Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
=Why I love my ME SUPER=

Hi folks.
The more I use my ME Super, the more I love it. Its small size with a small lens makes it easy to toss into the bag and go...It is durable and does not need to to pampered like DSLR's do....Besides, as I was waling through Elysian Park yesterday on my way to Hollywood to shoot a roll, I got to thinking....This ME Super also makes a good weapon...as does the K1000's...Anyway, here are a few of yesterdays images...ME super with Tokina 28mm F/2.8 lens, loaded with Fuji ISO200 speed standard film.

Overlooking downtown Los Angeles and Dodger stadium

Cruising through the park, I came accross this old camper...Looked interesting so I shot it..

I went to the Kodak theature where the ''stars'' walk the red carpet..

Here is inside the Kodak theature..I must admit, I am surprised this shot came out..I was wide open and as slow a shutter as I could stand for hand holding...It is pretty dark in there, or should I say..''bad light''

From up top the Kodak, 5 stories high. Looking down on Hollywood Blvd

Looking up at the famous Manns Chinese theature

Looking across the street to the world famous ''El Capitan''

Looking a brand new billboard that just got put up.

08-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #2

So, If I am looking for a small, cheap, reliable film camera that exposes properly and on which I can use all of my K-mount lenses, the ME super is the one?

PS: the hallow around the buildings make those shots look like HDR... Are you pulling our legs?
08-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ME Super = super for sure! The Program series is good also, though at their best with A lenses.

The haloing looks to me like over-enthusiastic sharpening (30 or so pixels and way more than the 20 or so percent that supports, for added contrast). High percentage sharpening needs a .3 or even .2 pixel radius.
08-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just called CVS and they did tell me that the scanner automatically applies noise reduction software and color correction and sharpening.. EEK..
I will rescan the negatives and repost. I do have a good scanner and vuescan software. I will give it a go tomorrow.

08-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Something's out of whack with their machine, I haven't seen this sort of result from my CVS. Really, they must have slipped the sharpen and nr way up
08-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Something's out of whack with their machine, I haven't seen this sort of result from my CVS. Really, they must have slipped the sharpen and nr way up
Neither have I. When I looked at them on my work monitor they looked good, but now that I am looking at them on my high def calibrated monitor.. eek..I did notice they added a new machine about two weeks ago and it was up and running...I think not so good...Don't know if its the scanner or the process.
08-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ah, the progress of digital processing...

Here's a side question to the whole ME Super love affair. Have you / has anyone tried Super Takumars or othe screw mounts on it? What's the metering process?

One thing I like about the Program Plus is that it does 'auto stop down metering' very well indeed. You put the lens on manual, focus wide open, then stop down to where you want it. You leave the camera on auto, and it figures out the shutter speed.

I'm guessing the ME Super works in a similar fashion? If so, I'll pray for the stock market recovery ever more fervently.

08-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK Folks,
Here are three I scanned myself using my HP G3010 with vuescan software.
I scanned at 300dpi (quick scans) and resized to 800 pix to fit the forum rules.
First thing I noticed is the pretty film grain is back
What are your thoughts?

08-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Much better. I noticed the thing about grain also, comparing Epson software to VueScan and Silverfast, even with all grain etc doohickies turned off. I think software is good when you want it, but it really doesn't know if the subject has the pattern or the film... As I was trying out the Silverfast defect remover, I noticed it removed repeating window detail from a building shot, leaving the dust alone!

I especially like the El Capitan shot - the top of the building and the columns on the next builidng are a really good test of useful resolution. The first set of scans looked a bit like demented HDR.
08-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nester, I have also tried Silverfast and found that to be very good as well. In some ways better that VueScan, but with the Silverfast, it is married to my other scanner..But back to the grain. I believe that is one the beauties of film..To kill it means killing ''detail''...I guess I will simply start scanning my own film again....

I am beginning to realize that the reason I do not see allot of difference in ''films'' is because of the scan software at CVS. I wonder If I can request a scan with out any PP done?
08-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is another I just finished scanning @ 600 dpi
08-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

oh yeah!

Funny though, of the original set the indoor mall shot benefited from the CVS treatment, in that it became even more surreal and wierd. Sort of like what mall-hypnosis feels like.

Javier, pls see my question above, have you tried your Takumars on the ME Super?
08-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Javier, pls see my question above, have you tried your Takumars on the ME Super?
Nesster, I don't have any Takumars. I have tried many lenses on my ME Super, but all are traditional K mount.
08-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Nesster, I don't have any Takumars. I have tried many lenses on my ME Super, but all are traditional K mount.

Ah, never mind then... and some day, you'll have to try a couple
08-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, never mind then... and some day, you'll have to try a couple
Soon enough, as I just aquired a spotmatic with a takumar 55 f/1.7 lens.