Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #76

Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58/2.4 test

I have recently posted on my blog tests of the Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58/2.4. In that post I compare it also with shots from an SMC Takumar 55/1.8 and Helios-44-2 58/2. The post is here: Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58mm f2.4 Lens Test | burnt embers

Below are the 58/2.4 images from that post which were made at f/16, f/5.6 and f/2.4, including same-size crops from the center and lower and upper left corners. The images were made with a full frame Canon 5Dii. The adapters included a m37>m42 inside a variety of m42>EOS adapters. There are no gaps for light leaks in this combination of adapters. I used live view full magnification to focus; the focus point was the washer on the steering post just below the nut that can be seen in the centre crop. In my post I give more details about methods and outcomes. My conclusion though is that this lens is sharper than the other two. The light is quite flat so I am can't really comment on other aspects of colour rendition, flare and so on, though in these conditions it is every bit as good as the others. In a few days I will do similar posts for the 135/3.5 and Fujitar P.C 35/2.5. When the camera comes back from a shutter repair I will post some film shots made with the camera and these lenses.

Lens testing isn't my thing, but if there is something I am doing all wrong then let me know so I can do better in future tests. Thanks!

At F/16:

At F/5.6:

At F/2.4

12-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the Asahiflex advertisement

According to the Asahiflexl literature that came with the lenses, the Asahi-Kogaky 50/3.5 was made for the Asahiflex film camera for black and white. When color came up, they designed the 58/2.4, which is supposed to be corrected for color. I am not sure about their performance on DSLRs. Keep in mind that on the Pentax, there may be a light leak though the adapter. You can solve this by placing a thick rubber band around the lens/camera joint.
12-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
According to the Asahiflexl literature that came with the lenses, the Asahi-Kogaky 50/3.5 was made for the Asahiflex film camera for black and white. When color came up, they designed the 58/2.4, which is supposed to be corrected for color. I am not sure about their performance on DSLRs. Keep in mind that on the Pentax, there may be a light leak though the adapter. You can solve this by placing a thick rubber band around the lens/camera joint.
Thanks Pepe - I should have included this page from the Asahiflex II manual that came with the camera:

12-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ehpem Quote
. . .
Also, do you have any experience with the Tele-Takumar 135 losing contrast at f8/f16? Mine seems to, though I may need to test it more to be sure.

Under good conditions I haven't seen that with my copy. But when I used my Canon 5D to shoot a series with harsh backlighting, a center hot spot did appear at f/8 and continued through f/16. However, I suspect almost any film era lens would've suffered the same fate.

And thanks for the 58 f/2.4 samples. That's a dream Asahi kit you found!

12-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Under good conditions I haven't seen that with my copy. But when I used my Canon 5D to shoot a series with harsh backlighting, a center hot spot did appear at f/8 and continued through f/16. However, I suspect almost any film era lens would've suffered the same fate.

And thanks for the 58 f/2.4 samples. That's a dream Asahi kit you found!
Thanks for the information a.a.t. My shots so far have had a fairly bright background - a window, but not brightly lit by any means as we have low light at the moment. I will have to run another set of tests with a dark background and see what happens, now that the rain has stopped and I can move back outdoors.

It is a dream kit I love finding a kit put together by a user at the time a camera was in its heyday - it can sheds lots of light on how they were used.
12-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be nice if you post this information on the lens review section, people would benefit better. Also, I was refering in this thread to the Asahiflex, so if you have pics taken with the Asahiflex, it would be nice to see them here.
12-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #82

It would be nice if you post this information on the lens review section, people would benefit better. Also, I was refering in this thread to the Asahiflex, so if you have pics taken with the Asahiflex, it would be nice to see them here.
Hi Pepe, I guess I was confused by the answers I got to my question about where to post.

So, I will ask again: Is it OK to post the same post in two different parts of PentaxForums? If so, I would be fine with moving it over.

I was taking my lead from the OP who wrote in the original post "So please share photos of your collection, your stories and also some photos taken with either the cameras or some of these great lenses." But I can see that he might have intended general shots, not specific lens tests.

12-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ehpem Quote
Hi Pepe, I guess I was confused by the answers I got to my question about where to post.

So, I will ask again: Is it OK to post the same post in two different parts of PentaxForums? If so, I would be fine with moving it over.

I was taking my lead from the OP who wrote in the original post "So please share photos of your collection, your stories and also some photos taken with either the cameras or some of these great lenses." But I can see that he might have intended general shots, not specific lens tests.
I think it is fine, there is no posting police here . But what you have done in term of testing is valuable information that fits better at the lens review section. It will be there forever. You can leave the info here already, and just post at the lens review section too. If you feel like you have a lot on the subject, you can start a new thread calling it with the name you create, so it can be found later. Since I am now working with film, I wanted to know what people have done ON FILM with the Asahiflex.
Hope this works.
Pepe
12-16-2017, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #84

I think it is fine, there is no posting police here . But what you have done in term of testing is valuable information that fits better at the lens review section. It will be there forever. You can leave the info here already, and just post at the lens review section too. If you feel like you have a lot on the subject, you can start a new thread calling it with the name you create, so it can be found later. Since I am now working with film, I wanted to know what people have done ON FILM with the Asahiflex.
Hope this works.
Pepe
Thanks Pepe - I will post it over in the lens review section too. I too shoot film mostly, so you will be seeing some film shots around here when the camera is serviced.
12-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #85

I have added my review of the Asahi-Kogaku Tele-Takumar 135/3.5 to the Lens Review section Tele-photo Takumar 135mm F3.5 Reviews - M37 Screwmount Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

A more detailed review with more sample shots from the lens is also posted on my blog today: Asahi-Kogaku Tele-Takumar 135mm F3.5 Lens Test | burnt embers

The main downside is a centre hotspot at f/8 and f/16 with significant loss of contrast (f/8 example below). But shot at f/5.6 it is a very competent lens that compares favourably to a Super Multi Coated Takumar 135/3.5

12-20-2017, 11:48 PM - 2 Likes   #86

Photos: Albums
Some photos of the Asahiflex flash unit which should be self-explanatory except for the last one showing the reflector edge on. What you can also see is a flexible plastic sheet the protects the subject if a flashbulb explodes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
12-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #87

I have completed my lens test review on my blog of the m37 Fujitar 35/2.5 that came with my Asahiflex IIa. I am wondering where is the best place to put it in the lens database. I think the easiest place for people to find it is in the m37 lens section, but that is for Pentax lenses only (though it surely would not get cluttered if all 4 or 5 non-Pentax m37 lenses ended up there). Since there is no other m37 section, should it just go into the Third Party>Miscellaneous>Primes part of the lens database? If I put it in the wrong place, can it be moved by a mod?

Guidance would be welcome!

My blog review compares the lens to a S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5 and a Nikon Series E 35/2.5. It can be found at: Fujitar P.C 35mm F2.5 Asahiflex Lens Test | burnt embers

This is the lens:

And it's case:

12-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Some photos of the Asahiflex flash unit which should be self-explanatory except for the last one showing the reflector edge on. What you can also see is a flexible plastic sheet the protects the subject if a flashbulb explodes.
That's a really nice kit. Not a lot of those around. Could you scan the manual?

Cool detail that plastic sheet.
12-28-2017, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #89

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
That's a really nice kit. Not a lot of those around. Could you scan the manual?

Cool detail that plastic sheet.
Flash manual as requested. I also realised I hadn't shown the little tin that holds the sync cable. Not sure why they thought the cable needed its own container but it's a nice touch. Note that there was apparently a whole research section devoted to flash guns.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
12-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Flash manual as requested. I also realised I hadn't shown the little tin that holds the sync cable. Not sure why they thought the cable needed its own container but it's a nice touch. Note that there was apparently a whole research section devoted to flash guns.
Fantastic! Love the quote on the cover of the manual: "The ASAHI flash gun, once tried, never fails to please flash-gun lovers"

How did you come to own this flash-gun?