Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Photography instead of meds

Hi folks..Rather than Hi Jack the ''inspired'' thread, I thought I would simply start a new one....

Personally, speaking, I have been suffering from clinical depression for a few years now..Seen many doctors, have built some cool fish tanks, have been on a few different kind of meds, etc and nothing has done for me more than photography, well next to Jesus anyway...But when I feel stressed or down, I simply go for a walk and or a photo hunt and what a difference....If I come back with one good pic, I am happy...If I come back with none, it is still a great time....

Have any others found the same thing?

08-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely! Along with Jesus and my friends and family, I find photography to be a key to my sanity. I really enjoy it and it keeps me occupied since there's always something new to learn. I tend to be more of a right-brained person, anyhow, so it satisfies that part of my brain. I start feeling down if I can't go out and shoot.

I've been on my share of antidepressant meds and they either haven't worked or have worked but given me unpleasant side effects like weight gain, insomnia, and fatigue. As a matter of fact, I'm in the process of tapering off Cymbalta and it hasn't been a lot of fun, as I'm dealing with an almost constant headache that doesn't respond to the usual headache remedy, as well as ocassional waves of achiness and nausea and generally not feeling quite like myself. I just dropped from 60mg to 30mg this week and if this is how I'm feeling by simply cutting it in half, I can only imagine what I would be feeling like if I had quit it cold turkey. Just in case anybody is wondering, I'm doing this with my Dr.'s blessing.

Noting this, it's time for me to go take my meds and call it a night.

Heather
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It is good to hear that folks are benefiting by photography. Faith in Our Lord is paramount in my life, and photography helps me to unwind and enjoy God's exquisite Creation.

Glen
08-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There was an article in Pop photo a month ago about people with various physical problems discovering photography and finding meaning with it.

Myself, I can see when obsession increases it goes with life stresses ... I'm lucky enough not to have too screwy brain chemistry, but there's chronic illness in my family, and photography is definitely a balancing outlet for me. I do try to remain aware of when my interest starts to edge into obsession, and to pull back a bit when that happens.

Photography is definitely more active and creative than, say, hi-fi which is fairly passive, usually. I could see musicians (the prototypical guitar geek) getting something of the variety that photography offers. But like Heather says, there are so many creative and technical directions to take, the hobby really adjusts and supports nearly any type of need.

Heather, are your headaches due to the withdrawal, or are they unrelated? Reason I'm asking is the our son has had a constant 24x7 migraine for 8 years now... very debilitating.

08-08-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photography keeps me focused

I use photography to keeps me focused on what's important in life. When you are out taking pictures you are looking so hard at every detail and notice things you may have never noticed. Some of God creations would go totally ignored if you weren't focusing on Him and his creations.

I was getting together some photos in a album last night and saw so many photographs that I have taken of the kids over the years. Really make you think how blessed you are. Wouldn't have happened if the photo's didn't pull those memories back. Thanks for bringing up the good uses for photography. Enjoy
08-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Heather, are your headaches due to the withdrawal, or are they unrelated? Reason I'm asking is the our son has had a constant 24x7 migraine for 8 years now... very debilitating.
From what I understand, headache is a withdrawal symptom, but I also have issues with my sinuses that also give me headaches. Today, my headache is still there, but not so bad, as I took some Benedryl with the Cymbalta last night. Perhaps that helped. Today the nausea is more of an issue; I've already had to hug the toilet once early this morning. Here's a list of the most common withdrawal symptoms: Cymbalta Withdrawal.

I also read that same article about people dealing various issues and disabilities by getting into photography. I can totally relate and found their stories inspiring.

Heather
08-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #7

I have also been down that road with depression. 7 years ago myself. My twin brother had died and the year before that his wife had killed hersel. I took many different meds and tried many things to help me with my depression. I found my help in photography. i'm not great at it yet but I love the way it helps in placing my focus on it and not other things and finding this site is also great just seeing how other people do things

08-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #8

Would this mean you can now charge your camera on your health insurance?
08-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I don't do religion, but photography certainly serves as a means of relaxing and focusing (pun intended) on something beside the stresses of everyday life. And, since my wife has suffered from chronic depression for many years, I get enough of that. Taking pictures, thinking about taking pictures, post-processing, and taking the time out to go outside my normal routine to get to picturesque settings - all of those are things that help relax the mind.

I used to do martial arts for the same sorts of reasons, but the second ACL tear on the same knee kinda put an end to that...

Jim
08-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Heather, I totally sympathize with you on the headaches. a couple years ago my doc doubled my dose of Welbutrin and I spent a week trying to find the darkest, quietest hole I would fit into.

Some of my favorite photographs have come while out on a walk trying to cope with depression. Thankfully, between photography and the Lord's power I've overcome the worst parts of my depression. Being able to get totally lost in a photo moment really helps.
08-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's something serene about going out and just snapping for the fun of it.
With a family to attend to, there's not much time to photograph for leisure.
But the spare moments I have when kids are asleep and wife is busy with other things, I tend to find a cool place to take photos locally, and I also feel good coming home... hence some of my star trail shots recently...

A very enjoyable vocation indeed.
08-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Folks,
It is interesting and wonderful to hear how photography has been able to help some folks with depression. It is more exciting to read how much Christ is a part of some folks lives as well...

For folks who have never suffered from depression, it is difficult for them to understand and ''it is ok'' I am 43 years old and for the majority of my life have been happy as a clam, until a few years ago. April 4th 2003 to be exact...I had a massive breakdown which led to a mild heart attack and then panic attacks, then anxiety attacks and all out of the blue...It just happened...In fact, things where going pretty well...Still are...except for the health problems I have, but life is short and soon enough I will be gone. I can't wait to go home.

Eddie, I am so sorry to hear of your brothers passing and what your family has been through.. I have a twins myself and see how they are extremely close..even though they have that love hate relationship, they love above all else...I Pray a blessing for you...

Jim,
Religion is not good...don't get caught up in any of it...I am not religious at all...I am a simple person who has a relationship with Christ..Big difference and I did not intend this thread to go the route of religion, but as a way to simply express how photography is a great medication....

It is also good to know that we are not alone and can lift each other up what ever our beliefs....
08-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There's something serene about going out and just snapping for the fun of it.
With a family to attend to, there's not much time to photograph for leisure.
But the spare moments I have when kids are asleep and wife is busy with other things, I tend to find a cool place to take photos locally, and I also feel good coming home... hence some of my star trail shots recently...

A very enjoyable vocation indeed.
Exactly, and i know what you mean..Sometimes while stuck a home, I think, ''what can I do ?'' But there is always something to shoot. I am going to start looking for coins with the year I was born ''1965'' and take some macro shots of them...So I have jars full of coins that i will search through and see...
08-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hi Folks,
It is interesting and wonderful to hear how photography has been able to help some folks with depression. It is more exciting to read how much Christ is a part of some folks lives as well...

Jim,
Religion is not good...don't get caught up in any of it...I am not religious at all...I am a simple person who has a relationship with Christ..Big difference and I did not intend this thread to go the route of religion, but as a way to simply express how photography is a great medication....

It is also good to know that we are not alone and can lift each other up what ever our beliefs....
Aw shucks, I don't worry about things like religious differences. I have my thoughts on the matter, just as each of us does, and the biggest thing I have always tried to do is just what your last sentence says. :-) We're all in it together, let's do our best to get along and play nice. This group just likes to play with cameras in hand!

Jim
08-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
Would this mean you can now charge your camera on your health insurance?
With as much medication as my insurance has covered, I'm sure that they they could've taken the money and bought me a K20 and maybe a lens or 2. I'd rather see the money go to Pentax/Hoya to further the development of even better cameras than to the bloated pharmaceutical companies, anyhow.

Today was a better day in the medication tapering effort--no headaches and very little nausea. I'll stay on 30mg per day for the next 3 weeks or so and then reduce down to 30mg every other day for about another month. Other than going out to lunch and running a few errands, all less than a mile from my house, I pretty much stayed home and puttered around all day. I cleaned out one bird feeder and refilled another, so hopefully the birds will return soon.

Heather