Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #1

Later Day Pentax SLR

Hey Everyone,

I've had great success with the trusty K1000 but was wondering if Pentax had a fully automatic film SLR/camera in the later days of production (1980's/1990's) that has automatic film advance/rewind and other automatic features. I'm in the market for something I can pair with my Pentax glass but more akin to a point and shoot in its operation if that makes sense.

As always, thanks in advance for any help :-)

02-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Short answer; yes. Have you looked here?:

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
02-19-2017, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Longer answer: it depends on precisely what you need as to what I or others would recommend.

The PZ-1 also called the Z-1 and the PZ-1p / Z-1p are my favorite of the Pentax AF bodies but these are very large "semi-pro" cameras. There are many other models that might work.
02-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The A3/A3000 was a fully automatic manual focus SLR, to the point of not having any manual mode at all (other than flash sync, 1/60th sec, and B). It was the only manual focus SLR made by Pentax with a built-in winder.

Pentax A3 / A3000 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

02-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
Will definitely lookinto the A3 and PZ1. I dont mind manual focus at a push if all other functions are automatic. I know it sounds silly but manually advancing film and manually rewinding the film does nothing for me! I just want to focus on composition and let the camera do the work when it comes to exposure settings.
02-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given your requirements, I would have a look at the later generation of bodies with my preferences being the PZ-1p and the MZ-S. I kept the PZ-1p and still use it. It has everything from point and shoot simplicity to sophisticated modes and I just love Hyperprogram on that camera. It has a fast film advance rate for a film camera and although it is light, it is robust. It was an easy transition from the PZ-1p to digital bodies. You should be aware that none of the later cameras had the K1000 utilitarian design features that I still appreciate. They tended towards the "big-black-blob" design tendencies of the 1990s. Hope this is a help.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 02-19-2017 at 07:08 PM.
02-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Given your requirements, I would have a look at the later generation of bodies with my preferences being the PZ-1p and the MZ-S. I kept the PZ-1p and still use it. It has everything from point and shoot simplicity to sophisticated modes and just love Hyperprogram on that camera. It has a fast film advance rate for a film camera and although it is light, it is robust. It was an easy transition from the PZ-1p to digital bodiees. You should be aware that none of the later cameras had the K1000 utilitarian design features that I still appreciate. They tended towards the "big-black-blob" design tendencies of the 1990s. Hope this is a help.
Good summary. The pz-1 and pz-1p were fairly similar and while the pz-1p is better I would say either would be pretty good.

To be clear by modern autofocus standards these are primitive and slow. Metering is robust for the day but still a bit dated. More importantly the batteries required by the pz-1 and pz-1p are a bit expensive and there are not many if any rechargeable options. There is no battery grip available for these (a grip with no buttons and battery exists.

02-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by minglukhan Quote
Hey Everyone,

I've had great success with the trusty K1000 but was wondering if Pentax had a fully automatic film SLR/camera in the later days of production (1980's/1990's) that has automatic film advance/rewind and other automatic features. I'm in the market for something I can pair with my Pentax glass but more akin to a point and shoot in its operation if that makes sense.

As always, thanks in advance for any help :-)
The SFX and SFXn could be full manual, but also fully automatic. 1/4000 shutter speed on the SFXn, good autofocus. Top LVD, good intuitive controls.
02-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After looking at battery costs I withdraw my comment about battery costs on the pz-1. The batteries last a long time and they are as cheap or cheaper than the pair of cr2 battles needed in later cameras.
02-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by minglukhan Quote
... but was wondering if Pentax had a fully automatic film SLR/camera in the later days of production (1980's/1990's) that has automatic film advance/rewind and other automatic features.
I like the Pentax MZ-S (2001) plus BG-10 battery grip as a fully automatic film SLR camera. It has quickly taken over as my go-to vacation film SLR.

The MZ-S has
automatic film loading/advance/rewind that always gets you 37 exposures out of a 36 roll ,
auto-focus with all Pentax and 3rd party K-mount screw-drive lenses,
focus confirmation with Pentax and 3rd party manual-focus lenses,
Aperture Priority mode, Shutter Priority mode, full auto mode, etc.

The BG-10 battery grip lets me use AA rechargeables instead of CR2's.
The Pentax MZ-S/BG-10 combo fits my hands better than the camera alone.

The Pentax MZ-3 (1997) plus Battery Grip FG is also an excellent fully automatic film SLR camera + manual features, for the same reasons as I listed for the MZ-S.

If you desire a 'true' Point and Shoot Pentax film camera, I think the Pentax IQZoom 145M Super (2002) is a good choice.

Last edited by Moe49; 02-23-2017 at 02:33 PM.
02-21-2017, 04:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think the MZ-S, while very good, is rather expensive for a first Pentax automatic SLR. An MZ-10 or MZ-6 would be a good choice for trying this line - both are fully automatic but can also be fully manual, and both importantly have the ability to use the aperture ring of older lenses (some of the MZ series have a 'crippled' mount and require A series or later lenses). My favourite Pentax AF body is the (P)Z-1p, but as has already been mentioned, this is a big heavy beast of a camera. I think it would be worth trying a cheaper model first to make sure you like the automatic SLR experience, then moving on to something like the Z-1 or MZ-S if you do.
02-21-2017, 04:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The SFX and SFXn could be full manual, but also fully automatic. 1/4000 shutter speed on the SFXn, good autofocus. Top LVD, good intuitive controls.
I bought an SFX when working in Saudi Arabia in 1989 (I wasn't told the SFXn had already been released so I probably got old stock ) I like this camera, used it for many years, and was a bit confused by the negative comments (not the reviews!) on this site.

I remember that it was far superior to the Nikons my colleagues bought (at the same time) when taking flash in a darkened room. The projected pattern made it easy for the system to focus in a dark room.

I bought the AA grip after I bought the camera - this is my grip here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-aa-battery-grip-for-sf-series-slrs.html.

I bought an almost mint Z-1 not long back but haven't yet tried it.

Last edited by p38arover; 02-21-2017 at 05:03 AM.
02-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been looking for an AA grip for mine for some time!
02-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

When I get rid of the SFX I'll contact you.
02-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
When I get rid of the SFX I'll contact you.
Ha. But if you'll like me, you'll never get rid of it!