Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #61

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ehpem Quote
A couple of weeks ago I picked up an Asahiflex IIa with lenses and accessories. I thought I would share a photo of the group as apparently all these items were together when bought by previous owner, I think at a garage sale. Overall the condition is excellent except the shutter speeds are shot. I am waiting for a m37->m42 adapter so I can try the lenses on other cameras, and eventually will get the shutter serviced. It is interesting to see what a kit would have had in it:
Asahiflex IIa with leather case
Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58/2.4 - hood (with leather case), but no caps
Asahi_Kogaku Tele-Takumar 135/3.5 - hood (with leather case), both caps, leather case
Fujitar P.C 35/2.5, both caps, labelled around rear element "FOR ASAHI FLEX IIA IIB" (I understand this same lens is known to be labelled with other names including Fujita, Tower and others)
Set of 4 extension tubes in original box
Asahiflex Bellowscope, original soft case
The guy that sold me this kit got in touch today. He had found the case for the Fujitar (it is labelled Fujita), some filters, the Asahiflex manual, and a second Asahiflex body - this one a slightly unusual model IIb - it has open triangles on the top like the IIa, not filled ones like most of the photos I have seen. The body is parts only, it is missing the ground glass and the threaded rim for screwing lenses into, and the waist level viewfinder surrounds are a bit mangled. But the shutter looks a lot better condition than in the IIa though it too is slow. Anyway, the kit just got more complete, which was a wonderful surprise, at no additional cost

12-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hm, Asahiflex IIb with nickle finnish. Is this manipulated in any way? Look at the finnish of the nobs.
RARE Asahiflex camera 50mm f:3.5 Asahi-Kogaku Takumar lens in Nickel finish LQQK | eBay
12-05-2017, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hm, Asahiflex IIb with nickle finnish. Is this manipulated in any way? Look at the finnish of the nobs.
Looking at the images camera finish has been manipulated. It is very easy quick process to remove the chrome plating & just leave the original nickel finish.

Indications of camera being stripped that I see are :
- Paint in engravings being removed. Looking at patches remaining is typical pattern after stripping.
- Rear door latch not being stripped
- Screws not being stripped. Screws were not usually nickel plated under the chrome. From the factory Pentax would have matched the look of screws to the body & not made them a 'feature".
- Knobs, rewind lever, tripod socket not being stripped. From the factory Pentax would have kept a consistent look.
- Nickel plating is much softer than chrome & wears very quickly. There are no signs of normal wear on the nickel plating at edges/corners.
- Obvious corrosion around lens mount. Corrosion appears to be 'too clean' for that amount of corrosion. Stripping would have also partially removed some corrosion.
- Paint has been refinished. Zoom in on film door left side bottom & top dented but no marks on paintwork. No wear/paint chips on strap lugs which is common.
It would be a nice looking showpiece camera as nickel has a 'soft warm glow' compared to chrome, but not factory original.

Last edited by Tool_Horder; 12-05-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added detail
12-05-2017, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lucky acquisition

Related, but not strictly on topic:
I offered to be the backup buyer if the first deal fell through . . . and then I got the PM

H2 kit with boxes in outstanding condition.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by monochrome; 12-06-2017 at 11:18 AM.
12-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great idea, here is a discussion that I would like to continue here.

Photos Taken with the Asahiflex Camera - PentaxForums.com

I have been collecting the Ashiflex lenses and waiting for the time to get a nice Asahiflex IIa. I got one (in the mail), and I will start posting the photos here.)

Pepe
12-14-2017, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, please meet the family:

12-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that 83 is very sexy

12-14-2017, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
that 83 is very sexy
. Indeed, very $exy! The 100/3.5 is a class act. The 135/3.5 is a good thing to have it, but hard to use on that little machine. The 50/3.5 is the perfect companion, a trooper. The 50/2.4 is a bit easier to handle than the 50/3.5 and OK.
12-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does it perform? I have the M42 one, but not the M37 one.
12-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does it perform? I have the M42 one, but not the M37 one.
Not sure who's performance you are asking for. However, the camera Asahiflex IIa is the best of the bunch. It is fully manual, lenses are pre-set, the focusing is done like on the Rolleiflex. It is not easy, but you get the hang of it. That is why the 135mm is too heavy to focus. The camera is very small and cute, with the 50/3.5 it fits in my jacket pocket.

The 83mm is unbelievable, the perfect lens on this camera for portraits. Its performance is perfect too. Although the sharpest of all is the 50/3.5. I have been looking for the 83mm in M42 unsuccessfully. I do have two of the 100/3.5, that is a real class act, for portraits and details, very sharp with nice bokeh. I have used those on the K5 and K3, but for the first time on the Asahiflex. Most of the Asahiflex are not in good shape. I was lucky to find this one from a collector who had it clad by DAG (the Leica repairer).

I am currently shooting my second roll. I will be posting in few days. I am using Sunny 16 for outdoors, although I do have a Voigtlinder meter, so small that it fits on my pockets all the time.

---------- Post added 12-14-17 at 08:26 PM ----------

Photos Taken with the Asahiflex Camera - PentaxForums.com
12-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was referring to the 83 1.9. Thanks for all the details Pepe.
12-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #72

What a great collection. From what I read that 83 is superb. I have just been testing my 58 on a full frame DSLR and if the 83 is even better then it must be a special lens.

I made a blog post today (A Complete Asahiflex Kit | burnt embers) about my intact and apparently contemporaneous Asahiflex kit. Over the next few days I will post lens tests for the 58, 135 and Fujitar 35. The 58 post will include comparisons to an SMC 55/1.8 and Helios-44-2 58/2.

Would this be the proper part of Pentax Forums to post some of the lens test images? If not, where should I post them?

Last edited by Ehpem; 12-15-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: fix typo in lens name
12-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What a great collection. From what I read that 83 is superb. I have just been testing my 58 on a full frame DSLR and if the 83 is even better then it must be a special lens.

I made a blog post today (A Complete Asahiflex Kit | burnt embers) about my intact and apparently contemporaneous Asahiflex kit. Over the next few days I will post lens tests for the 58, 135 and Fujitar 35. The 58 post will include comparisons to an SMC 55/1.8 and Helios-44-2 58/2.

Would this be the proper part of Pentax Forums to post some of the lens test images? If not, where should I post them?
Hi

You can post in this thread and you can post in the lens review section. That would be great stuff!

---------- Post added 12-15-2017 at 09:48 PM ----------

that 83 is very sexy
That is on my wish list....
12-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hi

You can post in this thread and you can post in the lens review section. That would be great stuff!

---------- Post added 12-15-2017 at 09:48 PM ----------

That is on my wish list....
But presumably not in both? Just trying to figure out the better place.

Also, do you have any experience with the Tele-Takumar 135 losing contrast at f8/f16? Mine seems to, though I may need to test it more to be sure.
12-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But presumably not in both? Just trying to figure out the better place.

Also, do you have any experience with the Tele-Takumar 135 losing contrast at f8/f16? Mine seems to, though I may need to test it more to be sure.

You can post here and in any other place. I tried to find threads of the Asahiflex, but only found one after I have opened this one. I will continue posting my photos here.