Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
24 or 36 exposers

Hi folks...
I went to Santa Monica beach today to to play chess. Today my weapon of choice was my K1OOO with a fresh roll of BW400CN 36 exposer. Anyway I got to playing this older man who handed me my lunch.. Then I played this 15 year old kid who gave me the smack down as well...Turns out the older Gent is a grand master and the kid is a master...I did win my third game against another master so I quit on a good note...Anyway, those folks where genuinely excited that I was shooting film and one of the guys started to take some pictures with my camera of me playing these pros. Anyway, normally it takes me a few weeks to shoot 36 exposers, but I was so anxious to get this developed, It seemed like forever to shoot this many images...The last 10 or so, I really just snapped away to finish the roll....I remember the days when shooting 2 gigs worth of digital was nothing...Gosh it would taKe me for ever to shoot 2 gigs now...

Anyway, what do you folks prefer...24 or 36 and why?
Is there still 12 exposer rolls available?

Anyway, tomorrow I will post some of those images from the Santa Monica. I dropped of the roll for processing today...In the meantime, I will leave you with this image I shot with my cell phone...
The older man to the lower right is the chess master who also founded Chess park in Santa Monica..

08-09-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
36 is cheaper per exposes, the developing costs are the same for 24 and 36 exposes and if you're buying prints, it's still not that more more. The more the merrier I guess.
08-09-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I tend to get the 36 when I have the choice, for the same reason as pasipasi. But there are times when it takes forever to get to the end of the roll...

When I buy film at the drug store, whatever's on sale, and usually they come in 24's these days. And if I'm conscious while I'm buying, special purpose film like ASA800 I'd get in 24.

I look forward to seeing photos of you taken by a chess master!
08-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I tend to prefer having 24 exposures per roll of film. Unfortunately, none of the "pro" films are offered in the 24-exposure count. Fuji offers a 12-exposure roll of 100-speed color print film at Target. I have not seen this film elsewhere.

Glen

PS: I forgot to cite my reason...I will put it simply: 36 tends to be too much (it takes too long to get through a roll) and 24 seems to be about right. I suppose 28 or 30 might be perfect. Also, I tend to get 25 or 26 out of a roll of "24". Perhaps this is another reason why I like the "24" count. Interestingly, APS film is offered only in 25-exposure rolls.

Last edited by zx-m; 08-09-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo
08-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

When you prefer 24 over 36, wouldn't it be quite easy to just adjust your mind and expose the extra 12 shots with something that isn't that important, maybe take a walk outside?
08-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Geln - I'll be darned, I never did put two and two together, you are right about the pro film not coming in 24.

By the way, does anyone remember the days when it was 20 exposures not 24?

And no, I'm not hallucinating: pre 1980... although pre 1980 it may well have been hallucination...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/135_film
08-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
By the way, does anyone remember the days when it was 20 exposures not 24?
Of course. That's exactly why I prefer 12 exposure rolls. Reala comes in 12 if you can find it. In and out. No taking a walk outside. Biggest disadvantage is when you use more than 12... so you know when that will be and you load a 24. Going to the Grand Canyon? By all means, load 36.

I load 12/24/36 based on the job at hand.

woof!

08-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i'm hardly a film user (still ahve like 7 rolls i have to process)

but using 24 i think is better because it reduces the impact incase something goes werong

shooting 24 means you change film more often, this has the effect of safekeeping the 24 shots incase something happens during the other 12 that you are shooting

24 means more chances for you to double check your gear, if you incorrectly inserted the film and are snapping away thinking your good, atleast you will find this out after 24 shots instead of 36

the same for ruined film, you dont know if its gone until you process it, atleast this way you split that probability between rolls

just some statistical advice from a digi shooter
08-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Back in the day, my step dad had a big Pen FT collection. I got to use one & I used it for 10+ years before getting an OM2s. With half frame, 20 exposure rolls gave 40+ exposures, and 36 gave 72+! Needless to say I used 20 mostly, though on trips etc it was handy to just load up with 36 and shoot till the card was full

I like 36 for the cheapness factor; but happily shoot 24's when I get em. If I need to switch film I switch cameras. And with 120 film all ya get is 12 6x6, 18 6x4.5 and 8 6x9. That last number is a bit small but yeah, I go around with the Bessa and an extra roll.
08-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Normally if I'm shooting something that's not that important or if I'm testing a camera to make sure it works, I'll use 24 exposure. Most other times I use 36 exposure and yes, I remember when Kodak went from 20 to 24 exposure film.

CW
08-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Back in the day, my step dad had a big Pen FT collection. I got to use one & I used it for 10+ years before getting an OM2s. With half frame, 20 exposure rolls gave 40+ exposures, and 36 gave 72+! Needless to say I used 20 mostly, though on trips etc it was handy to just load up with 36 and shoot till the card was full
Some linguist could probably use this as the basis for a research grant.
08-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Some linguist could probably use this as the basis for a research grant.
glad you caught that.... after years of half frame, digital card capacity seems familiar.
08-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You can always buy bulk and roll your own, Kodak ...i think Fujifilm stopped or is available upon request ...standard 100' canisters.

Fujifilm Reala comes in 12,24,36 and is as close to "pro" as it gets.

I have no preference, shoot whatever i have and process as needed, un-shot frames or not.
08-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
Inactive Account

24 or 36 exposures

I usually shoot 24 lately because that is all I can find here. I shot 36 exposure film before switching to digital and now that I'm back shooting film the 36 exposure are harder to come by. May have to order some. Looking forward to the B&W's of the chess games.

Last edited by fishman; 08-10-2008 at 09:39 AM.
08-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Nesster: Indeed, pro film is 36 only. Further, any type of serious photographic equipment is always oriented toward the pro--cameras, films, accessories, and such. It would be nice if the camera and film manufacturers would realize that not all those who are serious about photography are pros--not all are fashion photographers shooting 36 exposures in 15 seconds, or wedding photographers shooting 36 exposures in five minutes.

Glen

PS: Yes, I vaguely remember my uncle's 20-exposure rolls.