Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What to replace ZX-5N with??

I just ordered a Pentax Refconverter-A because I was planning to use it with my ZX-5N mounted to my wheelchair camera mount. My ZX-5N has been in the camera cabinet for nearly a year without use. In preparation for the refconverter arriving, I pulled out my ZX-5N, put the batteries in, fired a test shot... and the mirror stuck. Broken mirror motor gear!

I understand Eric Hendrickson no longer repairs this?

My dilemma now is, what to replace the ZX-5N with? I need to be able to use the Refconverter-A, as well as a Pentax Cable Switch F.
My initial thought is to find a PZ-1p... but the ability to use AA batteries is a huge benefit? Should I try a MZ-3 or ZX-5N again and hope it lasts?

02-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My ZX-5N died in the same way this year. I have a PZ-1p and some digital bodies and went back to the PZ-1p to shoot film. Assuming you don't want digital, either the PZ-1p or MZ-S would be good. Battery life on the PZ-1p is very good but the CR5 batteries are harder to find. The MZ-S was the last high end film body and uses the CR2 batteries (a little easier to find) and would be compatible with your accessories. Of course, digital is another way to go but to ensure continuity the film cameras are still great.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 02-27-2017 at 05:02 PM.
02-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
The MZ-S was the last high end film body and would be compatible with your accessories.
I think the MZ-S isn't compatible with the Cable Switch F?
02-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had both for a while but can't remember. You could be right that they switched to the modern remote.

Just checked and yes you are correct they switched away from that cable with the MZ-S. So PZ-1p it is......

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 02-27-2017 at 05:09 PM.
02-27-2017, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #5

See this thread on ordering a replacement gear (from Germany). Maybe if you have the gear, Eric can replace it for you. There are also DIY instructions in the thread.

MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
02-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I just ordered a Pentax Refconverter-A because I was planning to use it with my ZX-5N mounted to my wheelchair camera mount. My ZX-5N has been in the camera cabinet for nearly a year without use. In preparation for the refconverter arriving, I pulled out my ZX-5N, put the batteries in, fired a test shot... and the mirror stuck. Broken mirror motor gear!

My dilemma now is, what to replace the ZX-5N with? I need to be able to use the Refconverter-A, as well as a Pentax Cable Switch F.
My initial thought is to find a PZ-1p... but the ability to use AA batteries is a huge benefit? Should I try a MZ-3 or ZX-5N again and hope it lasts?
I'm a big fan of AA batteries, but found a rechargable battery for my PZ-1p, and I recommend that set up.
02-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I'm a big fan of AA batteries, but found a rechargable battery for my PZ-1p, and I recommend that set up.
What are you using for a rechargeable battery?

02-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Colton,

You live in the Portland area correct ? If so, you might see if Paul at Advanced Camera can fix your camera, he's a old Pentax tech, really knows what he's doing. He's done 12 Pentax SLR's for me, all work great with no problems, very reasonable pricing.

Advance Camera Repair

Another option if you really want a PZ1p, I have a extra one I picked from KEH in good working condition a few months ago. You can have it for whatever I paid for it plus you can have the F35-70 I put on it as a body cap.
02-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Colton,

You live in the Portland area correct ? If so, you might see if Paul at Advanced Camera can fix your camera, he's a old Pentax tech, really knows what he's doing. He's done 12 Pentax SLR's for me, all work great with no problems, very reasonable pricing.

Advance Camera Repair

Another option if you really want a PZ1p, I have a extra one I picked from KEH in good working condition a few months ago. You can have it for whatever I paid for it plus you can have the F35-70 I put on it as a body cap.

Thanks.
I'm in Southern Oregon, but I've used Advanced Camera before, I'll give them a call.
I actually just ordered a really clean Z-1p with "grip" from Japan. I'll keep y'all posted on how that goes.
02-28-2017, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks.
I'm in Southern Oregon, but I've used Advanced Camera before, I'll give them a call.
I actually just ordered a really clean Z-1p with "grip" from Japan. I'll keep y'all posted on how that goes.
Great !!

Hope it works out for you.
02-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #11

Thanks.
The problem are parts. It looks like the supply of replacement motors with the metal gear for the MZ/ZX series dried up a couple years ago. That's probably why Eric doesn't service these. Hence the link I posted for a suitable replacement gear. You just need a pinion gear puller/pusher to remove the old gear and install the new one. You can improvise but the proper tools make it much easier.
02-28-2017, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are you using for a rechargeable battery?
It looks like Amazon doesn't sell them anymore (or is at best sold out) but here's the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/PowerSmart-DURACELL-ENERGIZER-FUJIFILM-PANASONIC/dp/B...ntaxforums-20&

It was $24 after shipping.
02-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The problem are parts. It looks like the supply of replacement motors with the metal gear for the MZ/ZX series dried up a couple years ago. That's probably why Eric doesn't service these. Hence the link I posted for a suitable replacement gear. You just need a pinion gear puller/pusher to remove the old gear and install the new one. You can improvise but the proper tools make it much easier.
DIY service is pretty much out of question for me
02-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #14

DIY service is pretty much out of question for me
Well you can contact Advance and Eric and ask them if the can get parts for it - most likely the mirror motor. In Eric's case ask him if you can supply a replacement gear if he could fix it.

Or go with one of the other suggested bodies

I have an MZ-50 myself with both the broken flash lift and mirror lockup problems. I didn't think it worth my time to do a DIY fix on the gear problem. I tried to fix the flash popup but it appears the spring is broken as well as the pivot part. I might just cannibalize the notorious aperture solenoid and offer it (the solenoid) on the marketplace.
03-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Me too.

Hey, almost the same thing happened to me this week, and I've also been looking at gear replacement procedures, MZ-S, and PZ-1p. Hope your Z-1p works out for you.

---------- Post added 03-01-2017 at 09:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Colton,

Advance Camera Repair

Longbow, I'd be interested in your PZ1p. Can you send me what you want for it in a PM? Do you have a manual for it? I've got lenses, mostly interested in the body and instructions. Thanks!