5 is "rare" and calles it preset. So maybe someone can score a deal?

Asahiflex pentax early camera with rare 35mm f3.5 preset lens | eBay

Regards
Baard-Einar
10-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taking into account that the ASA dial on the back is not original (is it?) my guess is that it was also modified with a M42 mount. Nice mods, nevertheless!
10-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Taking into account that the ASA dial on the back is not original (is it?) my guess is that it was also modified with a M42 mount. Nice mods, nevertheless!
That dial is not original. Maybe just glued on?

If the m42 version is a mod or from factory is debatable, one previous post shows camera and documents for a purchase of a m42 mount version new from shop. The 58mm even came with the m37 -> m42 adapter.

10-28-2017, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know so little about these, and the Descriptions are so full of faults that I hesitate to bid unless I know the seller, as I did with my Two Towers*

* reference intended
11-18-2017, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #54

A couple of weeks ago I picked up an Asahiflex IIa with lenses and accessories. I thought I would share a photo of the group as apparently all these items were together when bought by previous owner, I think at a garage sale. Overall the condition is excellent except the shutter speeds are shot. I am waiting for a m37->m42 adapter so I can try the lenses on other cameras, and eventually will get the shutter serviced. It is interesting to see what a kit would have had in it:
Asahiflex IIa with leather case
Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58/2.4 - hood (with leather case), but no caps
Asahi_Kogaku Tele-Takumar 135/3.5 - hood (with leather case), both caps, leather case
Fujitar P.C 35/2.5, both caps, labelled around rear element "FOR ASAHI FLEX IIA IIB" (I understand this same lens is known to be labelled with other names including Fujita, Tower and others)
Set of 4 extension tubes in original box
Asahiflex Bellowscope, original soft case
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark II  Photo 
11-19-2017, 05:49 AM   #55
Veteran Member

There is an Asahiflex with 58mm 2.4 and a 135mm lenses for sale for $400 CAD on local classifieds. Don't have a budget for it at this time...
11-19-2017, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ehpem Quote
A couple of weeks ago I picked up an Asahiflex IIa with lenses and accessories. I thought I would share a photo of the group as apparently all these items were together when bought by previous owner, I think at a garage sale. Overall the condition is excellent except the shutter speeds are shot. I am waiting for a m37->m42 adapter so I can try the lenses on other cameras, and eventually will get the shutter serviced. It is interesting to see what a kit would have had in it:
Asahiflex IIa with leather case
Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58/2.4 - hood (with leather case), but no caps
Asahi_Kogaku Tele-Takumar 135/3.5 - hood (with leather case), both caps, leather case
Fujitar P.C 35/2.5, both caps, labelled around rear element "FOR ASAHI FLEX IIA IIB" (I understand this same lens is known to be labelled with other names including Fujita, Tower and others)
Set of 4 extension tubes in original box
Asahiflex Bellowscope, original soft case
What a really nice kit. Great find. The Fujitar is very intresting, since Asahi Opt Co didn't provide any sort of wide angle in their own lineup. Bellows in its case is also hard to find, as far as I know.

M37adapters can be bought cheap, I recommend to find one without a flange, otherwise you might struggle with infinity focus. Do post some photos taken with these lenses.

/Baard-Einar

---------- Post added 11-19-2017 at 06:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
There is an Asahiflex with 58mm 2.4 and a 135mm lenses for sale for $400 CAD on local classifieds. Don't have a budget for it at this time...
I think that is to pricy.
11-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
What a really nice kit. Great find. The Fujitar is very intresting, since Asahi Opt Co didn't provide any sort of wide angle in their own lineup. Bellows in its case is also hard to find, as far as I know.

M37adapters can be bought cheap, I recommend to find one without a flange, otherwise you might struggle with infinity focus. Do post some photos taken with these lenses.

/Baard-Einar

---------- Post added 11-19-2017 at 06:50 PM ----------

I think that is to pricy.
Thanks for the response. Full frame photos through these lenses will be posted! The adapter I have ordered has no flange, so I am glad to hear I did the right thing in that department.

I agree that 400 seems pricey for camera with 58 and 135, though the 135/3.5 lenses are often listed for well over 200 (not that they necessarily sell for that) so in that world 400 might not be totally out of line.
11-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

I agree that 400 seems pricey for camera with 58 and 135, though the 135/3.5 lenses are often listed for well over 200 (not that they necessarily sell for that) so in that world 400 might not be totally out of line.
Hi again,

You're right, I was to quick. Maybe 400CAD is an ok price. I payed 299CAD for just the 135/3.5.
11-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. Full frame photos through these lenses will be posted! The adapter I have ordered has no flange, so I am glad to hear I did the right thing in that department.
Just a note: using the small m37 on modern cameras might lead to light leaks into the mirror box. If you use a set up like shown on the photo, a rubber band, hair band or O-ring might be a smart idea to cover up those openings.

/Baard-Einar
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D5803  Photo 
11-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #60

Just a note: using the small m37 on modern cameras might lead to light leaks into the mirror box. If you use a set up like shown on the photo, a rubber band, hair band or O-ring might be a smart idea to cover up those openings.

/Baard-Einar
Thanks! Rubber band seems like a good place to start, lots of them in the kitchen drawer. I will be shooting on a Canon 5Dii so there will also be an m42>EOS adapter involved. Not sure how it will look for light leaks until I see it. I'd like to see how the lenses look with film too, so once I get a feel for the lenses I will shoot some film - perhaps with a Spotmatic. I like the idea of trying the 58/2.4 as a portrait lens due to it being a Heliar type design, so perhaps will try that on a crop sensor too. Obviously I am going to need to take some macro shots as well, with all that close up gear. Can you tell I am planning on having some fun? I'll be writing it all up on my photo blog as well, but will bring some of that to these pages as well.

---------- Post added 11-19-17 at 01:42 PM ----------

Hi again,

You're right, I was to quick. Maybe 400CAD is an ok price. I payed 299CAD for just the 135/3.5.
Hearing numbers like that makes me feel good about my kit